It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: A/V Equipment Cooling
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:45 am 

The topic came up regarding how to ensure that your A/V equipment, servers, etc... are properly cooled, and that any A/V cabinet/Server Rooms get proper airflow. In my case, I have a built in wall unit where my A/V equipment is stored. The intention is to keep the cabinet doors where the A/V equipment is closed at all times. Unfortunately though, this has led to some heating issues (the PS3 fan sounds like an airplane, etc...). Since the wall unit is built in, I have limited access to anything except the front of the cabinet. The top of the cabinet had slots/grills built in to allow for better airflow, but it doesn't help if no air is moved in that direction. So the question is, what is the best way to make sure the cabinet stays properly ventilated and cooled?

Also, for anyone who has experience in this, please feel free to add any input on the process or your experience (i.e. How to plan properly if you are looking to build a server room, what to look for when shopping for or building an A/V cabinet, best/quiet products out there, etc...) Once we are done talking about this then the natural progression would be to discuss Wine Cellars and Cigar Rooms :mrgreen:

Wall Unit (A/V cabinet at bottom left)
Attachment:
IMG_1445 Resize.JPG
IMG_1445 Resize.JPG [ 81.03 KiB | Viewed 10151 times ]

A/V Cabinet
Attachment:
IMG_1449 Resize.JPG
IMG_1449 Resize.JPG [ 109.3 KiB | Viewed 10151 times ]

Grills/Slot at the top of the A/V Cabinet
Attachment:
IMG_1448 Resize.JPG
IMG_1448 Resize.JPG [ 59.39 KiB | Viewed 10151 times ]

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:49 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

In the earlier thread when I asked what was behind the unit I meant as in the room behind the unit. At my house the master closet abuts the fireplace and would allow access through the wall. I was curious if your situation was the same. If so, you could likely gain access that way.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:16 pm 

TxDot wrote:
In the earlier thread when I asked what was behind the unit I meant as in the room behind the unit. At my house the master closet abuts the fireplace and would allow access through the wall. I was curious if your situation was the same. If so, you could likely gain access that way.

Unfortunately not, behind that wall is the outside of my house, but I guess that would be the ultimate way to get ventilation, blast a hole through the outside :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:01 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Unfortunately not, behind that wall is the outside of my house, but I guess that would be the ultimate way to get ventilation, blast a hole through the outside :mrgreen:

:chainsaw:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:58 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

TXDOT: I had seriously debated the same reply! Got interrupted and forgot to come back to do it! Now you beat me to it!

PERFECT time to use that!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JohnBick wrote:
TXDOT: I had seriously debated the same reply! Got interrupted and forgot to come back to do it! Now you beat me to it!

PERFECT time to use that!

Great minds think alike. :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:46 pm 

It's a little hard to tell from the first picture but it looks like there might a hollow area under the front of the cabinet with a decorative treatment. If so, is that open so that it has air ventilation under there? If so, you might consider using postive pressure with a small fan or two located at the bottom to bring air in and to force the hot air out the "louver" at the top. Install some small, quiet fans at the bottom that would pull air in from that area and push it into the cabinet. You will need to either shorten each of the shelves by 3 inches or so to allow airflow behind from top to bottom. The heat will rise from the bottom to the top louvers and the positive pressure created by the fans will force the hot air out the top.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:29 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

...and you will want to make sure to keep the doors CLOSED to get that circulation!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:45 pm 

Texas-Hansen wrote:
It's a little hard to tell from the first picture but it looks like there might a hollow area under the front of the cabinet with a decorative treatment. If so, is that open so that it has air ventilation under there? If so, you might consider using postive pressure with a small fan or two located at the bottom to bring air in and to force the hot air out the "louver" at the top. Install some small, quiet fans at the bottom that would pull air in from that area and push it into the cabinet. You will need to either shorten each of the shelves by 3 inches or so to allow airflow behind from top to bottom. The heat will rise from the bottom to the top louvers and the positive pressure created by the fans will force the hot air out the top.

Good point, you are correct, there is a hollow area underneath the cabinet. Looks like I got some planning to do this weekend!!!

And trust me, I try to keep those doors closed at all costs (I have a child proof lock on them). Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Thanks