It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:08 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

@lgierke: I took a second look at the pictures you posted and it looks like your motherboard is the Acer easystore H341/H342. The reference I used to determine this is on page 39 of the linked service manual. Page 10 of that same service manual (see attached picture) shows the location of the 26-pin connector as well as the jumper that needs to be shorted to enable BIOS access.

Attachments:
H341 Page 10 .png
H341 Page 10 .png [ 574.84 KiB | Viewed 16552 times ]
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:00 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm happy with WHS 2011 on my EX495. The USB install didn't work, so I found another way to install WHS 2011 headless. I took out the OS hard drive, installed WHS 2011 via another desktop computer, and put it back into the EX495. (turn off install machine right after the very first reboot mid-install) Once I could ping the EX495 on the network, I finished the rest of the install via http://192.168.1.101/connect (or what ever IP your server is on, check your router of course) I'm up and running! I'm very happy but would like to upgrade the CPU and Memory

Even though I'm up and running, I'd still like this VGA connection so I can check out the bios settings.
(and for piece of mind for future troubleshooting)

I sent an email already to order the VGA cable tonight so I'm commenting on here for CPU/Memory advice.

I see the Mushkin 4GB module is the one recommended for maximum compatibility
http://bit.ly/lVfxKI

If I update the CPU, and tweak the bios, can we use a module that supports greater than 800Mhz?

About the CPU, what is the maximum CPU upgrade the EX495 can handle without raising the heat too much? By too much, I mean heat that would cause the fans to spin faster. (creating unwanted noise) Again being stable is

Also, did anyone figure out if VT can be enabled or not so we can possibly play with Virtual Machine OS installs?

FYI: The EX4XX MediaSmart LED Drive Lights and Health Lights can now be activated in WHS 2011 thanks to thie following thread:
http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... -whs-2011/

So again in summary:

-Thanks for the VGA cable service!
-What are the options for 4GB memory modules once we have full access to Bios settings?
-What are my CPU upgrade options? (I see a ton of conflicting suggestions/experiences)

P.S. is it possible to add a second eSATA port? If not I found a USB to eSATA adapter. (it even supports port multiplier after you do the adu2esa bios update) http://www.addonics.com/products/io/adu3esa.asp
I'll only get USB 2.0 speeds on the EX495 but oh well, good enough for a "backup" storage array that is only occasionally accessed

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:06 am 
Founder
Founder

This topic is about the Debug board for sale, I suggest you start a new forum topic with all this or post in the already existing CPU/memory upgrade forum topics in the EX49x forum.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:46 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ok sorry for the partial thread hijack. I went all out and bought the Q9550S CPU and Mushkin 4GB RAM upgrades. (on the way soon)

Ok so back to this VGA/PS2 add on. Will we be able to mount the ports for a neat/built in look? I'm trying to find photos of how people have installed this. (do they just have a cable sticking through and dangling out?) I've yet to open my case up so I'm looking to gather info for the plan once I open it up. I'd like to do the CPU/Memory/VGA-PS2 upgrade all at once.

The reason I ask is, I saw the following photos of a MediaSmart that have the VGA port built into the rear back bottom of one corner, and the PS2 ports on the rear bottom of the other back corner. Check this out!

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index. ... entry25088

Is it possible to have a "neat" built look like above? You'll notice he built his own but that sounds like a lot of work.

I'm ready to order, but I want to know what all the install options are using this pre-built one.

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:10 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Look in the original thread the gen2 thread and this gen3 thread and you will see pics of what others have done. Getting a neat built in look is a lot of work because you have to modify the case. Just running the cable out is easier and you can double stick tape it to the outside of the case if desired. Placing the connection end in the top drive bay would not require any modifications to the case.

I have seen pics of where somebody put something like the popcorn hour inside the Mediasmart server above the rear USB ports. This board might fit there but you still have to modify the case. Before you buy the cable might be a good time to open up the case and look around to see where the spaces are for running the cable around inside or out of the case as well as Whether it might be possible to mount the board inside (if that is possible. I have not tried but remembering the popcorn hour pic makes me think it is possible). I am thinking of seeing if I can do this for my EX495. I ran my gen 1 cable out the back of my EX470. There are lots of cables back there for the messy cable look if you go looking around the back side so I don't care that much if there is another that doesn't happen to disconnect from the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:00 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Photon wrote:
Look in the original thread the gen2 thread and this gen3 thread and you will see pics of what others have done. Getting a neat built in look is a lot of work because you have to modify the case. Just running the cable out is easier and you can double stick tape it to the outside of the case if desired. Placing the connection end in the top drive bay would not require any modifications to the case.

I have seen pics of where somebody put something like the popcorn hour inside the Mediasmart server above the rear USB ports. This board might fit there but you still have to modify the case. Before you buy the cable might be a good time to open up the case and look around to see where the spaces are for running the cable around inside or out of the case as well as Whether it might be possible to mount the board inside (if that is possible. I have not tried but remembering the popcorn hour pic makes me think it is possible). I am thinking of seeing if I can do this for my EX495. I ran my gen 1 cable out the back of my EX470. There are lots of cables back there for the messy cable look if you go looking around the back side so I don't care that much if there is another that doesn't happen to disconnect from the server.

Thanks, I had a look at the GEN2 pix, most are of people sacrificing the top drive bay. (which is not a good option for 9 hard drive users like me using drive pool)

I'm sure I can think of a creative way to fit something. The last question I have then is can I extend the VGA via mini Pig-Tail so I can keep the bulk board elsewhere, and mount the VGA port in the corner neatly? I would want to find mini PS2 pig tails as well so I can neatly fit the connectors into the other corner. I'm pretty sure the VGA extension would be no problem as I've seen older HTPC cases have mini pig tails to reach the built in screen on the case. I'm not sure if extending PS2 will ruin chases of it working. If I can buy this board and then simply add short big tails to mount ports where I wish then that works for me! (assuming I can find a good spot to mount the whole thing together with no added pig tails)

I'm still waiting for my new CPU/Memory to arrive, so I need to choose if I want the pre-built or explore the self build. (which would probably be a pain, even though I have some soldering skills left over from my Air Force days on the U2) I'm all about outsourcing :)

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:56 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I don't see any reason you can't do that if you find a place inside with enough space to fit the board with connections plugged into it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Photon wrote:
I have seen pics of where somebody put something like the popcorn hour inside the Mediasmart server above the rear USB ports.

After reading your post I really got curious. I have a couple of Popcorn hours (which are great) and had to see how he did it. I found the post. It appears it's an older version since I don't see a HDMI output but the guy did a terrific job. It looks like he has a VGA or DVI connection below the USB ports. He sure stuffed this thing, although he did loose one drive bay.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2355

I opened my case to put the cable in for the VGA/PS2 and I know there isn't much room in there. I just wanted the cable in mine so I could share the VGA/PS2 connector between my HP and my Acer. Just bought an extra cable to put in each permenantly. The Acer is super easy to install, just remove the case cover. The HP has to be tore pretty good to get at the connection.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I just installed my Gen3 cable inside my EX495. Mine is the VGA, keyboard and mouse version. I elected to cut off the serial port section of the board since my cable doesn't have a serial port. That allowed me to locate the board in a way that didn't require losing that top attachment point for the back cover. (I'm leaving the back cover off anyway. It's just cosmetic and nobody sees back there.) I also trimmed away about 1/8 inch of the back of the board up to the cable connector while retaining the back mounting hole in the board. This made it much easier to put in and take out the server. Due to the depth of the board it's a tight fit.

The board does not need to be as deep as it is. Maybe gen 4 cables will be manufactured on a less deep board to make internal mounting easy without modification of the board.

Attachments:
File comment: Finished
Rear view.jpg
Rear view.jpg [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 16453 times ]
File comment: Fully installed top cover off.
Fully assembled.jpg
Fully assembled.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 16453 times ]
File comment: With top fan removed
With top fan out.jpg
With top fan out.jpg [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 16453 times ]

Last edited by Photon on Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Photon for this post
Diehard
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:42 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Looks good! I'll try something similar. (I'll take pix/video as well)

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:46 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Photon, did you upgrade the fans? I see rubber anti vibration mounts. Is so what brand?

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

No I didn't change the fans or the mounts. My EX470 came with the fans on rubber mounts also.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 am 

Awesome stuff, I will be sending my order shortly. :cheers:

Cheers,
CZ

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:11 pm 

Hello, could anybody confirm me the correct email to send the order to.
My email to "mss_cable_server@vovtech.com" keeps returning.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:22 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

FiGi wrote:
Hello, could anybody confirm me the correct email to send the order to.
My email to "mss_cable_server@vovtech.com" keeps returning.

Thanks

You have a typo: mss_cable_service

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Photon for this post
FiGi
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next