It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:50 pm 

yakuza wrote:
Not trying to derail Cavediver's topic too much (go order a board from him now that he's got them in stock!), but I've been getting the emails without issue and wanted to speak to what I believe is the problem. The behavior of the forums is that when you subscribe to a topic, and email is sent when the first new reply is posted. Subsequent replies are not emailed until you have visited the topic to view the reply. After you visit the topic, the next new reply will generate an email. This is covered in detail in this forum post.

That wasn't the issue in my case. In my case, I NEVER received an email notification until I actually posted a message to the thread. I suppose the forum software won't allow you to subscribe to threads until you've posted at least one message to the forum, but I suspect it was just a glitch. Though I'm new to this one, I'm not at all new to forums and write software for a living, so I'm at least moderately confident that I had clicked on the correct links to subscribe to the thread without posting to it - it just didn't work (for me). My initial post wasn't intended to spawn tons of off topic posts about thread subscriptions, but to instead apologize for making a useless / OT post just to subscribe to the thread when the subscribe link should have worked.

I just placed my order and sent payment to cavediver a few minutes ago. I also have my 120mm fans waiting for the board. Once the board arrives, I'll need to figure out if my Norco SFF-8087 mini-SAS to mini-SAS cables (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133034) will fit through the cutouts on the new fan board or if I need to track down some more flexible cables (or try to route them over the top of the board) - this is the only concern I have with installing the board. The Norco cables are pretty stiff. If anyone has been through this already and has a suggestion for alternate cables that are more flexible, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You will probably need to bend the cables down just behind the backplane connector. There are photos of my cables bent down in the Andromeda thread.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:08 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Payment Sent Thanks Again it will be nice to have a quiet Norco rather than the Howl of the 80mm Screamers !!!

Quick question i took your advice on the fans to use with this board. I use Newegg for everything and i just want to make sure i have the right ones that you recommend before ordering.

Are these correct ? i remember you said 1600rpm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185059

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

PM sent. Looking forward to getting it!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:01 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Wow, talk about timing! PM also sent

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:16 pm 

cavediver wrote:
You will probably need to bend the cables down just behind the backplane connector. There are photos of my cables bent down in the Andromeda thread.

Right, but the Norco cables appear to be less flexible than the cables you're using partly because they have the "flex" tubing and heatshrink all the way to the connector ends. I placed an order at Provantage for the cables you appear to be using as they look like they should be easier to work with, so I should be ok now.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:32 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Chasrobin wrote:
Wow, talk about timing! PM also sent

Hows the beast coming along ? Did you finish mating the two Norco's together yet ? Love to see pictures

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:14 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Progressing nicely, checkout The Beast thread for details and pics.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hey Cavediver i just wanted to thank you for the Fan Board. I just received it today and it is THE BEST thing i have ever done for the Norco. I used the suggested 1600rpm Fans and like you said, can hardly hear it now. No more roar and whine of the Delta's

Thank you so much for providing a fan board like this for Norco users. For anyone that has a Norco, get one of these boards ASAP. The are well made and with the right fans, you will never think it is a Norco case. Packaged very well. I don't even think if this thing made it inside a football game that anything would happen to it. Thanks again !!!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank keithkeith3333 for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:24 pm 

keithkeith3333 wrote:
Hey Cavediver i just wanted to thank you for the Fan Board. I just received it today and it is THE BEST thing i have ever done for the Norco. I used the suggested 1600rpm Fans and like you said, can hardly hear it now. No more roar and whine of the Delta's

Thank you so much for providing a fan board like this for Norco users. For anyone that has a Norco, get one of these boards ASAP. The are well made and with the right fans, you will never think it is a Norco case. Packaged very well. I don't even think if this thing made it inside a football game that anything would happen to it. Thanks again !!!

I'll second that - mine also arrived today. Though I haven't had a chance to install it yet, I can definitely agree that the build quality is excellent. Thanks Cavediver.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:48 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

GRRRR...mine won't come until tomorrow....makes me even more anxious...lol

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:23 pm 

greynolds wrote:
keithkeith3333 wrote:

I'll second that - mine also arrived today. Though I haven't had a chance to install it yet, I can definitely agree that the build quality is excellent. Thanks Cavediver.

I third that. Mine arrived this afternoon. The first time I turned the computer back on after installing the new fan board I thought I had broken something. It was just too quiet to be working properly, I thought. But it was working just fine! :) Thanks Cavediver!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:55 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Cavediver, I got my fan board last week (Thank you!) and ordered the same 1600 RPM fans you have. Did you switch out the 2 rear 80mm fans as well? Since my server is a new build and I'm still collecting parts, I haven't gotten a chance to power anything on yet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:59 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Nefarious wrote:
Cavediver, I got my fan board last week (Thank you!) and ordered the same 1600 RPM fans you have. Did you switch out the 2 rear 80mm fans as well? Since my server is a new build and I'm still collecting parts, I haven't gotten a chance to power anything on yet.

You're welcome. And, yes, I replaced the rear fans with Noctua NF-R8s.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Cavediver does replacing the rear fans help with anything ? Dropping drive temps or make the system any more quiet ? Thanks boss. I am loving the new fan setup in the Norco. Can not even hear it. Been running 24/7 since the new fans went it. Thanks !

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next