It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ok so i have lived at my new place for 3 years now. I am on my 4th router and it just died today. 3 of them have been linksys and 1 netgear. The linksys last about a year and the netgear lasted about 6 months. I am really getting tired of replacing routers every year. And not to mention you usually have to reboot the router about once a month. I run them all on UPS battery backup.

Is anyone out there running an actual cisco router (2600 series) or any other equipment. I am ready for something more reliable. any suggestions?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:22 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I've been running Dlink routers for years. First the DGL4300 when it was released , and I've had the DGL4500 gigabit router for a few years now since it was released. I can get over 900Mb/s throughput when going through the router from PC to PC. It has been excellent with the seventy devices i have on my gigabit network.
My only complaint is that the DHCP reservations are limted to 24 devices. With my DGL4300 it did not have such a low limit. So I can only have 24 DHCP reservations for the 70 devices I have so I have to be very selective about the devices I use it with.

the Dlinks have not gone bad and never needs to be rebooted.(although after I replaced my DGL4300 I took it over to my girlfriends house and the power supply went bad, but the actual router is still fine. I ended up getting a cheap DIR-615 router for her house since she doesn't need gigabit. And that has been fine for a year now. No reboots needed with that router either)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:32 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks I will look into the Dlink routers.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:16 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

aaronwt wrote:
So I can only have 24 DHCP reservations for the 70 devices I have so I have to be very selective about the devices I use it with.

Holy schmoly! Image Do the lights dim in your town when you turn everything on?

I think it may be time to move DHCP off the router and onto a server.

edit: I am using two Apple routers on my network and they've been fine. They are awfully expensive. I went the APple route because they were the only products that gave me a solid wifi signal throughout my home when I was setting this up in early 2004. I have had one for 3-4 years and replaced an old flying saucer model more than 2 years ago.

The main limitation is that you can't turn off DHCP without disabling NAT services. Other than that, it would be nice if the configuration was browser based instead of requiring a program installed on the client. They are currently set up in a WDS, and DHCP has been jury-rigged to permit my SBS server to handle that service. They are fairly stable once configured and do not normally require resets.

Last edited by Cliff on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 pm 

Hi ScottLucky13,

I fully understand your frustration having been there myself in the past and felt like I was wasting money on routers. I currently use a Linksys WRT610N and have been using it now for about 2 years and its provided me very solid performance and never requires a reset. I also have a DLink Dir655 that also works well that for a time I ran it in place of the WRT610N but I found I was more comfortable with the WRT610N and moved the DLink router to an offsite location where it serves me very well.

I think if you were to scan the forums you will see what others have been using and with great success and may also help you select a replacement router that better suites your needs. I have tried in the past swore at just about every manufacturers routers at one time or another including Linksys, Netgear, Belkin and DLink. Some have last less then 24 hours in the house others I have just stopped using and have given away to others telling them to antisipate having to reset them from time to time.

The two routers I have mentioned earlier have been good solid devices for me and I do encourage you to look at them and ask others for their opinions. Good Luck chosing your next router and try to get as many opinions on the various routers you have in mind as you finalize your purchase decision.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:19 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Cisco ASA1505 little brother to the ASA5510 runs exactly the same software.
Unbeatable stability, steep learning curve though.
Supports multiple DHCP/vlans + true DMZ and it's upgradeable with new features.
It's only 10/100 but who has a 100mb internet yet.
Pair it to a Gig switch and its rock solid.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:15 pm 

We got tired of using sub par routers and finally bit the bullet. We purchased all AirPort Extreme routers. We have had very little problems since then. I also like that you can update your firmware in one click from any mac in your house. We have never looked back.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:11 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm a NetGear person, but, Netgear prosafe (Blue) versions. I started with the FVS318 non wireless then went to the FVG318 for the wireless and now SRXN3205 for the giga.
These all have true VPN which I use to connect to the hospital where I work and have all worked very well. No reboots or failures. I did have a FVS318 get toasted on a powersurge.

They are pricy and Forget Netgear tech support ](*,) The higher price does seem to help on router purchases, but not the end all as you will see some cheaper ones work great. Just getting the right ones.

P.S. I always have at least 1 extra router on the shelf just in case.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:43 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Cliff wrote:
aaronwt wrote:
So I can only have 24 DHCP reservations for the 70 devices I have so I have to be very selective about the devices I use it with.

Holy schmoly! Image Do the lights dim in your town when you turn everything on?

I think it may be time to move DHCP off the router and onto a server.

I used a DHCP server for my home network in the late 90s and early 2000's. When the consumer gigabit routers became available I switched to them. I like using a router since they are much smaller and use very little power. I have a UPS set up on my router and main switches(along with my FiOS ONT) so I can get 16 to 19 hours of internet and TV use during a power outage. The Dlink switches and router, along with the FIOS ONT doesn't use much power so I can get the long runtimes from my UPS in that closet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:51 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

@Gardian, I too was a Netgear guy.
Also use the FSV318 however switched to the Cisco/Linksys RVS4000, then to the WRSV4400N.
But I always had issue's with the VPN compatability till I switched to the Cisco ASA5505.
A HUGE difference in both expense and complexity but you cannot argue with the functions and flexability.

BTW, I'm a Network Administrator for a Hospital in Central CA.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Finally! Someone else that goes through routers! I have my house on a surge suppressor in the electrical panel, Surged suppressed outlet on the circuit AND a damn backup power supply attached to my router, switch, and cable modem. I still lose them every two years or so. I now always buy them in pairs! My son's college house had a pile of bad routers (5 altogether). That pile and mine included 3 top tier brands so don't be disappointed.

BUY TWO!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:58 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I share your pain. I was using a LinkSys WRT54G for 4 years. Still works great, but now my network has expanded so much (2 laptops, desktop, server, IP cameras, NMT) that I wanted some more horsepower. Bought the Netgear WNDR3700 after reading tons of great reviews. Great hardware, but so far, no firmware out there that actually works. (Factory or 3rd party). Specifically Qos is broken, and with all I have on the network, that is a must. It's sitting on the shelf while I keep an eye on firmware development. I then bought a Linksys e3000, and put DD-WRT on it. Fantastic router. Not quite the hardware of the WNDR3700, but super solid so far.

Or, if you are a true geek, and have some old parts laying around, you might try to build your own. Check this out:

http://revision3.com/hak5/building-a-hi ... ome-router

I have the urge to try this. But don't have the parts laying around. Would have to buy them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:01 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

ScottLucky13 wrote:
Is anyone out there running an actual cisco router (2600 series) or any other equipment. I am ready for something more reliable. any suggestions?

Ubiquiti. If you want to run your firewall/NAT/DHCP on your wifi router their Air Router is good: http://www.ubnt.com/airrouter

Personally I use pfSense for my firewall on another box (a $200 HP Microserver I got on sale) so I only need a wifi bridge/access point. My next AP is going to be a Unifi Mini: http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

The only real issue with the Ubiquity gear is it's so popular it's often out of stock...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:10 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

John Pombrio wrote:
Finally! Someone else that goes through routers! I have my house on a surge suppressor in the electrical panel, Surged suppressed outlet on the circuit AND a damn backup power supply attached to my router, switch, and cable modem. I still lose them every two years or so. I now always buy them in pairs! My son's college house had a pile of bad routers (5 altogether). That pile and mine included 3 top tier brands so don't be disappointed.

Surge suppressors do not condition power. They use Metal Oxide Vararistors (MOVs) that give up a little of themselves with each surge, and eventually have nothing more to give. There is no way to tell when they are "used up".

They do nothing for continuous overvoltage or undervoltage (brownout). If your power really is that bad, you want a continuous or on-line UPS. Basically a battery with two inverters. One inverter runs of the batter and powers your equipment. The second inverter connects your battery to the mains and keeps the battery charged. $100 UPS's are "stand by" - there is one inverter and the UPS tries to detect power problems and switch to the battery quickly - if your power really is that bad at best those UPSs won't do anything more than a surge strip (not much) or at worse, they will try to always run from battery - the battery will run out and the UPS dies.

Online - "the real deal": http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/produc ... MXL2U.html

A decent compromise - stand by (or "Line Interactive" in UPS marketing lingo - sounds more sexy that stand by) that has some voltage regulation that will deal with some over/under voltage situations: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/produc ... s-ups.html

BEST power systems was my favorite UPS vendor, especially for online UPSs. Then APC bought 'em. Some of the APC units I can tell are the old BEST units - but they are few and far between - most of the APC stuff is consumer junk these days - coasting on their name :cry:

Thanks