It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:46 am 
Founder
Founder

I'm looking to get a new printer and am wanting an all-in-one for the scanning capabilities. I print infrequently so find that the inkjets dry up before I use them, and so am leaning towards a laserjet. I also prefer it be a network printer, I don't want to attach it to my home server or one of my PCs. I previously had a wireless HP that worked ok. A friend has recommended the Samsung models, but I figured I'd solicit input from the awesome community here.

:mss:

Tell me what you use and how you like it.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have a Kodak esp-9.
It is discontinued but there is a Hero line to replace it.
adf feeder
duplex printing
double sided copy or scan via the adf.
Multiple usb ports and media card ports.
Fax modem.
The nice part about it is I can connect it via usb,wifi or ethernet.
All built into the printer without adding some dongle.
I tried them all and they work. When changing the connection method you do get a few hiccups at first ,I had to reboot both the printer and pc in my case for the driver in the pc to work when I changed to a different connection method.

Also the ink cartridges are fairly cheap compared to others.
Due to the print head is not part of the cartridge.
I found this out because I had one go bad due to a paper jam. But Kodak replaced it well beyond the one year mark.
And they use pigment not ink which supposedly does not fade as quickly.
It is a little loud. especially when you boot it up till it completes its startup.

Overall the only issue I have with the ESP9 is small paper trays since I use it for business.
The hero 6.1? is a close cross model and has larger paper trays. But still has all the features I currently have.
As far as I can tell.

And some envelope sizes I use are not supported so I play games with the tray spacers.

I do on occasion need to scan a 11X17 which it does not support but i use a old scsi flat bed scanner I have.
When it dies I may need to start looking elsewhere other than Kodak.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:39 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

My wife had a similar dilemma a few years ago when her ancient Epson finally bought the farm. While she wasn't necessarily looking for a network printer or a laser, she scoured various forums, online stores and brick and mortar stores, examining reviews. It's pretty scary how many printers are out there that get downright dreadful reviews...probably because so many of them are made super cheap...it's kind of like my Vegas buffet theory: If you take all their money at the buffet, they won't have any money left to gamble.

And so printers are made really shoddy and cheap, and they instead get you with outrageously priced ink.

Sheila wanted a duplex capable printer that had good copying and scanning capabilities. She also liked the separate color tanks (cyan/magenta/yellow/black + large black); this has the advantage over "all in one" color cartridges where using all of one color in a cartridge essentially ruins the cartridge even though the other two colors in the cartridge may still be relatively full. And the printer she finally wound up getting was the Canon PIXMA 810. She's had that printer for several years now and it's still going strong, despite our 19-month-old son's efforts to destroy it. ;)

This printer is NOT a network printer, however. It's a USB-based printer although there is (was) a Bluetooth add-on module you could buy. Nevertheless, the Canon PIXMA line of printers seemed to get solid reviews from folks and may be a good choice for you--especially if there is a network-based one.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:23 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

HP LaserJet Pro CM1415f is a good one, pricy compared to some around but pretty robust and does Airplay as well... seeing as I know how much of an Apple fan you are.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:06 pm 

I use a print server for my Laser printer which is what I do all my printing on but recently I did get a Brother LC61 Series Printer which is an Ink Jet with scanning and fax capabilities and its networkable. I do not really print on ink jet printers but I do like the network scanning capabilities. Hate ink jet printer and hate paying for drums in lasers.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:52 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have a Canon 4370DN. Networked laser that duplexes. The cartridges are cheap (like $60 at Costco). The drivers are a bit of a PITA on the Mac but work fine on Windows. Just be aware of Canon's lame web design - when downloading the Windows drivers it will be the third or so link down - NOT THE FIRST ONE. Drove me crazy until I noticed they have a community page of drivers even if you start from the 4370DN support page :evil:

I've seen the printer on sale for as little as $100. Incredible deal - I got it for around $120 on sale years ago.

Just beware that a color laser will use a little color laser toner even if you print B&W only - so if you don't print that much color, but still want the capability I'd look at inkjets. Also be aware that inkjets will clog if not used regularly. I don't need that much color and I love my B&W laser. Color is a PITA 8)

My local Costco is also refilling inkjet cartridges in the store. Just stay away from Lexmark - they are complete jerks with their laser or inkjets and even got sued (and lost!) because their stuff was chipped and would only work with their kit. Dell OEMs and resells Lexmark BTW.

HP driver on Windows are resource hogs. I've had good luck with Brother in addition to Canon. Have a Samsung wedge laser for a light volume/on demand printer for a non profit I support and it's been great. It doesn't duplex but it was also $40. Probably less than the replacement cartridge will be :P

Thanks