It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the board, DocNo, nice contribution. 8)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

DocNo wrote:
All4Fun wrote:
Apple: Doesn't own movie content. Needs partnerships
Sony: Owns a lot of movie content. Advantage, Sony.

I dunno, Jobs selling Pixar to Disney and sitting on Disney's board sounds like a partnership to me :)

I have Popcorn and a Turbo.264 - yes, there is an extra step to convert to h.264 but I get great space savings over all those other codecs, and once my content is in iTunes I can use it anywhere - Mac, PC, iPod, iPhone and AppleTV. With my new MacBook Pro and the Turbo.264, it converts just about in real time. I just drop content on Popcorn and then go to bed - in the morning it's in my iTunes library. I have every episode of Good Eats and several other TV shows converted from my Tivo - and now that I'm caught up, PopCorn downloads and converts from my Tivo automatically - I don't even have to do anything. Not a big deal, really. H.264 is simply a better codec, and more importantly it's an open standard (unlike Divix). Yeah, it's annoying that it's all the Apple supports for now - but relatively speaking, it's a small annoyance.

Also one shouldn't overlook that tight integration with iTunes - my mother purchase an AppleTV and I walked her through setting it up over the phone (basically just read the getting started thing to her while she did it). She would never download content over the Internet and couldn't care less about codec's like divix. She loves the fact that she can view her photo's on her TV while playing music - and it was as simple as her picking which photo's she wanted in iTunes and syncing them over. The integration is seamless - I wouldn't have recommended any other media server to her unless I was planing to be there for a visit to set it up. That seamless integration is what Apple is famous for - the entire end to end experience.

Anyway, as far as video goes, we are all on the cutting edge 8)

Netflix will probably be the most significant enabler of video over the Internet - it's mainstream enough, and they are slapping players in enough hardware (my Tivo and Xbox both stream netflix, and BlueRay players and some TV's now stream directly!) to make it mainstream. You can hack the AppleTV (boxee) to do Netflix, Hulu and the others - I suspect at some point things will converge and Apple may support them directly too. But even if they don't, as it is my AppleTV is pretty darn useful (but I certainly wouldn't mind if they evolved it more). This whole space is still defining itself - should be an interesting next couple of years!

Hey DocNo. Welcome to the forums. You sure came in with a bang for your first post! Glad you joined in the discussion.

Thanks for enlightening me. I did not know that Jobs was on Disney's board. That is significant especially as it's Disney with their great selection of movies.

In the context that you are referring to the Popcorn, it doesn't seem like you are referring to the Popcorn A-100 or A-110 media streamer that is also discussed quite a bit on these forums and is used by several of us.

I'll have to google the Popcorn that you are referring to. Turbo.264 seems like a little nifty device but is specific to the Mac platform so I can't try it out.

Anyway, thanks again for participating in the discussion

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:28 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I figured out what "Popcorn" DocNo was referring to. He's referring tot he Roxio Popcorn software available for the Mac platform which allows you to "Take your favorite TV shows on the go with TiVoToGo transfers".

I'm pretty sure the Mac folks are rather familiar with the product. More product info can be found here: http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/popco ... rview.html

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:36 pm 

Thanks for the welcome. I've been following WHS for some time, and the new Mac friendly enhancements this week got my attention.

All4Fun wrote:
I figured out what "Popcorn" DocNo was referring to. He's referring to the Roxio Popcorn software available for the Mac platform which allows you to "Take your favorite TV shows on the go with TiVoToGo transfers".

I'm pretty sure the Mac folks are rather familiar with the product. More product info can be found here: http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/popco ... rview.html

Yeah, sorry - I usually link to products I reference - thanks for doing my job for me :)

It also converts other media including ripped DVD's - it won't do DVD rips, but there are other programs that will rip DVD's with no issue. What it does do is work with the Turbo.264 which is an amazing little piece of hardware for the money (as long as you can live withing the restricted output sizes). It made converting video on my ancient G4 powerbook tolerable, but flies on my new MacBook Pro. And yes, it's Mac only - sorry. There are accelerators on Windows - and if you have NVidia based video cards, I think there is an experimental CUDA version of handbrake floating around - would be worth a google.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:20 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

DocNo wrote:
This whole space is still defining itself - should be an interesting next couple of years!

Heck I think it might be a very interesting next year (singular). With all the cool internet connected TV's and gadgets coming out of CES, the rumor of Apple's revamp of Apple TV and the progress that's been made thus far with internet video, I wouldn't be surprised if 2009 is when things really take off!

Thanks