It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:51 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

There are several things that folks should do to increase the speed, life, and storage space of a newly installed SSD drive. This info comes from two articles in Maximum PC and CPU mag.

Some of you have probably tried an SSD drive in their computer by now. I have a Vertex 2 60 GB as my boot drive and a 1TB Samsung as my 2nd drive.

1. The new Vertex and most new SSD drives run something called TRIM in Win7 that flushes and clears the static RAM periodically so that the drive does not bog down in erasing old data before it can write new data.

To verify that TRIM is running on your machine, Open a CMD prompt in Admin mode (type in CMD in Win7 search under start, right click on CMD and run as administrator). Type in

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

then hit enter. If the results come back DisableDeleteNotify=0 then TRIM is running. If 1 then enable TRIM by typing in

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0 (that is a zero!)

to turn it on.

2. Disable Hibernation on the system

3. Disable system restore.

4. Disable indexing

5. Turn off ReadyBoost.

6. This last one is a PAIN! Win7 writes all these small log files to C:\windows\System32\winevt\Logs on boot up causing the SSD to make hundreds of unnecessary writes (which wears out the RAM). Copy that folder over to your other regular hard drive. So under D: (or whatever the letter of your other hard drive) you will have D:\windows\System32\winevt\Logs
In Search orb, type in event viewer

You will see a bunch of folders on the left hand side starting with Windows Logs. Start expanding them. Under each folder is usually 2 or three events that you have to change the properties of! (The properties is on the right hand side).

For instance you will see under Log path:
%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-PublicAPI%4Diagnostic.etl

You need to change the path to the hard drive so replace %SystemRoot% with D:\Windows so the string now look like this:

D:\Windows\System32\Winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-PublicAPI%4Diagnostic.etl

Hit apply. Use copy and paste to save your sanity (Highlight %SystemRoot% and paste D:\Windows) . Rinse and repeat hundreds of times until all the properties have been changed under LOGS. Wait, there's more! Do the same for the Applications and Services log folder. There are a 100 or so that are blank (0 bytes) but I changed them anyways.

Well, that is what I found SO FAR for using a SSD boot drive.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank John Pombrio for this post
TheKitty, yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!