It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: My noob-build PC!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:42 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

OK guys, I’ve finally got the funds together to build my very first HTPC and very first PC build.

I was hoping for you expert PC builders out there to take a peek at my components, and tell me if they look like they will work (as far as compatibility issues).
Once I get all the pieces I will be posting the build for all noobs out there. :D :mrgreen:

Thanks guys

Last edited by MaximAvs on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:25 am 

Sean,

Looks very similar to my build (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2282&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60)

Are you hoping to have your HTPC handle upconversion, or will you be going through a receiver? Also, make sure you have a spare mouse/keyboard lying around.

It took me about 2-3 hours on the hardware side (this was my very first build so I read and questioned everything) and about another 2-3 hours on the software side.

Any thoughts on what you plan on using as your HTPC remote?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:15 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

dbone...

Yup, I got a lot of the same stuff you used..in fact I think it might be identical except for the case.

I have a receiver (Onkyo 605) that will be doing my upconversion.

I picked up this remote
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Ultimate- ... 202&sr=8-2

This HTPC is really going to be used as an extender, simply pull movies off the MSS and display them in my theater.

Do you have any tips on you build I should be aware of?!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:41 am 

For me I made some stupid mistakes as a first time builder but nothing serious, stuff like not having the pins in correctly before putting in the mobo, not putting in the plate for the components in the case before putting in the mobo. Like I said, just stupid little mistakes that probably added an extra 5-10 minutes. I had to research how to add the stock cooler to the CPU (http://www.dansdata.com/coolers.htm). Also, I guess it is up for debate but get that artic silver thermal paste. Really everything else, you just want to get a feel for the case before you install everything to figure out what order you should put stuff in (i.e. will putting in the mobo first block the bay where the hdd or rom drive goes, etc...). The wires to attach some of the LED lights from the case to the Mobo weren't clearly marked, so I still have some installed that do not work, but it won't affect the system performance, just havent had a chance to open the case up again to fix.

Really, I was very intimidated at first, but pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. The hardest part is really picking out all the components.

I plan on doing HTPC #2 by year end hopefully

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:39 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I'm a little intimidated now even before ordering. I'm afraid of that point when you turn it on, praying that there isn't a "poof" and smoke.

My other concern is power supply to mobo connections. I don't want to connect the wrong plug to the mobo.

P.S. Why do you want to add the ATI 4670 onto your build?! Is the mobo no good?!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:19 pm 

The HTPC I built for my bedroom is not hooked up to a receiver, so the thought was that the ATI 4670 would serve to upconvert my videos. That is why I asked if you were using a receivers, some receivers will do the upconversion themselves so the extra GPU is not needed. I haven't added the ATI 4670 yet. It is not that expensive so I may add it later. For the HTPC I plan on building for my family room, it will be hooked up to my receiver which will automatically handle the upconvert.

I should point out that I am more then happy with my current config, just curious to see if there would be any benefits to adding the 4670. Only concern would be added noise with the GPU fan, as right now my HTPC is whisper quiet

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:22 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

MaximAvs wrote:
I'm a little intimidated now even before ordering. I'm afraid of that point when you turn it on, praying that there isn't a "poof" and smoke.

My other concern is power supply to mobo connections. I don't want to connect the wrong plug to the mobo.

P.S. Why do you want to add the ATI 4670 onto your build?! Is the mobo no good?!

dbone's right. The most painful part (besides coughing up the cash) is selecting the components. Building the PC is the easy part. Don't worry about the power connectors and such. They only go on one way. :mrgreen: Just take your time and you'll be fine!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:56 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
The HTPC I built for my bedroom is not hooked up to a receiver, so the thought was that the ATI 4670 would serve to upconvert my videos. That is why I asked if you were using a receivers, some receivers will do the upconversion themselves so the extra GPU is not needed. I haven't added the ATI 4670 yet. It is not that expensive so I may add it later. For the HTPC I plan on building for my family room, it will be hooked up to my receiver which will automatically handle the upconvert.

I should point out that I am more then happy with my current config, just curious to see if there would be any benefits to adding the 4670. Only concern would be added noise with the GPU fan, as right now my HTPC is whisper quiet

I will add a few comments about the 4670:

1. I've tried the Sapphire 4670 and I would consider it loud. Avoid that version of the 4670 if you are considering purchasing one.
2. I purchased the Asus EAH4670 for my quad-core build (not HTPC) and, while I wouldn't consider it loud, there is a light hum that you will hear. It's not annoying but your PC won't be quiet either and you will notice it above your whisper quiet HTPC.

My HTPC is attached to my LCD TV with no receiver so I only get 2 channel stereo and I've decided that any upconversion of any DVDs is not worth it. I do have a blu-ray drive in my HTPC and if I'm buying movies today, they are blu-ray ones negating the need for upconversion capabilities in the video card for blu-ray movies. That was the thinking anyway.

Nevertheless, the 4670 is a very cheap card at ~$100 for the capabilities it provides. I just don't know that I would add any card into an HTPC unless it had passive cooling where noise would be at a minimum (or opt to change the fan for a more silent one).

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:07 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hey Sean:

I agree with the other posters about your build. It's really not as intimidating as it may appear to put a computer together. Just take your time to connect the cables to the motherboard. One caveat that I've encountered is I'm never sure what direction I should connect the power cable and reset cable. My "trick" (and this is no guarantee) is to have the writing on the cable for "HDD", "Reset", "Power" facing me as I'm connecting them. Your mileage will vary and the manual may make it clearer (mine didn't) but it's worked out for me thus far and I've built 3 computers from scratch lifetime and tinkered with/repaired countless others.

I'm not familiar with your case and some might say a case is a case but I don't view it that way at all. A well made case will have rounded edges so that you're not cutting yourself and make it easy to access and change components during the lifetime of the computer. It shouldn't be a chore to open it up and make changes to the internals.

Other than that, you will be perfectly fine. If you can put together your "Boom Boom" room, you can put together this "Chirp Chirp" HTPC. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:18 pm 

Just to add to Richard's post on the 4670, the HTPC in my bedroom is really just for my wife and I. All movies we would watch are Blu Ray/HD DVDs, so upconversion is not an issue as the Mobo is sufficient to handle (either on the Blu Ray/HD DVD drive or the 1080p mkvs). It is probably more out of curiosity then anything else, especially given that it is not that expensive. Has anyone done a comparison on standard dvds (mobo integrated graphics vs 4670)?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:23 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Has anyone done a comparison on standard dvds (mobo integrated graphics vs 4670)?

I'm sorry Damian. I didn't take the time to do the comparison before throwing in the 4670 into the machine (non HTPC). I really only got the card to enhance my son's PC games.

As we are gadget freaks, the urge will likely get the better of you and you will get one to try it out. :)

EDIT: I've decided that "gadget freaks" is not very PC (sorta like calling an administrative assistant a secretary). I've decided to call ourselves "Technology Evangelists". (that's the best I could come up with). :)

Last edited by All4Fun on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:31 pm 

All4Fun wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:
Has anyone done a comparison on standard dvds (mobo integrated graphics vs 4670)?

I'm sorry Damian. I didn't take the time to do the comparison before throwing in the 4670 into the machine (non HTPC). I really only got the card to enhance my son's PC games.

As we are gadget freaks, the urge will likely you get the better of you and you will get one to try it out. :)

Haha, that is why I am trying to turn my attention to building another for my family room, to avoid the temptation of tinkering around with my current one :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:08 pm 
ubermensch

Sean,

Don't let all this about the graphics card get you freaked. It is really a non-issue for the moment You can always add it later if you want or need it. You CAN do upconversion through the receiver, and if you want more later, it's a plug and play deal, no worries. The jury is still out on this in any case.

I would offer that while cases with built in PSU's seem like a bargain, the PSU's are often not very reliable or efficient. My own experience would have me get the PSU as the cornerstone. Having said that, again you can always replace it. So I say pull the trigger and do it, dude! It's all good.

And next week you'll be an expert, too.... :mrgreen:

PS-Order the smallest tube of Arctic Silver thermal compound.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:23 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jd33308
Won't my CPU come with some thermal paste?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:54 am 
ubermensch

MaximAvs wrote:
jd33308
Won't my CPU come with some thermal paste?

You know, I don't remember...I don't believe so, I always use the Arctic Silver in any case. Perhaps one of the other guys used something else?

Oh, and another thing, make sure you get an HDMI cable (get it from Monoprice, Newegg is shameless with shipping on cables), the mobo doesn't come with one.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next