It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:17 pm 

my ex475 stopped working (it seems to be the OS drive) seeing as hp no longer supports the hardware and there is no better opportunity to do this then now with the system shot.I am new here and wondering which board would i need and how difficult would this be to do (putting freenas)?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:09 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I don't know how difficult it would be to install Freenas but I would recommend getting the VGA-PS2 cable for such a project. I have had complaints in the past from certain Linux bootloaders that failed to recognize USB keyboards. While the VGA-PS2 cable is a bit more expensive, it's a good insurance policy to people tinkering with different (non-Microsoft) operating systems.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:27 pm 

Just wanted to give a thumbs-up for this adapter. I got the full Monty, including the COM port so I could attach my somewhat-ancient UPS. Everything works great! The only thing that threw me off was the recovery mode I'd triggered somehow, I think by booting without any drives in it, but I disabled the flash drive the recovery runs off of and then I was off and running.

As an aside, I was also pretty happy with Charles for being very prompt, professional, and cheerful, which are often not features included with DIY kits. ;)

Cheers!

---

PS: I managed, with much finagling and exhausting of patience, to mount it vertically in the back, to the left of the fans. Tight fit, but it turned out almost like it was made that way. The pegs that hold the plastic shield in place were perfect for mounting it to the inside of the case. If I weren't such a klutz with a dremel, it would have looked better. :) Here's how it looks:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank AikenDrum for this post
580guy, cakalapati, sasman48, yakuza
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:49 am 

Hello There,

So glad to see you are still making these. I am sorry I never got to do a full review on this, but I wanted to show off after all this time how well it works on an Acer h342 upgrading to whs2011. Thanks so much for making these. I hope you continue to be successful.

Kind regards,
Saxamo

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:23 pm 

Received the cable. My intentions were to use my HPex495 for a 2012 test machine. The whs that came installed was no longer functioning. I restored it one time, then it only lasted a month, then issues again. I have not used it in 6 months. With the cable and monitor I could see it booting and appeared to be my 4th 2tb drive causing the issue. I turned off, pulled the drive, then it booted :) My other 2 drives also had slight issues. I am going to save off what data I can, format the drives again. I will see if I can get some more use out of this 495. I mainly liked it for backups, but stored off TIVO recordings and general NAS functions.

Product worked great and gave me the server back to use :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:34 pm 

Just wanted to let those who may be interested in purchasing the video cable about my experience. Service and shipping was quick and the item is really well made. I purchased the VGA port only and declined the PS2 ports and it worked flawlessly on my Acer Easystore H430 system, jumper included.

Only issues I had when transffering my WHS v1 system into Windows 8 Pro server was I had to disable the internal flash drive for Windows 8 to load. Without the VGA cable my installation would have stalled. I used the install Windows 8 via usb flash as my installer and the ability to go in check bios and connect the keyboard and mouse let me rebuild a 3TB system in less than 2 days. Had backed up all my data on 4 computers and three external drives.

I wanted to thank cakalapati and let you know I appreciate your service. Now my next step is to figure out a way to mount the adapter in the Acer and have it available full time.

My server is the only Windows 8 system I am running right now. I did not test it before hand. I just liked the Storage Space feature so I decided to jump right in. I am having a blast trying to learn it and the cable helped bring my server up to today. Thanks again - co2112

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:06 pm 

Got my debug board a few days ago and am loading up WHS 2011 on my HP MSS EX470 now. Great service, quick handling and shipping. Thanks for making this available.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:06 pm 

Hello Charles,

I'm trying to email you at mss_cable_service@vovtech.com. Got a rejected email back... then tried msscableservice@vovtech.com and that was rejected. So to say the least, I'm not getting your email right.

I am interested to purchase one of your debug boards for my ex495. Specifically the gen3 VGA/PS2keyboard&mouse/serial.

If you have stock can you email me back at ve7qj@telus.net.

Thanks,

Earl

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:18 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

@ve7qj (Earl) - I have not seen any hiccups in my emails lately and my inbox is setup to accept anything. My tests confirm the email address is working just fine but you never know if some strange temporary glitch happened. Can you double check the spelling and try again? If you are having trouble with email, or if email is ever down, you can also send requests via a personal message. Members of the mediasmartserver.net forums can send other members personal messages. Some have opted to do that and it worked out well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:43 am 

Hi, I registered to come in and ask.

Does anyone know if these are still for sale?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 am 
Founder
Founder

The very first post says they are still available.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:06 pm 

Charles,

I'm trying to email you at mss_cable_service@vovtech.com and it was rejected and came back saying undeliverable like the gent above?

I would like to make an order - VGA + PS2 Keyboard + PS2 Mouse Assembly

KJ

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:21 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks kayjay for bringing this to my attention. I'll work with my email provider to see if there were any hiccups.

If anyone ever has a problem emailing me, as an alternative to email, you can also send me an personal message with your cable request. I've taken good care of kayjay and I'll take good care of anyone else too.

UPDATE: If anyone ever gets an email that bounces back, please do not delete or throw that email away. Instead, send me your request via Personal Message but also send me the exact bounce-back message you got. That bounce-back message contains valuable information to help diagnose any issues with my email provider.

I have confirmed that email is working as expected, but there are rules your email provider has to follow in order for me to receive your email request. These rules are standard no-spam-no-virus rules.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:19 pm 

Charles thank you for the beautifully built
debug board. It works excellent just like you
Described. Now I can see everything and now I just
Have to install the new software. I can't wait just need time
With the new board I now I will not have a problem at all
Thank you Thank you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:26 pm 

Wanted to share my experience with the Mediasmartserver VGA/PS2 debug Board:

Prior to purchase I had wasted 3 weeks attempting to do a recovery on my WHS V1 system and then installing WHS 2011 (using the USB Key method from these pages) -- not successful at either. Rather than scrapping my EX495, I decided to purchase the vovtech.com debug cable and board (VGA/PS2) and give it a try.

To cut to the bottom line, it worked beautifully and I was able to install WHS 2011 without a hitch. It really helps to see what you are doing -- to state the obvious. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Want to share a few thoughts about the install:
- Hardest part is getting the top off the machine --- no good hint here. I finally just pried it off while putting pressure on the plastic interlock under the top -- good luck is all I can say.
- No problem identifying the motherboard plug for the cable, or the jumper to enable keyboard/mouse
- While I was there I replaced the CMOS battery --- nothing to do with the cable and purely optional
- If you attached the cable to the board to see how they fit together, separate them --- it is easier to route the cable without the board attached.
- Cable routing: I recommend that you route the cable in the rear right corner (facing the rear from the front), and then up to the top (which was removed during the install). This will allow you to reinstall the disk backplane without the cable impeding your efforts. You can then attach the board and operate the machine with the top off (recommend setting the board on the top. When you are done with the system install, etc., and ready to be operational, you can disconnect the board (store it separatly from the EX495), curl the cable under the top and replace the top.
- Alternate Cable Routing: Once you have installed the disk backplane as in the above, you can route the cable through the holes in the backplane into the top disk bay --- being careful to not engage the fans. The cable is long enough to allow you to pull it to the front of the bay and plug it into the board. If you are willing to sacrifice a disk bay, then the board and cable can remain in the top bay.

This description is for an EX495 --- sure that most of the issues / suggestions apply to other Mediasmart servers and the Acer.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next