It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have had my unit for several years of great service. I fitted using the top tray, but I really need the fourth drive slot and so I'm now prepared to drill or file if needed to fit my debug unit in a different way so it does not take up the top disk drive draw...

Whats the best way to do this? has anyone posted any pics ?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved...

HP EX490 with External VGA + Keyboard + Mouse Unit (still original Celeron 450 & 2Gb RAM for now!!)
Windows 8 Pro
House Has:
2 Dell Desktops
4 Dell Laptops
2 Samsung Smart TV's
Ps3
Xbox360

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:26 pm 

This is how I installed both my Debug Boards: viewtopic.php?p=70165#p70165

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:06 am 

I just received my Gen3 board here in Denmark.
I expected to pay a tax upon receipt, but what I experienced was completely ludicrous.
I was taxed for a value of 116.86$ USD, for the 80$ board. Apparently Danish customs add the "Postage and fees" value to the value of the unit when deciding what to charge.
I ended up paying an additional, wait for it, 57.5$ USD in taxes and custom fees.

If you ever get more customers from Denmark, please mark the unit as a 'gift' if at all possible. Or just list the value at the actual price of the shipping, not your actual expenses.. not sure how it works but this was a very rude awakening for me.. so something to keep in mind when shipping to Denmark at least. (Maybe I'm not the only customer =) )

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Froberg,

You are correct. That value does seem oddly high.

If you like, take a picture of the way bill and email it in. If the declared value is wrong, we can certainly do something about that. The declared amount for the item should be $80 because that is how much you paid.

Most people are not hit with such a high tax amount, so I'm suspicious if your custom's officer misread or miscalculated something. Several debug cables have gone to Denmark without complaints about high customs fees. Do you know the fees Denmark charges for imports?

I hope everything else goes well, but if they don't, please don't hesitate to send in an email and we'll figure something out.

- Charles

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:25 am 

It's accurate.. I'll send you the information in an e-mail so you can see it yourself. :)

Regarding the producft. I've now had a chance to test it out and it's very good quality, works just as it says on the tin and there are absolutely no complaints from me in the functionality department. I only wish it could be mounted inside the case somehow, but hey, one cannot have everything.
I'm considering trying to remove the assembly itself but leave the connector cable intact for more ease-of-use when the debug board is required. Pulling apart the server every time is just asking for trouble, particularly considering how the drive bay assembly has been constructed.

The server and the quality of the product were both excellent, I cannot recommend this enough to others who wish to try this out.

Edit; Made a post concerning my installation here: http://froberg.me/index.php/upgrading-t ... the-ex490/ and how I ended up using the assembly kit.

:sanjuan:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Froberg for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:38 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have had my debug board installed for a few weeks now. Charles provided excellent information, answered all my questions, and provided a product with superb build quality.

I used links to tear-down the MediaSmart and install the board with no problems (well, once I had removed all the dust bunnies).

I was able to boot using my TV

I've left the top off the EX495 and have the debug board sitting on top for the time being

Absolutely happy with the board!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:07 pm 

Hi everyone,

This is a long time coming, but I want to say that I purchased a Debug board recently, and the board is amazing! You will not regret the purchase. I also want to say that Charles was phenomenal throughout the ordering process, even shipping the board so that I would get it before a big trip. Kudos to Charles on a wonderful product and for his wonderful customer service!!!

Best,
Sergio

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi everyone,

I definitely have to get myself one of these boards for my EX490 and X510, they will make life so much easier. Just need to pay off my holiday first before ordering one!

Kudos to the creator of this unit for developing and updating such a valuable hardware mod! :cheers:

Darran

The cloud is for people with their heads in them!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:59 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I bought two right off the bat, don't regret it for a min. Wish I would have bought a few extra cables.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:11 pm 

I recently ordered this cable with the Video only setup and used it with my Acer Aspire H340 Server. It worked like a charm and enabled me to install Windows 8 to replace Home Server 2003. Jury is still out on whether that was an improvement or not, but the Debug Board did a fine job and worked right out of the box. The only problem I had was with the jumper that needed to be installed. The photos provided showed a jumper close to the edge of the board but had marked a different proper jumper location further into the board. The problem was that my laser printer didn't print colors very well on the photo and I had a hard time figuring out the right jumper. I didn't really buy the board for getting into Bios anyway so it took me while to figure it out.

No audio on this computer when running headless. I wondered if anyone else had this problem and figured it out. If I log in with the Debug board with a local VGA, keyboard and mouse, the computer recognized my USB Sound System and plays to it fine. In Headless mode, this does not work since the system, for some reason, can no longer see an audio system to connect to. I was playing music today using the local screen with the debug board, and when I logged in from another computer, the music immediately stopped. My Cambridge DacMagic Plus showed up when using the local VGA, but I could only get "Remote Audio" using Remote. Any ideas on that would be appreciated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Is the version with PS2 KB/Mouse connections necessary for the EX495 or will it work with USB keyboard/mouse? Do I need PS2 peripherals for BIOS access?

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:22 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

There is a FAQ that sorta talks about this (pasted below). I'm not sure if this answers your questions:

Quote:
Q: Do I need to get the PS2 option if I am using the debug board for basic troubleshooting? Can I simply get a VGA-Only board and plug a USB keyboard into the HP box?
A: The VGA-Only is perfect for doing basic troubleshooting. As far as I know, HP and Acer do not lock out the USB keyboard, regardless of the debug board configuration. You will need a jumper to access USB keyboard functionality on select HP MediaSmart Server and Acer easyStore models.

You should be able to get into the BIOS with a USB keyboard. Don't forget that some model (i.e. the EX495) will need to have the secret jumper installed to unlock PS2/USB keyboard access to the BIOS. It's also safe to leave the jumper installed permanently.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:10 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

cakalapati wrote:
There is a FAQ that sorta talks about this (pasted below). I'm not sure if this answers your questions:

Quote:
Q: Do I need to get the PS2 option if I am using the debug board for basic troubleshooting? Can I simply get a VGA-Only board and plug a USB keyboard into the HP box?
A: The VGA-Only is perfect for doing basic troubleshooting. As far as I know, HP and Acer do not lock out the USB keyboard, regardless of the debug board configuration. You will need a jumper to access USB keyboard functionality on select HP MediaSmart Server and Acer easyStore models.

You should be able to get into the BIOS with a USB keyboard. Don't forget that some model (i.e. the EX495) will need to have the secret jumper installed to unlock PS2/USB keyboard access to the BIOS. It's also safe to leave the jumper installed permanently.

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:41 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

+1 for all the posts talking about how great this little board is. Without it, my NAS4Free project was dead in the water. Ordering the board was painless, professional, and quick to delivery as promised. Would have no problem recommending it to to anyone that needed to change a headless box to something you can see/configure as needed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:40 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Final posting on this topic. If you decide to leave the cable attached and to tuck it away beside the fan in back, be damn careful of the capacitors on the MB.

They seem to pop off rather easily....

:oops:

PM me if you want to buy a slightly used VGA/PS2/Serial Debug Board...

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next