It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Bitcasa, anybody?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

My WHSv1 is getting old and a bit wobbly, so I have been looking for alternatives. I will probably buy some new HDD's (3 of the current ones are developing problems) and go for Windows Server 2012 Essentials, but before I do that I was looking for cloud solutions.
I read about Bitcasa in a comment on this site and decided to try it out. At $ 69 a year (currently I thinks it's $ 99) for infinite storage, this seems a really good/cheap solution. I installed the Bitcasa desktop app. Works a lot like Dropbox, but without the need for a local copy for every file you use.

However, using the app has not been all that smooth. it seems to hog a large amount of system resources and has caused several crashes. Also the upload speed is not good. I have a glasfiber 100Mbit/s / 100Mbit/s connection but only get an upload speed to the app/Bitcasa of about 2 to 4 Mbit. On good days. Download speeds regularly drop below 1 Mbit/s. Since I am planning to upload all of the 7 TB I have on the server, uploading is taking a very long time. The Bitcasa helpdesk is helpful enough. Responses to my questions are quick and to the point, but unfortunately the problems have not really been resolved yet.

Download speeds are better, and seems to be sufficient to directly stream to my mediacenter PC (MediaPortal on an old PC), although I havent tested this thouroughly yet

So I was wondering if anyone else is using Bitcasa as a replacement/backup for their entire server. And even maybe is using it as a Media Center solution?

Bert-Jan

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Bitcasa, anybody?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:18 am 

As far as your upload and download speeds that may have more to do with the amount of bandwidth provided by your ISP and how busy the cloud storage server is at the time of your testing. With all or most internet connections the Upload speed is lower than the download speed. In my case I can in theory download at up to 100Mbps but the max upload is up to 5Mbps. I would agree the speeds your reporting are way too slow and are worth trying at different times of the day and days of the week to see if the speed is an isolated issue or if its consistent.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:12 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

One of the good things of the glasfiber connection where I live (Enschede, the Netherlands) is that the connection for upload and download are theoretically the same. This is the main reason I recently switched to glasfiber. Imagine being able to download from your server with 100 Mbit/s ;-)
Off course this is theory, but a test at speedtest.net shows my downloadspeed at around 90 Mbit/s and my uploadspeed at 86 Mbit/s. Not really 100, but still quite good

Using different times of the day does change things, but not that much. Mornings are optimal, as from our point of view you over there are all fast asleep ;-) Still, even then speeds are not real good. With the crashes of the app and the slow upload it took me days to get to where I am now; at around 1,4 TB.
6,5 to go...

Nevertheless, Bitcasa has a lot of potential and, given some more maturity, might be a good alternative to the server.

Bert-Jan

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:03 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

That is partly why I will not use the cloud. My upload on a good day is 1meg so it would take forever to upload.
By the time I got everything up the company would be long gone, which brings me to the 2nd reason I will not use the cloud, who know when your cloud goes bye-bye. And 3rd. reason why no cloud for me is I don't need other people having access to my stuff, even if it is boring, it's personal.

You guys with your "to die for" internet speeds. CRUSE My ISP :-#

This is the hospital Speed, yep, the largest Hospital in town!

Attachments:
hospital.jpg
hospital.jpg [ 16.92 KiB | Viewed 19347 times ]

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:14 am 

Damn I only get 5 up and 100 Down and I need more, more, more and yet the fast it goes the more we still need.

I am not a big fan of using the Cloud for backups myself. I would rather use the money on expanding or updating my servers. Not quite certain any data stored with the companies which provide backup services is actually safe and systems are always being hacked and even our own little home networks are not really safe from intrusion unless you pull the plug.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks