It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So I bought a house 3 months ago and Im looking to do a homerun or structured wiring (not sure correct term). I was wondering if anyone has experiance with this. any suggestions on where and how many data ports I should have. I would also like to server my PS3 to multiple TVs, is this possible? what else should I consider?

My house is about 1600sqft I didnt think that was to bad for first home. here is a pick for layout. we want to mount a tv over fireplace in the bonus room and one in the living room. Not sure about bedrooms, maybe guest and master?!?!?!

Attachments:
House.jpg
House.jpg [ 64.84 KiB | Viewed 48635 times ]
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:23 pm 

What exact wiring are you looking to run, networking (cat5e/6), Coax, etc... I assume you will have full access to cut into your walls if need be? Can you get around in the attic easily to drop cables down the wall?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I was thinking about Cat 6 and im not sure what other cabling i should think about at this time. I dont subscribe to cable or satellite I use antenna at the current time.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:32 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I was thinking about Cat 6 and im not sure what other cabling i should think about at this time. I dont subscribe to cable or satellite I use antenna at the current time.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

I ran cat6 in a few rooms in my house a year ago and again a few months ago. Since it was upstairs it was relatively easy because I had access to the attic. I actually talk a little about it here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/12 ... -projects/

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/01 ... take-deux/

If you can get around in your attic that would be the best option. What do you have in mind?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:06 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Here is what I know at this point. Never buy a flip house. The seller cut corners and if he ripped it open he didnt insulate when he sealed it up. Since i was looking in summer I didnt think much of it. now its cold Im singing another tune. Since its an older house Im upgrading the electrical also. I was told by the blown in insulation guy to complete everything I can before I get the installation done as you dont want to disturb it. So im trying to formulate a plan. I have always wanted cat 6 ran but Im not user what rooms and how many drops. Id like to move my electronics and server into a closet or something and then be able to have multi room music and PS3. so say Im in the front room and that needs to be used for something else, I can switch to bedroom or bonus room tv select ps3 and bang my game is there like I never left. Id also like to have a camera or 2 set up to watch house and dog. Got a husky puppy 2 weeks after moving in and want to keep an eye on her so no one steals her. which I hear is a going thing right now. LAME!! it would also be nice to control lighting and garage door from anywhere I want be it at home or at work from internet or phone.

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 2.37 MiB | Viewed 48621 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:21 am 

Assuming you can easily access each room I would recommend running cat6 in each room in your house. You can obviously do one room at a time or run the cable to all rooms at once. Upstairs I have just been doing one room at a time as I need. As far as how many runs per room, it is really up to you. I know some people like to run multiple lines to each room (so you have extra lines to fall back on, you won't need a switch in each room if you need multiple connections, etc...), but I have just been doing one run per room.

For heating/lighting/camera automation, there are the obvious installers. You can also try to piece together yourself (here is one site that will give you some ideas - http://www.smarthome.com/_/index.aspx_). More info can be found:

Creston - http://www.crestron.com/
Control4 - http://control4.com/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:44 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

for the PS3 Im looking at something like this:

http://www.dhgate.com/hdmi-matrix-4x4-e ... e67a8.html

The only thing else I would need to figure out is Component to HDMI conversion (DVD Changer).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:37 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So here is what im thinking, behind all the TV's 5 cat 6 cables and a Coax (living room, bonus room, and bedrooms). On the living room wall that connects to the bathroom ill do 12 cat 6 cables this is where I'll run all my electronics from. The dining room will have 2 data drops and so will the bonus room on the wall that connects to dining room. I was told that would be a great place for a office desk (haha She won that battle). I want to put a wireless router over the entryway to the hall to the bedrooms also. I plan all the cable to run back to the garage.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:20 pm 

It will definitely be interesting to see how this all works out. When is your expected timeline to start?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:15 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I got Quoted 4200 for the install so Im weighing my options right now. There are a few projects I wanted to do so I have to see if this is the one that gets my tax return or patio cover for summer.

Here is my layout:

Attachments:
wire locations.jpg
wire locations.jpg [ 81.17 KiB | Viewed 48523 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:23 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Here is what Im thinking about using for part of my install (DA-8):

http://www.spcontrols.com/prodcat.php?hierId=21

an something like these:

http://www.spcontrols.com/prodcat.php?hierId=20

Looks like I might not need HDMI catlincs I could use component to reach 1080P this might make thing easier for me haha

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

so my original quote came back at 3600 said his supplier quoted the wrong cables, so that Looks more promising! Called my electrician, great guy, he came out I told him where i wanted jacks and where I needed power and we talked about a few things. He is going to give me more coax line help design layout for camera system, and still thinks he can get it cheaper then 3600. So now im even more excited. I doubt it matters much to him since he is upgrading the wiring in my house currently (House was build in 1963, some of the add on wiring is iffy so needed this done.) if pricing goes well I should start this project in may, at the latest.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:51 am 

T-Bone wrote:
so my original quote came back at 3600 said his supplier quoted the wrong cables, so that Looks more promising! Called my electrician, great guy, he came out I told him where i wanted jacks and where I needed power and we talked about a few things. He is going to give me more coax line help design layout for camera system, and still thinks he can get it cheaper then 3600. So now im even more excited. I doubt it matters much to him since he is upgrading the wiring in my house currently (House was build in 1963, some of the add on wiring is iffy so needed this done.) if pricing goes well I should start this project in may, at the latest.

Thanks for the update, really interested to see how this comes out once it is all set and done. I still have some more wiring I want to do in my house, but will take some time before I get to

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

T-Bone,
First of congratulations on the new house.

I have been using my home office as an "Ice Bucket" to cool off :banana: for years. Last year, I upgraded our home with a gigabit network.

I bought 800' of CAT6 from craigslist for $50, crimping tool for $20 :beerme: If you are retrofitting, your challenge will be to fish the wires through the walls. My strategy was to piggy back on coax runs. This way I was able to drop a new Cat6 cable in the same wall cell where the coax lives. Depending on the need, I was able to simply switch wall plates and insert RJ45 jacks without cutting the wall. Only in one case, I had to open the wall and install a brand new box. I am using OnQ/Legard inserts and wall plates. You should be able to find the coax runs in your house in the attic or crawl space.

Chances are they all converge in one area to go out of a floor. To cross floors, my buddy taught me a neat trick - I simply drilled a hole from the 2nd floor in a corner (above my garage) and then pressed through the sheet rock with a skewer (cat6 was duct taped to it). After neatly tucking the Cat6 run on both sides of the floor, close the hole with "Great Stuff". If you don't want to push a whole bunch of wires through a corner, you can terminate all the run in a floor to a switch and connect two floors using a backbone.

All my network equipment neatly fit in a wall unit from OnQ. I don't use OnQ's switch, I use a gigabit switch and wireless router :P Let me know if I can offer you any more details.

Cheers,
GG

Client3: Win7 Prof 32bit
Client4: MacBook Pro
Client5: Mac Mini

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thanks for the info. Im trying to find parts for my network right now. Im not sure who makes the best patch panels. With all the runs and ability to install camera's Looks like Ill need a 48 and a 24. I have about 55 cables going in. A friend of mine said patch panel is a patch panel. I just want something good that wont be a bottle neck.

Thanks