It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:20 pm 

I got a bad back-plane for my HP EX470 that only has two of the drives working, and I'm looking to replace it. If you have a good back-plane for the HP EX470, PLEASE contact me! Make me a reasonable offer.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:51 pm 

I may have 2 available but I will have to check to see. Actually all the MSS backplanes are interchangeable. Did you happen to damage your backplane? There are only 2 common things which often go wrong with them and they are a knocked off or broken capacitor or a damaged SATA Connector. If your current backplane does not have any physical damage then you may have another issue with your server.

Have you looked at the two drives to make sure they are in good working order because if they have issues then buying another backplane may not solve your issue. I have a couple EX470's that are available for a very reasonable price. If I have a backplane which I believe I have 2 more available then I would be happy to sell them to you but would like for you to verify the drives are in good working order before purchasing another backplane.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:36 pm 

Yeah, it was a physical damage. One of the capacitors on the top was broken, thus the problems. I was afraid of soldering it back, because there wasn't much room to spare and that I'm not that great in soldering. I'm currently running an Ubuntu server on it, and it's been a while since I installed WHS on it. I have upgraded the server myself, putting in 2 GB of ram and upgrading the chip to the 35w X2 3800+. I tried three drives on the slot #1 and #3, but none worked, but when I tried them on #2, they all worked.

So all the MSS are interchangable? Because I saw one for the EX495 on sale at a website. I thought it would only work for that particular model.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:11 pm 

They are all the same. In my collection of servers I have an EX47x, EX48x, and an EX49x and the back planes are all the same. I have swapped them myself. If I am correct I should have 2 backplanes available. What I would do is just swap the backplane out a an EX470 that I run all the time. This way you will know it was running in an EX470 and can take comfort in knowing that..

I should have an answer for you later today when I arrive home from work.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:53 pm 

Cool, thanks. Also, I might need to get a new power supply, because lately it cuts off after if it's on for a long period of time. Though, when I turn it back on, it seems to go on for a long period of time before cutting off again, so I don't think it's the overheating issue.

Also, what's the best fans to use on the EX470 to reduce heat?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:17 pm 

Ok I have 1 Backplane left and I will send you a PM on that.

As for the PSU you have 2 sources for them. Overtek LTD and KDM Power. I have been exchanging email with KDM Power and they now have a newer Direct Replacement PSU with a longer power cable that is correctly wired for the MSS so there is no longer a need for their adapter cable. They have also informed me that they would sell adapter cables as a separate item which will allow you to connect a standard PSU to the MSS for PSU Testing to allow you to rule out if the issue is the PSU or related to other issues other then the PSU.

Both KDM Power and Overtek LTD sell their PSU's on eBay but before you opt to purchase a KDM PSU send them an email asking them if the PSU they are selling is the newer one with the longer power cable or the older which requires the adapter cable. Anyway these are the only 2 suppliers of PSU's that are confirmed to work with all MSS Models.

As for the fans they are 80mm PWM or Pulse Width Modulation and are mounted in the MSS on Silicon Mounts. You can read about them on the following link: http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5C ... Public.pdf. I have only had 1 fan failure in an EX470 since 2008 but because I repurposed 2 MSS units to become Port Multipliers it provided me with extra MSS Backplanes and fans.

The one issue with fans you have to be careful with is the CFM Rating which is the measurement of how much air flow they can generate if you spec vs the db level with is the measurement of noise. Most people like their servers to run quietly because they are often in locations where noise is a big factor so if you buy a fan because of its noise level but do not pay attention to the CFM Rating you may not effectively be cooling your servers components and with the MSS relying on a passive cooling this is critical. HP Opted to use PWM fans because they could regulate the speed the fans were operating at based on temperature conditions within the server so if the servers components are cool the fans slow down and reduce the noise level but if things heat up the fans spin up and which raises the noise level.

There is also another thing to keep in mind about air flow keeping things cool and that is if the environment your in is on the dusty side it would require you to clean the server more frequently because the higher the air flow the more dust it will bring into the server and then the dust build up acts like an insulator causing more heat so its important to keep all these things in mind when it comes to selecting newer fans.

For the EX470 Alex wrote a very nice ADD-IN called MSS FAN CONTROL http://www.mediasmartserver.net/add-ins/#MSSFanControl this ADD-IN allows you to change the way the fans operate in your EX470. I opt to run my fans at full speed because I have upgraded the processors to either BE2300 or ADD3800+ CPU's and keeping those processors cool is of importance to me and without this ADD-IN I would not be able to keep my servers running because they would just shut down when the Processor Temps were elevated.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks