It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:43 pm 

Charles,

I have an Acer Easystore H340. It still powers up, but none of the hard drive lights are coming on. I was hoping your product may help me troubleshoot the problem....will it work on the Acer Easystore? If so, how much does one run?

Thanks!

ByGraceAlone

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:00 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The first post on this forum (linked here) has a hardware compatibility list. The Acer easyStore is on that list, so you should be set to go. The price and the directions on how to order are there too but if you are having problems, feel free to send me a Personal Message (PM).

Welcome to MediaSmartServer.net!

Charles

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:52 pm 

just want to add my 2 cents...

got this cable quickly and really happy with it. Thank You!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:41 pm 

Got this quickly installed it and it worked great! Very easy to do I have the unit that has both the keyboard and PS2. I thought I had a bad ethernet adapter and it turned out that the adapter somehow became disabled. I was able to use the debug board to enable the adapter. I definetly recommend this product.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank riegelj for this post
Comp1962
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:59 pm 

Hey riegelj,

Your not the first one to encounter this and I am happy you were able to find your issue and resolve the issue. I know I often recommend to others to buy one of these debug boards because it makes troubleshooting a headless server much easier. Some think they actually save money working on issues blind but spend countless hours and if they only put a price on their time I think the cost of a debug board is the less costly approach.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:12 pm 

Does anyone know if the Gen 3 VGA/Keyboard/PS2 adapter will work with an HP LX195 server? It appears the Gen 3 V/K/PS2 adapter is compatible with an LX195. I don't want to do any tweaking to the LX195. However, I need someone to guarantee me before I buy one.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:36 pm 
Founder
Founder

The first post states customer tested hardware compatibility with the LX195.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59 am 

I first got into the homeserver game back in the fall of 2009, purchased a new Acer Easystore H340 from Microcenter. While things went mostly smooth with the initial launch of WHS, I quickly realized that you could be in real trouble with a headless server relying on only remote desktop. I tried building my own VGA cable based on the work of some of the hardware sleuth's work on this site. While it did work, it was crude and there were reliability issues. Also on this site, I discovered that someone was making a quality cable at a very reasonable price, so in Feb. of 2010 I ordered and promptly received my first VOV Technology VGA adapter. With the H340 using the USB keyboard and mouse works quite well, so I didn't have a need for the PS2 connectors.
I really don't know how I would experiment with and maintain my headless boxes without the ability to view via VGA, these cables are a true lifesaver. I have purchased my servers (since the first one purchased retail) on Ebay, mostly from people who have given up due to the frustration of working headlessly. One sold me a box as "not working - not repairable", the only thing wrong was the network card was disabled in the BIOS, simple fix with a monitor and keyboard, impossible without.
Recently I got tired of having to crack the case on my servers to add the VGA cable, so I ordered a couple more of just the 26pin cable so I can leave it installed and just move the external board that adapts it to the VGA connector. While $30 a cable may seem a bit pricey, if you consider the workmanship and quality vs. do-it-yourself, not to mention time spent, they are worth their weight in gold. I ordered last Thursday and they came yesterday! Extremely fast service, thank you Charles!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank tvoldtimer for this post
TxDot, yakuza
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:28 pm 

If you happened to have read my previous post regarding my purchase of the VOV Technology VGA "extra" cable, you will recall my wish was to leave the cable installed on the interior 26 pin connector and just let the cable hang out and plug the board with the VGA connector as needed. My Easystore box has an unpopulated expansion slot; I removed that blank cover and that is my cable access "hole". But after looking at it, I was not pleased with the appearance at all. So I began to look for a fix. After a thorough search of the junk box, everyone has a computer parts junk box, right? I found some low profile serial break-outs, all I wanted was the plate (see first pic).
Then I found these VGA connectors with ribbon cables, all I wanted was the VGA connector (see second pic).
Next, I took a perfectly good VOV 26pin to 26pin cable and cut it in half. That part really hurts, to wreck a perfectly good cable (see third pic).
Then after verifying pin-outs and wire colors, I soldered the wires from the 26pin connector to the VGA connector, mounted it on the low-profile cover plate and installed it into the expansion slot on the server. I routed the cable to the motherboard 26pin male, pressed it in place, took a couple of pictures, closed the case and done! (see the remaining pictures.)

Attachments:
File comment: Motherboard Serial break-out, low profile
DSCN5061.JPG
DSCN5061.JPG [ 1.99 MiB | Viewed 13680 times ]
File comment: VGA connector with ribbon cable
DSCN5060.JPG
DSCN5060.JPG [ 2.14 MiB | Viewed 13680 times ]
File comment: 26pin connector cable cut in half (ouch)
DSCN5066.JPG
DSCN5066.JPG [ 2.07 MiB | Viewed 13680 times ]
File comment: Rear view of mounted VGA cable
DSCN5051.JPG
DSCN5051.JPG [ 2.03 MiB | Viewed 13680 times ]
File comment: Cross-view from connector of cable route
DSCN5058.JPG
DSCN5058.JPG [ 2.12 MiB | Viewed 13680 times ]
File comment: Outside view, finished product
DSCN5049.JPG
DSCN5049.JPG [ 2.04 MiB | Viewed 13680 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank tvoldtimer for this post
cakalapati, yakuza
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:46 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Awesome job, very nice mod.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank helrazr for this post
tvoldtimer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:15 pm 

Just wanted to leave some quick feedback.
Received my VGA only connector on Wednesday, installed it that night and upgraded my EX495 to WHS 2011.
Glad I had the monitor hooked up, as my answer file for the unattended install had an error and it failed right off the bat, without the monitor hook up I would have been wondering what happened.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 pm 

Charles,
Is your service still open? I am attempting to send an order in your direction however my email service tells me that your domain, vovtech.com, does not resolve.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 am 

Charles' service is still open and my email domain resolution issue cleared up an hour after I posted my request.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:44 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Sorry for the service disruption. There have been some unfortunate events with my DNS service provider that affected my service. Rest assured that as of this moment, everything is back up and running well. I guess I won't have a squeaky-clean image after all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:39 pm 

Good shipping & packaging, perfect cable, easy install. Excellent deal.
(and my server problems resolved the same day)(Acer Aspire EasyStore H340)
Thank you Charles for making this easy fit available to the community!

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next