It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:16 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi

Now I have done the first tests with the debug board and after a few tries I managed to get into the BIOS to see the settings.
And regarding trying to place the board somewhere inside the box except in the drive bays, It's not worth the job to try to fit it in so I will keep the cable attached and hidden under the top cover so I can connect the connector box when I need it, hopefully not that often.

Since I have a Core 2 Duo E8500 in my unit I did see that the BIOS setting for Intel SpeedStep® Technology was disabled by default so I enabled it since the E8500 has it but the original Celeron 450 doesn’t have it. The FSB speed runs at 1333 so it adjusts automatically.

Any thoughts from you regarding enabling the SpeedStep Technology?
The system is up and running after I applied so I guess that it must be OK.
But I can see the settings "Under Control Panel – open Power Options" as decribed on the page for SpeedStep (link above)

The upgrade of the CPU and more memory was well spent money, it responds much better and performs as expected. The CPU temps in Idle is just above 40°C (Edit> Shown in the WHS Console->Settings->MSS-> HW tab-> CPU Temp. But it's show 5-10°C less then Core Temp or CPUID Hardware Monitor run via RDP) and it peaks up to 80°C when the load is 100% (with IntelBurnTest) so I will try to fit two 25mm fans in from of the CPU heat sink blowing from the front through the unit. Edit> DONE!

Last edited by HeRmAN on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:24 am 

Order the board, quick service and follow up notifications. Also all the links for how to disassemble the Mediaserver were included.

Works great.

My EX470 had disapeared from the network.

I found after installing the board it was asking for a paswork on boot up and the IP address was out of my network range for some reason.

I fixed the net address to a static and all is fine.

I need to do some searching for how to set the EX470 so it isn't asking for a log in password on start up so it will come up after a reset without a keyboard/monitor.

I have the adapter in the top drive bay but i think I will route it out the back or top and mount the board to the outside of the box. It might look a bit Frankenstien but will be a much more secure way of hooking up the cables.

Great job Alex, you saved me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:37 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Is the supplied jumper necessary for a Data Vault X510. I'm trying to install WHS 2011. But it won't boot from my usb dvd drive. Wanted to go into the bios to look at the boot order, but nothing happens when I press either F3, F11 or DEL. The debug board does however work since I have tried earlier to log into WHS v1 with the PS/2 keyboard.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:48 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The jumper is necessary for the JP2 pins. Got everything running now. Mystra is online! Thanks for the great debug board by the way :P.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:03 am 

I just received the cable and it is installed after 1 hour on my HP EX475
It works !

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:44 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

schliemann wrote: The jumper is necessary for the JP2 pins

I am also not able to start from USB. Could you explain how to set the jumpers? I did not open my X510 yet. Is there any good description how to do that?

Thanks a lot for any help!!

AcerAspire 5741G-434G64Mn Intel Core I5;Win7-HP
Medion Akoya MD 96970; Vista-HP
HP Pavillon A590; XP-HP
Sony Bravia TV

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:58 pm 
Founder
Founder

Here you go: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/01 ... x487-bios/

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
DrWatson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:04 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks Alex!!!! I'll try...

HP Pavillon A590; XP-HP
Sony Bravia TV

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:20 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

one more question:

will setting the jumper force the X510 to boot from the external USB or do I need to go into the bios and change boot priority?

HP Pavillon A590; XP-HP
Sony Bravia TV

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 pm 
Founder
Founder

Bottom rear USB port is the first boot device.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:27 am 

I finally have had a chance to test the cable I received earlier in the week. It arrived as quickly as can be expected considering non-tracked mail often gets stuck at Canada customs for a while.

The board works great and helped me to determine that my EasyStore H340 system drive has a SMART error that was halting the boot process. With the keyboard, I was able to bypass the error and successfully boot up. Regardless of the successful bootup, it's time to get a new drive! I also want to cut a hole through my case so I can leave the cable permanently hooked up.

Is there any reason that I couldn't leave the debug jumper on the motherboard in place permanently?

Thanks for the great service!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:18 pm 

slow1234 wrote:
I finally have had a chance to test the cable I received earlier in the week. It arrived as quickly as can be expected considering non-tracked mail often gets stuck at Canada customs for a while.

The board works great and helped me to determine that my EasyStore H340 system drive has a SMART error that was halting the boot process. With the keyboard, I was able to bypass the error and successfully boot up. Regardless of the successful bootup, it's time to get a new drive! I also want to cut a hole through my case so I can leave the cable permanently hooked up.

Is there any reason that I couldn't leave the debug jumper on the motherboard in place permanently?

Thanks for the great service!

I think I'm having the same problem as you with my EasyStore H340. It was working wonderfully until I restarted it about a week ago and what happens now is that the H340 will attempt to boot up, but none of the hard drive lights are illuminated. I'm getting the blue network connection indicator and the blue "i", but no blue HDD lights on the hard drive bay or on the left side. I've left the H340 on for days thinking it might just be "re-balancing" the data on the drives, but no real indication appears that that is actually happening.

Is that similar to the "halting the boot process" situation you were experiencing?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 am 

yolaeric wrote:
I think I'm having the same problem as you with my EasyStore H340. It was working wonderfully until I restarted it about a week ago and what happens now is that the H340 will attempt to boot up, but none of the hard drive lights are illuminated. I'm getting the blue network connection indicator and the blue "i", but no blue HDD lights on the hard drive bay or on the left side. I've left the H340 on for days thinking it might just be "re-balancing" the data on the drives, but no real indication appears that that is actually happening.

Is that similar to the "halting the boot process" situation you were experiencing?

Yes - definitely similar. I also had no HDD lights and I also tried leaving it on for multiple days with no success. Eventually it even got to the point where the blue network connection indicator light wouldn't come on as well. At that point, I just turned off and unplugged the system, and ordered the debug board.

It wasn't until I got the debug boards and could plug in a monitor to see what was going on that I discovered the boot process had halted with the SMART error. The ability to plugin a keyboard was also critical, as I had to hit F1 to acknowledge the SMART error and continue the boot process.

Unfortunately, I can't see a setting in the BIOS that will let the system ignore the SMART error and continue booting through. So, every time I reboot the H340, I have to hit F1. As such, I'll be keeping the debug board installed permanently with a KVM switch setup. I also just borrowed my buddy's dremmel tool to cut a hole in the H340 case so I can close it up around the cable.

chris

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 pm 

I'm about to order one of these cables, however I'm slightly concerned I have a different revision of motherboard in my (I assume late model) Acer H340. You need a jumper to unlock the bios right? Well JP4 doesn't really exist and as its just two solder points on the board with no pins. See pic: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9551895/JP4.jpg

The only other jumper I can see is in the middle of the board, but doesn't correspond to the acer service manual for this model. See pic: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9551895/JP3.jpg

Any clues?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:55 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Does your motherboard look exactly like the one on page 41 of the official Acer easyStore H340 service manual? If not, what is the exact model/serial number and where did you buy your unit?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next