It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Since win 8 there are 64 and 32 versions which both have extra hidden partitions.
The built in backup does not work so well with them since you need to use the advanced method because your mss treats the hidden partition as another drive.
For free you can use easeus todo backup.
It allows you to create a emergency boot dvd to use your backups and all you need to do is create a folder to place them in.
Now it is not a readable backup so you could just have the mss to still create backups so you can download just data files and use easus to recover from. But you can also in addition to a drive backup you can elect to backup folders you select that are readable.
Try it at:
https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/?ad&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v7mBRC1ARIsAAiw349NeB72twYKDWHNxShlD7S9HbgIeG3SvgYj7-m7OUSbGWL8s5J77O0aAp9ZEALw_wcB

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:42 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Ruben,

Couple of questions on your above post.

Ruben Rocha wrote:
The built in backup does not work so well with them since you need to use the advanced method because your mss treats the hidden partition as another drive.

What is the advance backup method you are referring to?
Ruben Rocha wrote:
Easeus todo backup allows you to create a emergency boot dvd to use your backups and all you need to do is create a folder to place them in.

Your saying to use Easus to backup the terminal with a newer OS (due to the hidden partition) and if you need to restore that same terminal, use the Easus emergency boot DVD to pull the backups from the MSS with?
Ruben Rocha wrote:
Now it is not a readable backup so you could just have the mss to still create backups so you can download just data files and use easus to recover from. But you can also in addition to a drive backup you can elect to backup folders you select that are readable.

I understand the part about the MSS terminal backups having unreadable backup images stored in the image file(s) (with the exception that you can cherry pick files from the backups if you have terminal access to the backup image), but could you restate your thought? I'm a bit confused with what you are suggesting.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Using the mss cd when you recover a pc.
After booting there is a option to use a advanced/custom restore.
For windows 10 you need to select it.
Then you would select the different partitions as hidden instead of drive C; d:,e: f: etc which is the default.
Depending on your flavor of win 10 you will have a boot partition(hidden), a recovery partition(Hidden), a os public partition and if you have done the free upgrade a old windows partition(hidden).
The mss saves them all as public partitions.
So for me I use easeus to restore the drive and it will create a pxe boot disk for recovery.
I use the mss to view specific corrupted files to restore since I can view them.
The best part is easeus todo is free.
In fact you can turn off or leave on backups on the mss and save the easeus backups to the mss.

Also since most modern win 10 pcs have efi when using the mss restore you probably will not have the proper nic card driver to use where the easeus boot pxe disc will.

For a test just run the pc restore and when it prompts you for a lan driver see if you have one.
I bet you don't so it is useless. you don't have to run the full restore for a test just cancel out.

Now if you have a old nic card for say xp then the mss cd will run if you swap it out before you run it.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
lioninstreet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:23 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Sounds like I should do a test backup and restore with Easus todo on my w10 terminal and see what happens.

Is there any pre-prep that is needed on the destination drive I am backing up to? IE, does the replacement drive need to be initialized or ??

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:36 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

No it can be any folder that has enough space anywhere.
You may need to add login credentials.
But remember.
You can't view the files in the backup like you can on the mediasmart backups.
And you do need a recovery boot disk either cd or usb pre formatted with easeus.
There is a option to create a emergency boot disk.

I will tell you the boot from them is extremely slow.
To the point you are ready to give up just before it displays anything.
Probably something to do with win10 and uefi bios.
But it does work.
I had a corrupted boot partition that I fixed plus the c: drive on another occasion later on.
Before I replaced a obvious bad drive.

In essence for backups you have turned the mss into a glorified nas as far as backups are concerned.
But still have the ability to view actual files to restore from the mss backups if you have them enabled also.
But for a full drive restore it would be a easus restore.
MSS backups still works for older pcs prior to win10 I believe.
But win 10 is a lot more complicated.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks