It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Router Died
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:56 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Guys I need some advice. My Linksys WRT-610n is on its last leg. I cant say im upset with that, the wireless signal has been so bad Ive gone almost exclusively to ethernet. I only use the wireless for iPhone. It continually drops signal on file transfers at the time. Casual browsing is ok file transfers EPIC FAIL. I know a lot of people state this is a great unit, Im just not one of them. I have found myself looking at replacing it with the linksys-e4200 or the apple airport extreme.

I figured id give linksys another shot. any help with my decision would be appreciated. Im looking for something that plays nice with the WHS.

on my network I have:

AT&T Microcell
PS3
AppleTV
PC & Mac
iPhone's
WHS

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Router Died
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:18 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I've been a linksys fan for a long time, sadly their firmware sucks. I see you have a number of Apple devices. I would suggest an E3000 with DD-WRT firmware on it, or the Apple airport extreme myself. If you are unwilling to flash DD-WRT then go Apple by all means. Why do you believe you need the E4200?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:35 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Oh nothing in general. It was the same price I put down for the 610n. I'm leery to go with the e3000 as it's just a repackaged 610n. Which was a horrid router for me. It worded fine til I secured my network. That apparently broke it haha. I ran unsecure for a while cause I only needed the switch at first. I didn't have Internet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:17 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

You have a 610n V2 router then? IMHO it depends there is at least one difference, the size of the nvram available for storage, you double it in the E3000. That may or may not make a difference depending on what one is doing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:34 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Unless you just really want to buy a new router I'd try what Daveed suggests. I run Tomato on my WRT54GS and it has breathed new life into it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:07 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Have I got a deal for you! :)

I have a factory refurb WRT610N Version 2. I broke the seal and hooked it up to make sure it was not DOA. Back in the Box it went since I was in a bind and purchased and use a Netgear WNDR3700. Total time on the Linksys is about 20 minutes.

Send me a PM if you want to try before you buy. I'm easy to deal with :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Steve_S wrote:
Have I got a deal for you! :)

I have a factory refurb WRT610N Version 2. I broke the seal and hooked it up to make sure it was not DOA. Back in the Box it went since I was in a bind and purchased and use a Netgear WNDR3700. Total time on the Linksys is about 20 minutes.

I run a Linksys E3000 with DD-WRT. Love it. Have a WNDR3700 now sitting on the shelf waiting for someone to write working firmware. See my post:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9404

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have a DIR-655 and it give me great speeds. I used to have a WRT160N with DD-WRTand i wanted gigabit. But all around it turned out to be a great router. Really easy to setup.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:06 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I just spent the $$ and bought the Linksys/Cisco 4200 and LOVE IT. Really do.

13 TB, mixed drives
400+ DVDs and 80 BD ripped using MakeMKV

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:34 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yeah I'm still looking at the 4200 or the airport extreme. My 610 came back to life not sure what the deal was. Still limping along.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:14 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Heh, I have lost SO many routers over the years that I buy them in pairs! They have all been surge protected and even on battery backup but fail they will. Never lost a switch tho. My advice, if it used to work fine, just buy another one (or two). You should see the pile of routers I scavenged at my sons college house. Must have been over a dozen, all different brands, all tested by me, and all broken in one way or another.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have been thinking about going maybe this route: Cisco Small Business Managed Switch SRW2008MP Switch - 8 ports - managed

it does PoE so I was thinking adding an AP this way I wouldnt have to furnish power to the AP's. (For some wierd freaky reason I dont like multipe power adapters all over) Since I have more equiptment then I have ports on most of the home routers this looks like a nice solution.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:51 pm 

My Linksys WRT610N crapped out on me last week (and left a buttload of issues on my network, but that is for another story). I ended up getting the Cisco Linksys - E4200 and so far have been very happy with. Very easy set up. I like D Link but their new line of routers aren't due out for another few months, and when it comes to routers I have just been more comfortable with Linksys. Definitely noticed a boost in internet speed as well

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:56 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hey Dbone,

Hows that linksys treating you? its been a while since this post are you still pretty happy with it? My 610 is still limping along. Im having connectivity issues with my boxee box not sure if its the router or the Box. it will lose connection but everything else will be up just fine. Then a few times while using it my whole network will crash for a while and be back up. The reason I say not sure which one is causing the issue is due to reading some posts others have had the same issue since introducing boxee to mix.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:13 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Hey Dbone,

Hows that linksys treating you? its been a while since this post are you still pretty happy with it? My 610 is still limping along. Im having connectivity issues with my boxee box not sure if its the router or the Box. it will lose connection but everything else will be up just fine. Then a few times while using it my whole network will crash for a while and be back up. The reason I say not sure which one is causing the issue is due to reading some posts others have had the same issue since introducing boxee to mix.

So far so good. No issues with dropped connections ( I stream wired and not wireless to be clear, but my mom does connected wirelessly to her PC)

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks