All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Denver Colorado
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:10 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Alex,

Or anyone with knowledge.

I'll be making a trip to Denver the weekend of December 18th, to watch the Patriots play the Broncos

Yes, Tebow is my back-up Fantasy Football QB and im not afraid to admit it!
To bad, Tom Bradys my starting QB or I would be wearing a Denver Jersey. \:D/

I have a few questions about Denver.

1. How easy is downtown to get around? Should I get a rental? or is public T & walking the way to go?
Last year, our winter trip was to Baltimore MD &, the rental was a waste. It was much eaiser to walk & take a cab plus, parking was high $$$.

2. Do you know of any good 4 or 5 star restaurants?
I prefer steak houses. Can't beat a 100 day old dry aged ribeye IMHO. :beerme:

3. Can you suggest any tourist destinations?

4. Is it worth the time & effort to go check out Boulder?

Anything else you would like to add.

Regards
Chris

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Denver Colorado
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:58 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hey Chris, cool sounds like a fun trip, I'm no Denver expert as I only lived there for a year in '96 and have been in Fort Collins since but I've visited plenty. Whether you "need" a rental depends on where you are staying, how long you'll be here and what else you want to see. If you're staying in/near LoDo and don't mind walking a bit then you may be able to get by with the Lightrail and taxi's. Note that Colorado residents are spoiled by an abundance of open space, so things tend to spread out. It can easily take an hour to drive across Denver from the western suburbs of Westminster or Conifer east to Aurora. I'd say if you plan to be in Denver for more than a day or two or you want to visit Boulder then you probably want a vehicle.

I'm not sure about 5 star restaurants, the Palace Arms in the Brown Palace Hotel seems to get good reviews. Fogo De Chao is Brazilian grill, fun and delicious if you like meat though I've not eaten at that restaurant, I have eaten at a competitor Rodizio Grill. Morton's Steakhouse and The Capital Grille also seem to get good reviews.

Some of my favorite places, though it's been a couple years since I've been down that way:
Wynkoop Brewery in Lodo
Domo japanese restaurant (though better in summer when you can sit in the garden)
Rodizio Grill is fun if you like the Brazilian style grilled meats experience
Check out the Denver Botanic Gardens if that interests you at all, even in winter there are some nice indoor exhibits.

I hope that helps!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:21 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I was working on a project for StorageTek there in 2004-2005. More specifically I was in Broomfield/Louisville, about 15 minutes from the airport. My last couple days there, my then-girlfriend flew out to visit. She searched the hotel room for the ring, but none was to be found--I had it downstairs in the hotel safe. That Saturday (February 19, 2005 for the curious), I drove Sheila out to Estes Park, a town I visited the year prior and determined was one of the most beautiful places I'd ever seen. I asked a park ranger for Rocky Mountain National Park where I could find a good isolated spot. Since it was winter, he suggested I go to the point where the NPS closes the park road for the season, called Many Parks Curve. And so at that very spot, that evening, I got down on one knee and, with God as our sole witness, asked Sheila to marry me. The rest is history...we've been married five and a half years and have two wonderful children.

After the proposal and taking some pictures, we went back into Estes Park for dinner...they have a mighty fine brewery. Estes Park is definitely worth checking out!

Matt

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msawyer91 for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:02 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks for the info.

Foga De Chao is my most favorite restaurant.

Sadly, my brother is a food geek and always wants to eat at off the beaten path type restaurants.

The brewery, Estes & japanese places sound perfect.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:30 am 
Founder
Founder

Cool story Matt. :) Estes is a great place to visit, about an hour or so drive from Denver. I'll ask my friends for recommendations on less well known foodie places.

Thanks