It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:14 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Turns out that Motorola is making a new cable modem that will do Docsis 3.0. I have NO idea if Cox has upgraded to Docsis 3.0 yet but it is inevitable. Nice thing is that there is a network port on the modem that supports 1Gbps to go with the rest of my system. Of course, ONCE AGAIN, Docsis 3.0 will be driven by, you guessed it, 3D TV and 1080P digital downloads. Should be coming in this week. I will let you know if it speeds up the net. Right now I average 25-30Mbps down and 3Mbps up.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-S ... 903&sr=8-1

EDIT EDIT EDIT 10-28-10 and the results are in:

Attachments:
Cable Speed 6-7-10.JPG
Cable Speed 6-7-10.JPG [ 27.59 KiB | Viewed 7672 times ]
speed test 1 9-28-10.JPG
speed test 1 9-28-10.JPG [ 28.32 KiB | Viewed 7672 times ]

Last edited by John Pombrio on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:30 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

It should make no difference unless you update to a higher speed product tier with your ISP. I'm with Comcast and am on their highest but one speed tier (~20+ Mbps down, 4Mbps up), which only requires a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. Their highest speed tier requires the DOCSIS 3.0 modem. FWIW, the 100Mb connection from the modem to my router is obviously sufficient to handle the traffic flowing through the modem. The rest of my network is either gigabit or 802.11n.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:23 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Cliff wrote:
It should make no difference unless you update to a higher speed product tier with your ISP. I'm with Comcast and am on their highest but one speed tier (~20+ Mbps down, 4Mbps up), which only requires a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. Their highest speed tier requires the DOCSIS 3.0 modem. FWIW, the 100Mb connection from the modem to my router is obviously sufficient to handle the traffic flowing through the modem. The rest of my network is either gigabit or 802.11n.

Yeah, I already have Cox's Premier service but I have not heard anything about Docsis 3.0 from them. I would NOT be surprised if they have it in the works as they are heavy into competition with ATT U-Verse which runs right by my house too! It's Cox's next logical step to go to Docsis 3 before bringing fiber to the home. Its all fiber on the street, but that last 100 feet is the problem.
Does not matter, Least I will have a backup cable modem if one of them croaks. Worth a try!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:27 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Yeah! All right! far out! Cool! Plugged in new Docsis 3.0 cable modem and the speed doubled down and 50% up! Well, on some of the sites it doubled... Cox had a weird auto setup mode on the browser so when I opened my browser there it was (even though Win7 thought there was no connection to the internet). It errored out but it was a good try. So needed to call Cox and give them the Customer number and MAC address on the bottom on the new Motorola 6120 cable modem, reset the router and it worked! Now to try out a torre.. err DOWNLOAD.
Yeah, I was concerned that the 10/100Mbps WAN connection on my D-Link GigaBit router would slow things down, no worries there..
BTW, just TRY to find a wired only GigaBit router newer than 2006. D-link and Linksys/Cisco didn't have any that I could find...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:17 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I can confirm, I just dumped my Digital Phone/ISP cable modem and got the newer Docsis3 Motarola giga. I went to ooma voip phone service for $3.45 a month.
My speeds almost doubled. Very nice. The cable CO said it was good that I did as they will be requiring them soon anyway.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:36 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Limited coverage tho. Look at this map and select the DOCSIS 3.0 box ONLY:
http://www.broadbandmap.gov/technology

pretty spotty coverage. The only thing worse is Fiber to the home. Frankly I am getting FTTH speeds on downloads as it is, only uploads are way faster with Fiber.

Thanks