It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:00 am 

I think I would have to say I am sold on HTPCs being the way to go (you are only limited by your PC). I don't like the "Z" or SlingCatcher because it hijacks your PC. Although I do own AppleTV and love the interface it does nothing more then collect dust now due to file restrictions, if they open it up to VOBs, mkvs, etc... then I think they take a big chunk of market share... But anyway, this thread is about the SlingCatcher which I still don't get. The "projector" feature maybe would have worked 5 years ago but not now given all the other products out there. I see no reason to purchase just to use as a "cable box". A cable box for me runs about $10 a month, so it would take 30 months before the slingcatcher broke even with just getting a box from your provider....just don't get it...

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:44 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
I think I would have to say I am sold on HTPCs being the way to go (you are only limited by your PC). I don't like the "Z" or SlingCatcher because it hijacks your PC.

But isn't it the same as a dedicated HTPC hooked up to your TV, except for the fact that you don't have to have your computer right next to your TV (which is tacky to me).

dbone1026 wrote:
Although I do own AppleTV and love the interface it does nothing more then collect dust now due to file restrictions, if they open it up to VOBs, mkvs, etc... then I think they take a big chunk of market share... But anyway, this thread is about the SlingCatcher...

Being that this is the "Off Topic" forum, I don't mind talking Apple TV a bit. :D

Don't get me wrong, I wish there were fewer DRM restrictions, but I look at it this way: if all you have is a DVD, you're pretty much relegated to DVD players and physical media if you're playing by the rules.

With Apple, it's all digital and you can take your movies and shows with you on your iPhone or iPod (which we plan to do to entertain my baby daughter on the plane ride to Dallas this Thanksgiving).

Plus, you get the convenience of instantly watchable downloadable rentals, which is great if you don't like waiting for the mail or driving to the store where all the good movies being out of stock.

PLUS, you get free on-demand content via YouTube and Video Podcasts, the ability to control everything over WiFi via your iPod Touch/iPhone, you have no-touch synchronization with the downloads on your computer, etc., etc.

How can you not like the Apple TV?!?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:01 am 

boulder_bum wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:
I think I would have to say I am sold on HTPCs being the way to go (you are only limited by your PC). I don't like the "Z" or SlingCatcher because it hijacks your PC.

But isn't it the same as a dedicated HTPC hooked up to your TV, except for the fact that you don't have to have your computer right next to your TV (which is tacky to me).

I guess my point with this is that if you want complete flexibility then an HTPC is the way to go. A lot of the HTPC cases you can use actually look like A/V equipment, so you don't have to have the "tacky" look of a tower sitting next to your tv. Although an HTPC is a little more expensive, prices have come down dramatically, especially if you decide to build one yourself

dbone1026 wrote:
Although I do own AppleTV and love the interface it does nothing more then collect dust now due to file restrictions, if they open it up to VOBs, mkvs, etc... then I think they take a big chunk of market share... But anyway, this thread is about the SlingCatcher...

boulder_bum wrote:
[Being that this is the "Off Topic" forum, I don't mind talking Apple TV a bit. :D

Don't get me wrong, I wish there were fewer DRM restrictions, but I look at it this way: if all you have is a DVD, you're pretty much relegated to DVD players and physical media if you're playing by the rules.

With Apple, it's all digital and you can take your movies and shows with you on your iPhone or iPod (which we plan to do to entertain my baby daughter on the plane ride to Dallas this Thanksgiving).

Plus, you get the convenience of instantly watchable downloadable rentals, which is great if you don't like waiting for the mail or driving to the store where all the good movies being out of stock.

PLUS, you get free on-demand content via YouTube and Video Podcasts, the ability to control everything over WiFi via your iPod Touch/iPhone, you have no-touch synchronization with the downloads on your computer, etc., etc.

How can you not like the Apple TV?!?

I agree with your assessment of AppleTV, HOWEVER, it depends on what media you want to play (nothing to do with DRM). In my case, I put all my DVDs onto my PC, all my standard dvds I just store as VOBs keeping the dvd structure in tact. All Blu Ray/HD DVDs I convert to 1080p mkvs. AppleTV handles zero of this (I am not including the hacks out there because even though I have done the hack on my AppleTV I have a problem with the fact that you spend $$$ on a product yet need to hack it to get the desired functionality), so it serves no purpose to me. My goal is to keep my physical dvds as backup/storage, and use the files stored on my MSS to stream around the house. I don't have an Ipod or IPhone so that integration with the AppleTV doesn't really matter for me. Also, I never really understood the purpose of watching videos on such a small screen, but that is just me. When I travel with my son I have my laptop with me, so i can put on any movie on a nice 17' screen. The DRM is a completely different issue. IMO you purchase a movie/music from Apple you have just locked yourself into their products, which works great for Apple the company but what does it really do for the user. If I purchase a product I want the flexibility to use it how I want and not be stuck to a brand.

Not trying to say I am right and you are wrong, just pointing out how a person's individual situation can affect how "functional" you view a product.

I will admit, the one thing I think AppleTV nailed is movie trailers, that is the only time I dust it off (why haven't Xbox/PS3 learned this instead of having to download...)

As I mentioned, if AppleTV were to open up its file format support then I may just have to change my tune!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:42 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
Also, I never really understood the purpose of watching videos on such a small screen, but that is just me.

For me, it's useful for when, e.g., I'm taking the Light Rail (electric train) to work when I go downtown. I'm only going to take a device that fits in my pocket, and I can sneak in a Futurama episode on the way, even when I'm standing up because it's small and light enough to fit in my hand.

dbone1026 wrote:
When I travel with my son I have my laptop with me, so i can put on any movie on a nice 17' screen.

I guess it's like the difference between a CD player and an .MP3 player to me. Yes, you can take your media with you if you want to carry around all the discs, but it's nice to have it all fit in your pocket vs. a small suitcase and be able to download it from a hotspot instead of finding it in stock at the store.

That said, we're actually planning on buying a portable DVD player with video-in for the trip so we can use the iPhone's TV-out cables to have a bigger screen and two headphone jacks.

I agree with the DRM comments, though. It sucks that it's there, but I suspect the movie industry won't let any major manufacturer allow support for such files, unfortunately.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:19 am 

boulder_bum wrote:
I guess it's like the difference between a CD player and an .MP3 player to me. Yes, you can take your media with you if you want to carry around all the discs, but it's nice to have it all fit in your pocket vs. a small suitcase and be able to download it from a hotspot instead of finding it in stock at the store.

Actually, in the case of my laptop, I simply transfer my movies from my MSS to my laptop so no need to mess around with discs anymore, no reformatting, etc.... I was considering getting a portable dvd player, but then I would either be stuck carrying around discs, or I would have to go your route, get an mp3 player, reformat all my movies, etc...

But I think our back and forth just highlights the issuers with media extenders, etc... How long have we been hearing that before we know it all our media will be at our fingertips. Things have definitely progressed and many companies/devices have gotten close, but there is still not that one perfect device/solution. You definitely nailed it though on the DRM, the movie industry will never allow the big manufacturers to loosen up their restrictions. All that does is impede progress but does allow for some of the smaller market companies to develop niche products (i.e. SageTV, PCH, IStar, etc...)

Thanks