It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi.

I need a remote. Be darned if I can figure out what the HP part number is for the MediaSmart Connect remote control. I picked up a:

HP MEDIASMART TV CENTER REMOTE CONTROL RC 2285202/01 313922853941.
This remote is good for LCD TV. This item is new, in its own plastic bag. 2 "AA" Batteries included.

off of ebay hoping it would recognize the MediaSmart connect but alas not. Maybe I could program the avr device setting if I new what the code was? not certain. Either way I do have this remote that i can't control my Connect with if anyone wants it. $15 US shipped.

So you wonderful MediaSmart Connect owners, do any of you happen to know how I can get my hands on a replacement remote control for this unit?

Thank you!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:59 am 
Founder
Founder

My Logitech Harmony 550 universal remote is able to control almost all the features of the MSC, I'd probably recommend you go that route. Any Harmony remote should do it and will likely be less headache and time spent for you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:20 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
My Logitech Harmony 550 universal remote is able to control almost all the features of the MSC, I'd probably recommend you go that route. Any Harmony remote should do it and will likely be less headache and time spent for you.

Indeed it seems pretty much any programmable Harmony will do the trick. Been thinking about it but the wife is such remote-block though and she is used to the nice HP unit. I live in one of those houses whereby the man provides all the technology but the wife controls it

/Sound of a leather whip cracking somewhere in the distance.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:34 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Is there actually a setting to use? Do you recall off the top of your head how you configured/added the device? Did you have to teach the harmony 550?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 am 
Founder
Founder

When I first got the 550 the MSC was not in the logitech database. Now it is, though adding it as an activity is not as clean as I'd like. I have to select the MSC device, and from there all the controls seem to work.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
helrazr
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:40 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Well as luck would have it I did find a new one listed as used this past weekend(Harmony 550 that is). I'll play with it when I get home again tonight, I was getting confuzzled creating the Device as the only way it seemed to allow me to create it was as a Media Center PC. Then creating an actual activity with it was a gong show, it simply did not want to allow me to add an activity similar to 'Watch Videos'. I did notice this morning though that it was listed on the second page of the Activities.

I like the way when you press an activity button it changes the input on the tv and fires up say your dvd player at the same time. I was really hoping that using the x280n button would shift the input on my TV to Colorstream2 and fire up the MediaSmart Connect.

Speaking of the MediaSmart Connect, when it goes to sleep, it seems that if I fire up a laptop that recognizes it as an extender it brings it out of sleep mode. That is weirdass too. I'll have to figure that one out as well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:51 am 
Founder
Founder

helrazr wrote:
I was really hoping that using the x280n button would shift the input on my TV to Colorstream2 and fire up the MediaSmart Connect.

This is how I have mine set up, hitting the "Media Streaming" activity I created turns the TV to the right input, turns the receiver to the right input, and turns on the MSC.

helrazr wrote:
Speaking of the MediaSmart Connect, when it goes to sleep, it seems that if I fire up a laptop that recognizes it as an extender it brings it out of sleep mode. That is weirdass too. I'll have to figure that one out as well.

I've noticed this too, the MSC seems to turn it self on randomly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:30 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
helrazr wrote:

Only when an OS that recognizes the device on the network as a media extender. So the wife and kid are using XP, and nothing happens. My work 8710W is alos running XP and nuttin. My upgraded dv8320 though is running vista 64 and as soon as I crank the laptop on it fires up the MSC.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:20 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
helrazr wrote:
I was really hoping that using the x280n button would shift the input on my TV to Colorstream2 and fire up the MediaSmart Connect.

This is how I have mine set up, hitting the "Media Streaming" activity I created turns the TV to the right input, turns the receiver to the right input, and turns on the MSC.

helrazr wrote:

By randomly, do you mean without you (or your cat) powering on any devices that it will recognize as an extender?

As for the OP, here is the list of parts for the X280N (though the remote is not for sale)

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/ma ... n+(KC816AA)&template=main&plist_sval=ALL&plist_styp=flag&dealer_id=&callingsite=&strsrch=&keysel=%3F&catsel=%3F

A quick google search reveals just one link to a possible vendor:

http://www.chilternitparts.com/products ... /5189-3685

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hah, my cats fortunately have not figured out how to turn on my electronic devices. :) The x280n turns on randomly, my VMC which the x280n extends is always on (no sleep or hibernate), perhaps there is some activity that wakes it up?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:18 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Hah, my cats fortunately have not figured out how to turn on my electronic devices. :) The x280n turns on randomly, my VMC which the x280n extends is always on (no sleep or hibernate), perhaps there is some activity that wakes it up?

I'm trying to determine what in particular is waking the unit. I think that if you powered off your VMC, your x280n will still wake up randomly if connected to the network. Not really an issue as it has a nice little HP screensaver but intriguing nonetheless.

*EDIT* From testing, I know that it's not DHCP REQ or DHCP ACK, nor ARP. It's also not WOL. Router model/brand doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:09 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

You need part number 5189-3685, Unfortunately, it's NLA from HP. I found one company on the internet that says the can get them. I've put in a request to see if it's true.

http://www.chilternitparts.com/products ... /5189-3685

If you have located one, please let me know.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Very good indeed. I have 2 x280n's and only 1 remote. The Harmony I picked up works ok, but frustrates the better half. Please let me know what the response is.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I got a response from Chiltern today:

Unfortunately we are unable to source this part on this occasion, due to the item becoming obsolete and thus no longer orderable from the manufacturer. We apologise that this was not propagated to our web store prior to your enquiry and for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:35 pm 

Did anyone ever find a source for replacement remote for the x280n?

My dog (literally) ate mine and im going nuts not being able to use it. I also bought an erroneously labeled replacement off ebay and would like to avoid the Harmony if possible.

Any info is appreciated.

Best-John D

Thanks