It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:52 am 

Currently looking at

1) Thecus N5550 NAS Server - http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... r-reviewed

2) Synology - http://www.synology.com/products/produc ... 13&lang=uk

3) QNAP - http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=e ... 22&n=13444

Which one is best?

-b

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 am 
Founder
Founder

This site is about the MediaSmart Server and WHS, if you want to talk about other products you should post in Off-Topic or another site. Moving this post to Off-Topic.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't own any of the above mentioned devices, I have HP mediasmart servers that I stream from, but I try to be helpful if I can. So I'm doing some looking. Streaming is more of a what software you are using to stream with the thing I think, but hardware does play part in being able to move the data.

[Thecus N5550 NAS]
This was noted as being a good price as Nas'es go, doesn't have anything to do with streaming but is something to take into consideration, I think.
It has a giga nic so speed on the network would be giga. It has a atom cpu.
iTunes Server Supports AAC, MP3 w/ID3 tag and WAV
Piczza!™ Photo Server (via module) Supports GIF, JPG (JPEG), BMP and PNG Supports EXIF display Supports slide shows
Media Server Supports uPnP AV streaming protocol (via Twonkymedia module)

[Synology]
I seem to see alot of talk about this system being a good thing, solid I guess would be the work, it has a giga nic so network speeds would be good, it has a atom cpu, I see they have three softwares for streaming and they call them,
Video Station
Audio Station Don't really know anything about these....
Photo Station
In the specs I got "Plex and Logitech Media servers, Drupal and Joomla"

I think If I was going to go NAS ( I won't ) I would Go Synology:

[QNAP]
Both of the other NAS'es were atom cpu powered, this one is Marvell-powered so it seemed like it was lacking power wise compared to the others, this could effect streaming.
Also, it seemed to reference the same streaming software as the [Synology] so, to me this would be a last choice because of the hardware.

All three had reviews on smallnetbuilder.net where the first review came from.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas

For me and my limited knowledge on all of these I would be tempted by the price of the [Thecus] but would go with [Synology] as I said the [QNAP] would be last as the hardware is lacking a bit compared.
I think streaming is dependent on a solid hardware and software platform that work good together and is well supported and I think [Synology] has the best going for it and it has the ability to expand pretty easy. But from what I hear you will pay the price, it's not cheap.

I will most likely never have a NAS because I don't like that the data is in a proprietary format and I can't just pull a drive and read it. So I'm stuck (at least for now) with a windows based solution.
Hope this helps, again I'm not an expert, just a reader/thinker.
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks