It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:26 pm 

Hello,
I am new on the topic and read with a great interest all information which gives you on the HP media Smart.
I buy his week a HP Dataa vault X510 because the ex 495 does not exist in France.
I would be interested to order the VGA cable for my server. Is what the compatibility issues were arranged since?
Charles, I thank you by advance for your answer.
:oops: excuse to me for my English
Best regards

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:09 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I have one last shipment of Gen2 PCBs arriving in about two days, but I have enough cables/PCBs made to re-open the service and start shipping back-ordered items. If you've emailed me, requesting a cable, then you should be getting a PayPal invoice shortly. If you have not received a PayPal invoice by Feb 17th, email me (see the first post for my email address) and let me know--perhaps your request somehow got lost. To those who receive a PayPal invoice, your cable will ship shortly after your payment has cleared.

I want to thank everyone in line for being so very patient. It has been a rough time for some--it's hard to wait in line when your box is disabled because you accidentally disabled the network card through the Windows Remote Desktop.

Will I release a Gen3 cable to fix some of the issues with the EX49x/X510? Maybe. But if there is, it won't be ready until (maybe) April 2010. I am currently working on finding a way to not only produce a Gen3 PCB that is 100% compatible with the EX49x/X510 series, but also one that is affordable. Even though I've shipped several Gen2 PCBs to customers who swear they have no problems with their EX49x, I don't like the idea of selling anything that is not 100% compatible with the latest hardware.

Finally, to anyone reading this the first time, to place your order, read the first post of this forum for instructions. If you have any questions, feel free to post them on this forum or email me directly (see the first post to get my email address).

Attachments:
GI0F7183 (Large).JPG
GI0F7183 (Large).JPG [ 111.36 KiB | Viewed 31116 times ]

Last edited by cakalapati on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:44 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

cakalapati wrote:
... it's hard to wait in line when your box is disabled because you accidentally disabled the network card through the Windows Remote Desktop.

There is an alternative for those who are desperate: See the WIKI article at http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/How_to_fix_a_disabled_network_interface.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:07 pm 

What is your email. I cannot find it in the post. I also sent a PM on the 27th. Since then I have received no response.
Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

Email address is in the first post, I have highlighted it in red. 8)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
harmonycomputers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:51 pm 

Great product. one question before I submit the order: Do you have instruction how to plug the other end of the cable to the WHS box? Or if you already have it posted somewhere, a link is perfect. Pictures are much preferable since I am not a comp geek :)

Thanks

le9569

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:17 am 

le9569 wrote:
Great product. one question before I submit the order: Do you have instruction how to plug the other end of the cable to the WHS box? Or if you already have it posted somewhere, a link is perfect. Pictures are much preferable since I am not a comp geek :)

Thanks

le9569

Here is a picture of an EX47x MSS Motherboard and I have circled the location of where to plug the debug cable cable in. The other MSS Motherboards have the same connector in the same location.
Attachment:
Debug_connector.jpg
Debug_connector.jpg [ 2.92 MiB | Viewed 30985 times ]

If you goto page 5 in this message thread you will see some pictures of how I chose to install the cable. Since all the HP MSS case designs are the same in all their units with exception to the LX195 you can perform the same modification without to much difficulty. With the debug cable path I chose the hardest part is getting the front Grill on but I have done this to 2 units and its not overly complicated.

The debug cables work out very well and for me I am well pleased with them. If you want instructions on how to dissemble your MSS let me know.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:47 pm 

I got the kit with VGA+PS2, and the VGA works fine. I can get into the BIOS with a USB keyboard attached to a USB port, but I have not been able to get any PS2 keyboards to work with an EX487.

When I plug a PS2 keyboard in (even with the unit off but plugged in) the numlock, capslock and scroll lights flash... but then nothing. I bought this connector so that I could install server 2008 on it, but I can't get a USB thumb drive and USB keyboard to work at the same time... so without the PS2 working, I'm sunk. Any thoughts?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:00 pm 

Hi cmiz,

If you bought your KVM or as its refered to as a debug connector from cakalapati, I would encourage you to contact him regard the unit. I have one on the EX470 and it works very well. There was some discussion regarding some issues using them on the EX49x awhile back that I believe he was looking into.

In the mean time is it possible to verify the keyboard is functioning properly. However I have seen keyboards work fine with on unit and not well with another unit. So it would not be the first time a keyboard caused a problem. Here is another example, I have a 4 system KVM switch so I can share a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor with 4 computers. I had not used it in sometime and one day I decided to pull it out to service multiple comptuers. Thing is everything went south due to a malfuntion on a keyboard.

Now do you happen to have one of those USB to PS2 Keyboard and Mouse connectors? If you could you kindly connect it into the front USB port and use the Flash Drive in the lower USB port of your EX487 only connecting the video to the cable not the mouse or the keyboard. I know its a weird experiment but these connectors work well with exception to sometimes not being able to get into the BIOS which ofen happens on systems designed to run with a PS2 Keyboard and you try a USB Keyboard.

Thing is you have already tried 2 different keyboad tests but I want to take the mouse out of the picture from your debug cable just to make sure your only using it for video at this time. In the mean time I again urge you to contact cakalapati to see what if anything he may have to offer for a solution.

Good Luck and please do write back and let me know how your making out. Keep the faith it only a small issue that I am certain we can work around.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi cmiz. Thank you for the feedback. Can I ask you what exact keyboard you are using? Can you post the exact make/model along with the voltage specs in the back of the keyboard? I've scrambled five different PS2 keyboards from five different companies and the the only one that have given me trouble are the Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard. Have you tried other PS2 keyboards?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 am 

Hi, I just buy one LX195 server today and I was looking at first page about the compatibility of the kvm pcb with it but I haven't seen.

It's this kvm cable compatible with the LX195?

I want to order the cable but I need to know about I can use it on LX195.

Regards.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:51 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I have not personally tested it but I know people have purchased the cable for the LX195 without any post-purchase complaints. This forum describes someone using the KVM cable to put Linux on the LX195.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:39 pm 

Hi I have just come accross a post about this HP MediaSmart Server VGA/PS2/Serial Cables For sale
I have always wondered why hp never put these ports in the pc to begin with ?

do u still produce this item ? and how do i order 1

forgive me if this sounds stupid hoever just to confirm:
am i correct in saying that once installed i will be able to use this like my normal pc, ie connect my moniter to it and see whats going on etc, without having to use another pc and login using the consal ?

thanks
chloe

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

@chloe4479: With the KVM cable installed, you can treat your MediaSmart Server computer just like a regular computer. To request a cable, simply read the first post (linked here) and follow the instructions.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:02 pm 

chloe4479 wrote:
Hi I have just come accross a post about this HP MediaSmart Server VGA/PS2/Serial Cables For sale
I have always wondered why hp never put these ports in the pc to begin with ?

The primary reason for not putting a video connetion port on a WHS was because the WHS was intended to be run like a home appliance for backing up clients and serving as a central storage device. Sort of like set it and forget it. If you run your server that way it requires little to no attention on the end users part.

However as time progressed the WHS became used for more things then the original intention making it and even greater platform to run. Many like myself have added video to their servers to assist in troubleshooting and monitoring their servers and free up the client computers to do other things. Units made by HP, Acer and others do not actually require you to have the video component as they have done most of the setup work for you. If however you build your own WHS the video component is an absolute necessitiy.

I will say this much and that is to have the video component on your WHS is absolutely wonderful but not really necessary just nice to have.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next