It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:57 am 

I currently own an ASUS EeePad Transformer. The next model a.k.a Prime just went up for Pre Order, and yes I couldn't help myself. I got nothing else to say except I seriously have a problem...

http://www.asustablets.us/

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:19 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Cool, the ASUS EeePad Transformer is an excellant tablet.

Easily an iPad killer, so the Prime should bury it once and for all [-( :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 am 

CBers wrote:
Cool, the ASUS EeePad Transformer is an excellant tablet.

Yeah, very happy with my Transformer

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Very interested to see what kind of performance a quad-core tablet has to offer.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

CBers wrote:

How many so call "experts" have already said that?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:56 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

You couldn't pry my iPad 2 from my cold dead hands... And this is coming from a previous android owner/programmer. So, now that a couple weeks have gone by, how's it working out for you? Better than your iPad?

13 TB, mixed drives
400+ DVDs and 80 BD ripped using MakeMKV

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:01 am 

NJPhillips wrote:
You couldn't pry my iPad 2 from my cold dead hands... And this is coming from a previous android owner/programmer. So, now that a couple weeks have gone by, how's it working out for you? Better than your iPad?

I have the original EeePad Transformer and had pre ordered the Prime (but due to the delay I decided just to cancel the pre order last week). Previous to that I had been using an iPad. I honestly would not trade my Transformer to go back to the iPad. I prefer having nothing to do with iTunes which is the biggest piece of garbage/bloatware out there. For my needs the Transformer works perfect because of the keyboard dock.

Honestly though, my ultimate tablet and what I am hoping really comes through is a W8 tablet. We should know by this fall how this shapes up, but if it does deliver I would gladly take a full O/S tablet over iOS or Android.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:44 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Quote:
I have the original EeePad Transformer and had pre ordered the Prime (but due to the delay I decided just to cancel the pre order last week). Previous to that I had been using an iPad. I honestly would not trade my Transformer to go back to the iPad. I prefer having nothing to do with iTunes which is the biggest piece of garbage/bloatware out there. For my needs the Transformer works perfect because of the keyboard dock.

Honestly though, my ultimate tablet and what I am hoping really comes through is a W8 tablet. We should know by this fall how this shapes up, but if it does deliver I would gladly take a full O/S tablet over iOS or Android.

I just dont understand the point of paying for a tablet and a keyboard dock. When you add up the prices you might as well buy a low end laptop at walmart and have a full OS. I have an iPad and a 13" MacBook Pro and use them as needed; i use my iPad most of the time, and if i need the covenience of a full OS then i switch to my laptop.
Dont get me wrong i think the Transformer is a great equipment but the OS makes it look bad. I have seen it running Win8 and it was impresive.
As for iTunes, i dont think its that bad. I dont really use it a lot because now there is no need for it but it is the best place to buy music and videos.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:01 am 

cubanblood wrote:
Quote:

I just dont understand the point of paying for a tablet and a keyboard dock. When you add up the prices you might as well buy a low end laptop at walmart and have a full OS. I have an iPad and a 13" MacBook Pro and use them as needed; i use my iPad most of the time, and if i need the covenience of a full OS then i switch to my laptop.
Dont get me wrong i think the Transformer is a great equipment but the OS makes it look bad. I have seen it running Win8 and it was impresive.
As for iTunes, i dont think its that bad. I dont really use it a lot because now there is no need for it but it is the best place to buy music and videos.

The keyboard dock is of course optional. It really comes down to how you use it. For example, I use the tablet for blogging, surfing the web, etc... The keyboard portion makes it much easier to do this (in particular the blogging part, commenting in forums, etc...). I also use the tablet when I go to the gym to watch movies/tv shows while I do cardio, and for this I need to use just the tablet without the keyboard. So for how I use it I am not missing any particular functionality that I would get from a laptop, there would be zero benefits to having both a Laptop and Tablet (and the Tablet/keyboard combo is a much more cost effective solution versus buying a Laptop and tablet).. Plus the keyboard docks gives me an extra 8+ hours of battery life. The whole point for me is I don't need a laptop, I just need something "lighter" that can handle media playback, web browsing, blogging, etc...

Obviously if I needed a full fledged O/S then a laptop makes sense, but I already have a desktop PC for that. If I could get a Windows 8 tablet with the same form factor as the Transformer/Dock and at a similar price point, then I would definitely choose that. However, as of now such a thing does not exist :wink:

Keyboard dock aside I still much prefer the EeePad over the iPad

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:22 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Fair discussion. To each their own! I was a pretty avid Android user, and, a hater of iTunes like no other. Seriously, my wife bought me my first iPod in '05 as a gift to take to Baghdad with me, and by the time I was done F*&ing with iTunes, I think she got the idea she had made a mistake. No kidding, we spent 2 weeks re-ripping all of our CDs because of that POS software package... Flash forward several years and several smartphones later, Verizon did not jump on the Apple bandwagon, and I was stuck with either my old Blackberry, or switching to AT&T (which I did not want to do)... and in November of 2010 along came the Verizon Droid... the answer to my "no Verizon iPhone" woes had arrived at last. I happilly purchased my first Droid, and was happy... for a few months when weird things started happening. Over the next two years things just got worse and worse. As a JAVA programmer, Android was easy to pick-up, and I had fun, but just not with my actual phone. Hell, by the end I missed more calls waiting on my phone to do something than I answered. Last May my wife bought me an iPad 2, and after a shaky start with iTunes and a lot of cussing, I got things working. I never put the darm thing down, I loved it... and then along came the iPhone 4S, and with it, wireless syncing and backups, no more iTunes and a whole world of things that "just work." Yes, there were things I missed from Android, but, to have a phone and tablet that have never (not even once) needed a reboot, battery-pull (you cant anyway), hard-reset, un-installation of buggy apps, etc...I was so thrilled. The overall quality of apps is much better than I have found on Android, and yes, they usually cost money, I believe (IMO) they are worth it. I would much rather spend the same price on my iPhone as a Droid, spend an extra $100 on apps, and have everything I need working ALL the time.... I sill like Android, and am anxisouly awaiting for them to break the whole-house automation code, and then I would happily integrate them back into my current environment. I also agree with Damian that a Win tablet with a full OS, and assumed media features/tight integration with my other windows stuff would be the $hit... End result of my long rant here, is that I love all tech, and just prefer to use the stuff that works for my current situation. Right now, that is my iPad 2, iPhone 4S working to control my Apple TV2 and a host of other stuff (Popcorn hours, Rokus, HTPCs, WHS, etc...).

13 TB, mixed drives
400+ DVDs and 80 BD ripped using MakeMKV

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:40 pm 

LOL, I am still rocking a Blackberry here!! Great for email, but otherwise I hate the thing!!! I will probably be upgrading my phone in the next month or so, right now I have my eye on the DROID RAZR Max.

Funny enough, I was using the iPod before anyone even knew what the iPod was. I was never an Apple guy but for whatever reason I got the iPod when it first came out, and pretty much have an some version of the iPod ever since (I did have an MS Zune for a while which I loved, but MS dropped it :( ).

I drool thinking about a properly functioning W8 tablet. Man I really hope MS comes through on this one

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I dont know if we would get a W8 tablet but you van have W7 on the iPad. Check out onlive desktop. I use it for school work on the road and it is amazing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:14 am 

cubanblood wrote:
I dont know if we would get a W8 tablet but you van have W7 on the iPad. Check out onlive desktop. I use it for school work on the road and it is amazing.

Yeah, I have Splashtop Remote and LogMeIn which allow me to access my W7 desktop on my iPad and Android tablet. Hopefully once the W8 tablets come out there will be no need for me to use these Apps unless I need to access a file specific to my desktop

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:42 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

cubanblood wrote:
I just dont understand the point of paying for a tablet and a keyboard dock. When you add up the prices you might as well buy a low end laptop at walmart and have a full OS.

1) that low end laptop from Walmart will have the appropriate crap low end experience
2) keyboard an other stuff is permanently attached to a laptop, it's optional with my iPad (or any other tablet)

Quote:
I have an iPad and a 13" MacBook Pro and use them as needed; i use my iPad most of the time, and if i need the covenience of a full OS then i switch to my laptop.

And if I'm at home where my laptop lives, I do the same. But if I'm out and about it's far more convenient to have my iPad in a case with a keyboard that I can use when I need, and not have to worry about when I don't need it. The iPad/case/keyboard combo is still smaller than my work provided MacBook Air.

I'm just glad I can choose between a notebook, ultralight like the MacBook Air or a tablet and we aren't carrying these around still:

"Luggable" - yeah, right!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank EricE for this post
cubanblood, dbone1026
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:00 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

EricE wrote:

"Luggable" - yeah, right!

OMG!! I want one of those!! ](*,)

Anyway, i was reading on the specs and the first reviews of the new Transformer I gotta tell you the only thing better is the price.

Thanks