It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:22 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well got all the cables in. Me my dad an a electrician all working to get this done. Went over budget for sure having to move power an small things here an there. It never fails once you get to a point where you can no longer turn back, you wonder why your doing this project in first place. I'll post the few pics I got of the in process later today.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:23 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

T-Bone wrote:
It never fails once you get to a point where you can no longer turn back, you wonder why your doing this project in first place. I'll post the few pics I got of the in process later today.
So true. Once you're enjoying the fruit of your effort all the bad memories fade. I liken it to stories I've heard from female friends who after giving birth swear they'll never do it again but somehow, at some point, the longing for another child begins to build and eventually they have another baby and go through all the physical pain again. But, it's worth it once that little baby is in their arms. This'll be worth it once that little remote is in one hand and a beer in the other. :mrgreen: :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:12 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sorry about the delay in posting, Its been crazy here. We ran the cables and then immediately jumped into painting. My install didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. when your doing this your first time without exeriance you bound to run into speed bumps. I purchased some wall plates that I wanted to use figured they would mount right into recessed boxes, yeah no. I assumed there was a standard for these things, there isn't. I did get my router mounted and set up. Pretty happy with how it turned out. I will be trying to make a version 3 of the mount to be a tad more user friendly. My dad fortunately is good with this kinda stuff so he was a giant help. Ill post more pics later.

Attachments:
File comment: when I bought the house everything was tan walls ceilings everything but molding. It was awesome then it wasn't. My new color and my router mount.
IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 52340 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:34 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Heres the promised pics

Attachments:
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 52159 times ]
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 52159 times ]
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 52159 times ]
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 52159 times ]
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG [ 1.59 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Here is second Batch

Attachments:
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 52158 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:44 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So its been a little while since i ran the Cables in the wall. i just finally got my POE Switch the Netgear GS752TPS. I also finally found this case ive been wanting for my server build. Any suggestions on what i should put in it? ive been told to look at server grade MB and at min ECC memory and maybe a xeon processor. here is my list of requirements as they stand how. I honestly just want something I can throw just about anything at and not have it choke out:

1 file storage (Docs/Pics/Software/Video)

2 Video server (Plex/Serviio/Airvideo HD remote access)(1080p & 4k as that seems to be the next push)

3 Not a big gamer but I like the concept of AR/VR and I want to be able to do that revolution.

4 Run iTunes more fluidly

5 Remote access (run personal website from my server)

6 https://www.theofficemaven.com/ (install and run office like this)

7 Run drivepool and scanner (current set up doesn't like tons of disc activity so crashes on most scanners)

8 Run home automation (this is iffy but an idea ive been toying with)

9 Home surveillance

10 Encoding music and Videos as archival backup

I cant think of anything else id want to do at this point. but with more power comes more ideas for things to do. I just want to avoid building something awesome and then cant run some new great thing.

Attachments:
File comment: New Server Case OrigenAE S21T Will eventually replace the EX-495 with a Q9550s
IMG_0795.jpg
IMG_0795.jpg [ 873.98 KiB | Viewed 50380 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Great work on the home, Wow! I just went all cat6 no boxes, but you took it to the "Stay in that home for awhile" upgrades. :-) Very Cool.

I do like the looks of that case. Touch screen in front? That would be cool!
I would think what OS you would be running on it would make some of the decisions for you?
But server grade Hardware, it probably won't matter what OS you run. 16 to 32 gig memory will fix anything right lololool

Better yet, are any of the server MB running M.2 gumstick drives for the OS yet, that would be cool/fast.

Let us know what you land on, looks like your off to a great start.
I'm looking at building a newer HTPC, might steal some of your ideas :-) That case would look great next to the 60 inch Plasma. :cheers:

Good Luck and Enjoy!

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yeah this is my first computer build. I suck at it already haha. I cant decide what MB I want to get or what is good or what I need. Now I have to rush a little because I need to get this server up and running. I was hit the other day with ransomware and it took all my data. as my only server it was all my data. and with duplication on I thought I was safe. I don't do anything on my OS side so I figured I was a small fish. my new idea is to restore MSS back to WHS v1 and use that for music and pictures and document for off line storage no external access. then this will be the big boy for everything else.

I need some information about hardware firewalls. does anyone use one? also would it have stopped this? and what are the pros and cons of it

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:24 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ho man, I am soooo sorry.
That is the only reason I use the backups on the clients in the house (in case of ransomware) So sorry to hear.
I also keep 3 Backups, but I only have a couple of Terabytes.

I run a Netgear firewall and no, it would not have kept out ransomware. It would take a pretty good $$$$ firewall and a lot of knowledge on how to configure it to stop something like that.

I also run (paid for) malwarebytes on all the clients, it is supposed to stop ransomeware. But like I said, I still keep a couple of days of backups on the clients (just in case) My girls will click on anything.

Maybe you can find some ideas in the DIY thread, but it's getting a little old and as may know, motherboards don't stay around for long.

This is what I built some years ago, it has win2012E on it, but I don't like it so it just sets in the rack and I fire it up a few times a year to get updates.

Good luck on your future build, you might Ping Comp1962, he has helped me a lot and he is a good PC/Server builder, would maybe have some ideas for ya.

Again, so sorry and hope you find what you need and have better luck...

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:45 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It was a brute force attack on RDP. I would suggest everyone using RDP check you logs for failed attempts an lock it down. It would be cool if we as a community could have a thread about RDP attack an security for it. Makes sense since RDP is a big deal for headless servers.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:30 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So still haven’t built my replacement server. I’m wondering if I should go all in an get actual Xeon chip an server mother board with ex memory. Is there a reason I would or wouldn’t?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

T-Bone wrote:
So still haven’t built my replacement server. I’m wondering if I should go all in an get actual Xeon chip an server mother board with ex memory. Is there a reason I would or wouldn’t?

I think you are looking at this backwards.
You first need to determine what you will use it for. At least what is mandatory.
Then the software you will need for that.
Then what os supports the above.
Then start with hardware.
Due to you may find limitations on Linux versus windows and will determine what hardware supports the os the best.

You may find a single server may not meet all your needs.
You may opt for a small server and a NAS
For example most readynas models have dual lan ports for pairing and can be expanded for drive space. And has lots of apps that can be installed as features such as plex , network video recorder, couch potato , etc
Then if it does not meet all your needs add a server to fill the rest of your requirements or vice versa.
I have a old readynas 316 bought off ebay but they have newer and larger ones with updates on speed and ram.
And my old towerraid works with it for expansion in the esata port but the towerraid is only sata 2

Also for wifi.
I have been using the engenius AC1750 ceiling mount wifi access point.It does accept POE so no 110 outlet required and it has great range. I installed in in the laundry room because it has led's I did not want it flashing in the normally occupied area of the house. And I get great range on both the 2GHZ and 5Ghz band about 400 ft.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Also far as a media player goes.
The best I have used is a rasberry PI with osmc using kodi.
It blows away popcorn and dune players which I have tried for performance and price.
and is a fraction of the cost of a htpc with out drives. In fact that really is what a rasberry PI is. It is the size of a pack of cigarettes.
It has wifi but for HD video it needs a hard wired cat cable.
I think the white and red rasberry case also is the best case for them.
I have tried the metal and clear case but the official red/white one is the best and easiest to open and assemble.
Just get the heat sinks and a very fast sd card. no need to go over 16GB in size. Even with a very large media library.
It has usb ports that you can use a mouse or keyboard or remote with flirc.
But newer TV's have hec(Home Entertainment Control) which most operations can be done with the regular tv remote. As long as you use the hdmi port to the tv.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:06 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So haven’t built my new server yet. Still on the list of things I need to do. What I am doing is building out my home network a little more. I got a Unifi Dream Machine Pro to move me up to intermediate status from beginner. It’s a lot more intimidating then I thought. What I’ll learn will be awesome along the way. This will also hopefully keep me from getting another ransomware attack on my home server. So here is my starting point.

Ok I dove into it a little. I won’t be able to switch my network over completely til I figure things out.
VLan IOT

I have:

august lock
2 AppleTVs
2 Homepods
Lutron caseta lighting
Lennox smart thermostat
Unifi Protect camera (TBD)
Plex
2 denon receivers.
PlayStation 4 an 5

While some of these are IOT devices, EXCEPT plex which I prefer on my main VLan, how do I put these on a separate VLan but still allow interoperability between each other an my iPhone. I use the automation apps on my phone a lot. Not being able to use them would keep my from isolating my devices.

any help is greatly appreciated. When you don’t know you ask someone smarter then you so...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:14 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

T-Bone, Looks like a fun project.

BTW, thanks for all the posts over the years & good luck on this.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next