It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I am contemplating building a htpc to replace my ex490.
So I am looking at linux for a OS.( Because it is free)
Also using xbmc. but stream to other devices like Dune and popcorn and other DLNA devices.
But my stumbling block is what storage method to use.
Raid 10,01?, or JBOD? or whatever.
My read speeds seem to be the culprit for HD video. Probably due to converting to wd reds for my storage pool.
The media worked fine with wd eads drives before.
But I have issues with blueray3d and 2d rips in iso.
I want the best performance of reads for my media. To eliminate any studdering to multiple media players.

Of course I would like to keep all the features that whsv1 gives me, mixed size data drives,client backups,duplication.
Drive size issue is due to the ever increasing size of drives available.
I currently have 4-2TB WD reds, 1-3TB red, 1TB black,1-TB segate lp

Any Ideas?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:57 am 

Wow this post is getting old fast and I really can not believe no one has responded.

To do RAID Properly it gets expensive and for what you have in mind I do not think you need it.

To keep what your use to in WHSv1 I would recommend you setup a 64 bit Win 7 or 8 box running Stablebit Drive Pool for Windows which will provide you with a simple easy to use drive pool with duplication. I will also mention that if you one day wanted to move that pool to a new server say WHS2011 or WS2012 you could easily migrate the pool. Also you can mix and match drives and Stablebit Drive Pool does support the larger then 2TB Drives which means you do not need a ton of drives. The other thing here is the cost to purchase a Stablebit Drive Pool License is dirt cheap at $20 and the license can be moved to different hardware so your not locked into just one piece of equipment like most licenses.

I am certain you might have a computer you can repurpose that already has an OS on it like most of us that might just get the job done. You can install and use Stablebit for free for like 30 days just to test it out and see how you like it. Unless of course your looking to install another OS into your server or maybe your looking to build something a bit more robust.

Personally I would leave the server to do its client backups and central file storage tasks which it will do well and go with another device to store your media which you can stream from on your media devices. As you are well aware I moved away from WHSv1 back in 2011 but I still use it for specific tasks which I will eventually move over to my primary server but its hard to let go of that WHSv1 server which I am still fond of.

Not sure if you proceeded with this project or not but felt the need to chime in since the post was getting old.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:34 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thinking of your comment.
First I have decided either way raid or JBOD I am going to build a net new box.

I was looking at a case that holds 8 drives but still fits on the shelf with my other AV equipment.
Well most psu's that fit only have 6 sata power connectors but that can be resolved with the power extender cables.
But then looking at motherboards you usually only get a max of 6 sata data ports
Unless you go for a full size ATX and the case I looked at would not fit a atx board.
I believe it was you that posted here about a cable that allows you to connect two drives to one data port.
but I could not find it.
I assume it will only work on JBOD not raid?

The reason I ask is because of the smaller form factor mother boards I will be limited to very few pci slots.
And I don't want to waste a slot if not needed.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:25 pm 

I believe what your asking about was the 2 Bay 2.5" Icy Dock enclosure which can be setup JBOD, RAID 0 or 1 but I believe that enclosure has since been discontinued. I have one in an EX48x setup to Raid 1 Mirror for the OS. It was Gardian who first mentioned it and I thought I would try one out. In order to run both drives JBOD you need to connect it to a SATA Port which is Port Multiplier Aware.

Although not available you can still see the device on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

What I would recommend is to get a motherboard with either a PCIe-X4 or X8 slot and connect a drive controller to it that will support 8 drives like the one in the following link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Then you can connect an SF8087 Forward Breakout Connector Cable which will support 4 Drives each like the one in the following link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 16-116-097 the only thing you need to make sure of is that the cable is long enough to reach the drives. There is a very similar cable that looks the same which is a reverse breakout cable and the difference is the direction in which is communicates so make certain its a forward breakout cable.

Now I intentionally left out the X16 slot because on many motherboards the X16 is used for Graphics Cards only and will not work with other types of cards even though its should so if you wanted to connect that particular card to an X16 slot you really need to make sure the slot will support cards other then Graphics Cards.

I mention this card because I own 5 of them and they work well. Back in 2011 when I was building Highlander I did have an issue with 1 of my cards but I was able to return it for a replacement with Newegg. There are other similar cards available but these have given me the best bang for my buck in my Server which originally ran WHS2011 and now runs WS2012E.

I will also mention that I purchased 2 used off eBay from a person who also was using them in his server but he ran into an issue with them when he installed something which I forget but that was a Linux Server Build but they tested fine here. Some have reported that when you run more then one they ran into issues. I have 3 of them in my server and they work perfectly fine although one does not show up during the boot process but its working so that's all what matters to me. I don't actually need the 3rd card but wanted all my storage pool drives to be run on the same type of controller so all told in my build I can support 32 drives between the MV8 cards and Motherboard.

If you just needed say one SFF8087 connector there is a PCIe-X2 card available on eBay for $66.24 http://www.ebay.com/itm/161217084741?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT I never played with this but at first glance it looks like x1 but its x2 and I just did not feel like cutting the card to run it in an x1 slot so I never bought one.

With drive capacities increasing in size the need for large compliment of drives goes away but on the flip side if a large 4 or 6 TB drive goes south it takes a lot of data with it so there is good and bad in large drives.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Digesting!!!
Thanks

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:22 pm 

Your welcome. Lots of info there but you can also see this card was used in Cavedivers WHSv1 DIY Build viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4816

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:08 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I always thought sas had very limited drive size support less than what whsv1 supports.
There is a newer card now with 6gb transfer speed in lieu of the 3gb.
AOC-SAS2LP-MV8
http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... LP-MV8.cfm
Can't find any real info on the card though to compare it to the one you have used.

What is the largest drive you have used on the
AOC-SASLP-MV8?

Also I found cables that are 1meter long .
http://www.rosewill.com/products/2462/P ... erview.htm

I am thinking since I have a lot of 2tb drives now I may stay with them for now.
Even with 2TB it takes forever to copy a 1.8TB.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:09 am 

I have 4TB Drives running off the MV8 card I listed. The card you listed is JBOD vs the card which I listed supports JBOD and RAID. I have never played with the newer card but I am aware of its existence. If you look at my Signature you can see the Server Build I have the cards running in.

The Forward Breakout cable you listed looks good. If you go that route I suggest you label it as a Forward Breakout Cable just incase you ever build something with an SFF8087 Backplane like the Norco Enclosure has and lets say you want to connect the cable to the motherboard SATA Ports then you would need a Reverse Breakout Cable and when you have a mixed environment of these cables its to damn confusing.

Supermicro does make other cards with the MV8 Reference and far to often end-users like myself will just call them MV8's so if you happen to read a post about an MV8 check to see which card the person is actually talking about because the other card just has SATA ports on it and I am aware that one has its own set of issues.

I have already mentioned the PCIe-x16 slot on some boards that only work with Graphics cards and that one sucks because I have an Intel Board like that and while for the most part it works I am about to replace it with a Gigabyte FX990 board because they have worked out well for me and they do have x4 and x8 slots.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:05 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

But if I do want to do JBOD in lieu of raid that is a option(bigger,faster,better).
If I choose the new board thought I don't have a option to try raid.

Funny you mention Gigabyte FX990 chipset.
I have a desktop I built using that chipset, but it is a amd+3 socket with win7x64 using a ssd system drive.
It is awesome with a 8 core cpu.
Problem is my wife claimed it for her use.
I am using my old Dell with vista X32.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:15 pm 

I am using both Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 and GA-99FXA-UD3 both have the AM3+ socket. On the UD3 board I have an FX8120 8 Core CPU installed. Not that I need 8 cores just wanted to have it to say I have it.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The hard part about replacing WHS any version, is the network backup software.
I have not seen much else talked about out their to replace it. I am backing up 10 PC's.

I think Acronis has something that will do it, but checking there site, it looks like 3 PC's is all ya get. Now if you only need to backup 3 pc's and want to pay (min) $47.99 and $170 for the unlimited.
And I'm not a fan of Acronis.

I'm not a huge fan of daily backups anyway so it wouldn't matter to me, I make full images twice a year and keep them on an external 2tb drive. Everybody has been told to keep their data on the shares, not local so it is eaiser to not use the backups.
But if you like backups, good luck.

I agree with Comp1962, keep the media smart for backups and file/photo/music sharing and then you can build a heavy lifter box for the video media.
I also agree using Stablebit drive pool to combine all those drives and I would get SMART, but it does not read from some of the expander cards.

I have a heavy lifter box (Shuttle) max'ed out the cpu and ram with a SSD win7 pro, it runs headless and I do all my ripping/converting on it, it is attached to my flatbed scanner and has tons of applications installed on it so it leaves my desktop pretty clean. I also bought the paid version of SMART to keep an eye on the drives.

Goodluck with your project, many are looking for a replacement and it's hard to find for the price that the media servers went for.
I plan on using my mediasmart as long as I can, if nothing else it will become just a file share box and windows 8 and coming windows 10 I believe have backup software in them, ya just need somewhere to point to, to store them, so might not need the connector anymore.

Let us know which way you went, many others are looking so all ideas are good ones :-)

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

well with my win 7 and win8 64 boxes the built in backup appears to be much improved and you can add it to the task scheduler.
Such as network storage for one.
You can opt for a disk image but it suggests that you make a bootable recovery disk instead or relying on the original windows os disk.
I tried this on xp and vista and never liked it much.
Prior to purchasing the ex490
So I will try it first on my win7 64 because I am upgrading the 128gb ssd to 240gb ssd.
Before you ask why.
It is because I added a library drive for all the data files such as pdf and word docs for my wife to use. But my wife saves everything to the desktop. Had to buy additional monitor for dual display to fit all the shortcuts.
So the data drive is still almost empty.
Forget about her saving files to the server.Sigh.

Also as a note:
I don't stream to my Tv's.
I play the raw files via a popcorn or Dune player.
I gave up on Twonky years ago even with a separate license it did not do well. So I gave up on DNLA. And I like the option of a full disc menu.
But in looking for the holy grail for a gui front end for movies, photos and music.
I think the only one to consider is the XBMC.

Also as far as a htpc case I am going with the SilverStone GD08B.
I wish to have nothing external as far as storage.
Even if I need to go beyond and not stuff 8 drives in the case.
It fits in my AV shelf

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:23 am 

Hey when your wife is not looking just move those files to the server and change her shortcuts to point to the server. Trust me she will not know the difference unless connectivity is lost to the server or if she is using a notebook and takes that thing with her everywhere.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:35 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I use serviio, which is not free, but work great on my 55" samsung tv. There is a beta addin for WHS v1 for the newest version.
Good luck.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:34 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Okay progress.
I overbuilt it but I wanted support for haswell and z97 with sata express and M2
I purchaced a :
Silverstone Grandia gd-08
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU
ASUS Z97-E Motherboard
Silverstone ar02 cpu cooler
Intel Core i5-4590S Haswell Quad-Core
ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X
OCZ Vector 128GB SSD
Windows 8.1 retail

ON order is a 3tb wd red

Still need to purchace or obtain
stablebit
SAS card and breakout cable.
flirk for ir control
xmbc

My plan at this stage is to move my older 3tb wd red from the esata that is a backup drive for the ex490.
And use the ex490 as a pc backup machine only.
Now the hp laptop win8.1 64 already is a issue for using the restore disk because I can't get it to boot with the pc restore disk and have usb enabled to load the drivers. probably a oem issue because the 1tb drive has 5 partitions and two are hidden. So I may need to come up with a different backup strategy
but I think this build will work with the ex490.

Then once I get the sas card I will migrate the extra 2tb wd reds not needed for backups to the new build

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks