It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Windows 8 preview
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:31 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I just loaded in Win8 developers preview that came out yesterday or so. Not to worry, it is WINDOWS 7 with a few tweaks and an app page that can easily be skipped over to get to the regular desktop. Unfortunately, the start button does nothing more than to dump you back into the app page, so I have to set up ways to compensate for searches, help, and the pinned programs that I use regularly. No big deal. All programs think that it is Win7 so I am not getting much if any "incompatible version of windows" messages when trying to install.
So far I do not see any reason NOT to run it as nothing is broken and it has a few tweaked things to play with. It boots up FAST, enough that I feel I no longer need my SSD drive just to speed up boots.

Changes? well, the Metero page of course, the windows explorer has a ribbon interface, and IE is up to version 10. Control panel is set up differently if you click on the app instead of coming at it through the desktop. Copying files has been improved as there is a speed meter built in with a graph of how fast it is going. Other things are exactly the same so learning curve is LOW.

I will add other changes as I find them. Of course there will be HUGE press articles touting the DIFFERENCES and improvements but rest assured, MS did not stray far from the Win7 tree.

Last edited by John Pombrio on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Windows 8 preview
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:28 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

If you want to get the Windows 7 Start menu, http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-enabl ... windows-8/ you will loose Metro.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Diehard for this post
EricE
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:39 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

geez, you take all the fun out of finding this stuff myself! I am going to leave Metro around just to see if it is useful at all. Right now I am backing up all of my mail, passwords, outlook, bookmarks etc so I can fully move over to Win8. I have technet so when they release Win8 to it, I will have official passwords so I can stay using it..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:04 pm 

thanks for sharing useful info with us.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:08 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

John Pombrio wrote:
I will add other changes as I find them.

Hi John, I also installed windows 8 on a Acer Iconia W500. I like the tiles on start menu. It is really handy with a touch screen. Did you installed the connector on it? I did so and backup occurs as usual. One thing I have found is you can connect to WHS 2011 remote web access to view your files but I cannot use it to connect to other computer I used to connect. Does one been able to use that feature and if yes, how did you succeed?

Claude

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:59 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Its been a long, long time since I had a WHS running. Now I just use a Win 7 computer running all the time with two 2TB hard drives on it, one for movies and one for music, e-books, and TV shows. All my computers see every other computer so I am not sure what a "connector" is... I ghost my most important stuff on another machine once a week and once a month clone my drives. So far no losses in the past 3 years.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:15 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Diehard wrote:
If you want to get the Windows 7 Start menu, http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-enabl ... windows-8/ you will loose Metro.

Thank goodness theres a way to turn the damn thing off! Your my hero.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

EricE wrote:
Diehard wrote:

Thank goodness theres a way to turn the damn thing off! Your my hero.

That is a link that is long gone. Win8 Consumer Preview has no way to turn off Metro.

I am really blowing hot and cold about Win8 CP. The developer's Preview was much better, it was fast and had no bugs that I cared about. Win8 CP has issues with my ASUS P8P67 EVO mobo (occasionally locks up- certain programs such as CPU-Z all the time), it is slower to bot up, and I don't use Metro or anything else that was added. Until it matures, I am holding off updating any other machine and MIGHT be putting Win7 back on when I build my 3 new Ivy Bridge machines next month. There is a lot of benefits under the hood but the hassles of Win8 CP is not worth the bother.
WIN8 NOT RECOMMENDED AT THIS TIME.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:07 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Mageworld91 wrote:
thanks for sharing useful information

Whoa! This is an ancient post about a Microsoft beta product that has been obsolete for several YEARS now.

Windows 8/8.1/8.1.1 is an extremely useful and a great upgrade from Windows 7 and I highly recommend it! Use a program from Stardock called Start8 to bypass the Start Menu screen (Metro) if you do not like that particular interface. I only use Win8.1.1 in desktop mode and love it. MUCH better than Win7 in speed, stability, and security.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:01 am 

John Pombrio wrote:
Mageworld91 wrote:
thanks for sharing useful information

Whoa! This is an ancient post about a Microsoft beta product that has been obsolete for several YEARS now.

Windows 8/8.1/8.1.1 is an extremely useful and a great upgrade from Windows 7 and I highly recommend it! Use a program from Stardock called Start8 to bypass the Start Menu screen (Metro) if you do not like that particular interface. I only use Win8.1.1 in desktop mode and love it. MUCH better than Win7 in speed, stability, and security.

may be its true but my experience with w8 is was not good .it"s not user friendly. i cant find menu ,control panel and other things

Thanks