It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:35 pm 

Is there a way to fine tune the folder permissions on the mv2120? I would like to setup the music folder with our entire library as read only. But from my understanding the itunes server will store the itunes library in the music folder also, which requires full access for everyone. (I don't want the kids accidentally deleting or moving files).

When I ssh to the linux kernel I can see the permissions set to rwx for all groups, with an owner of nobody. I can change them at this level, by setting the owner to my user and the permissions to 755. This will not allow other connected users to change or delete the files. I was hoping there was another way to do this.

Comments or Ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

You can use file permissions, in addition to share permissions to be more granular. I think you can do this without RDP into the MSS. I perfer to be on the machine when I make local file security changes at work.

Shares are kept pretty simple, and are all or nothing under WHS. I suspect that iTunes is not flexible enough to allow you to give your kids read only. I think the account underwhich iTunes interacts with the files needs write access. I do not know for sure, just a suspicion. All of my media files are Read Only on the MSS to all accounts but the local admin account. Not even I can delete a file on the MSS without logging in as another user. This keeps ppl from deleting files while using my PC.

"Oh, I thought I was deleting a copy that was on your desktop. I did not realize that the folder was a shortcut to the server. Can't you just get it out of the recycle bin" The words still make me want to take away all pc's from my sister. Maybe some ppl are too inept to own a computer.

Thanks