It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:07 pm 

I was on eBay today and found KDMPOWER selling what appears to be a direct replacement PSU for the HP MSS manufactured by Hipro and without all those extra cables. While I have not purchased on to test out I do plan on doing so very soon. If you purchase one of these please let me know how it worked out for you.

Here is a link to that PSU on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320W-HP-MediaSm ... 5d3f103305

At $74.50 with free shipping this is a good deal.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:32 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hey Comp, I'm not sure of that one. If you scroll down on the add it says:
Quote:
FEATURES:
With Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) and remote ON/OFF function for high efficiency and reliability, it includes these output connectors: 20pin, P4-12V 4pin, SATA II 15pin, Molex 4pin, and FDD 4pin.

I would have to say there adds are a little sketchy, they may be a great PS but they need to clear up there add if so.
And one of there adds shows a 20 pin motherboard adapter which would not fit in there either. Does overtek not sell them anymore?

P.S. I just sent a message to overtek_psu_for_u to see if they will produce anymore?? Will report back if I hear anything. Fingers crossed... I could use another one on the shelf myself.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:51 pm 

I actually scrolled all the way to the very end and if you look at that listing they only list one connector. I will have to inquire about the differences between his two listings to get that matter cleared up.

I am not quite sure what is going on over at Overtek but if I needed a PSU I would purchase a Flex ATX PSU and terminate all the interference connectors and then rewire the thing to work with an MSS.

Now if you did not want to terminate the wires from the inside of the PSU you could just cut the connectors up and use heat tape to cover the ends of the wires and run them along side the right side of the PSU and cable tie them in place. That's what I did with the last MSS Port Multiplier I built because I felt if I ever wanted to reuse that PSU I could simply attach the connectors again.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:02 pm 

I sent KDMPOWER a request to confirm the cables on the PSU and to include an actual picture and they have since updated their eBay Listing to include a picture of the actual PSU.

So check out the updated listing and if you order one please let us know how it works out for you! http://www.ebay.com/itm/320W-HP-MediaSm ... 5d3f103305

Attachment:
KDMPower_MSS_PSU.jpg
KDMPower_MSS_PSU.jpg [ 10.53 KiB | Viewed 18858 times ]

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Gardian
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hey now, That's more like it. If I don't hear from Overtek, I'll pickup one of these myself.
Thanks for following up on these, I had seen them but they looked (not right) so I passed them by.
Nice power.
P.S. I was going to buy, but saw this:
Quote:
Our redesign 320W Power Supply with adapter cable is guaranteed to work with your HP media smart EX475 480 485 487 490 server

I would guess it can be stuffed in there, but would rather not have the adapter. But would be better then none.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 am 

I was more then happy for them to put the picture up and edit their listing although they did not edit the colorful description of their PSU which looks to be what they use for all the other PSU's they sell so its like a generic description.

There is another company who claims to sell Direct Replacement PSU's and I have tried to contact them several times in the past but never received a reply from them really annoyed me.

Anyway it looks like you have a supplier should you need a PSU.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:27 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I contacted Jon at Overtek a couple of weeks ago when I first started having power supply issues.

He responded in about 12 hours and let me know that they will not have the HP style drop in replacement power supplies until July but that he could modify one of the other ones they have in stock to fit (wiring and connector).

I opted to repair mine instead of waiting until July. I didn't like the idea of using a one-off modification.

I'd like to know about this KDMPOWER supply if anyone does buy one.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:22 pm 

Overtek modifies all their PSU's so if they offered to modify another model its probably because he was out of stock on the ones he does modify unless something has changed and he purchases then with the correct wiring from the manufacturer.

As for KDM Power just read their review looking for reviews from those who purchased theirs for MSS use. If you buy one from them on eBay and its not right you do have protections both from eBay and Pay Pal and let me tell you I have only had 1 issue on eBay and another issue with a Pay Pal transaction on another site and in both cases my issues were resolved. Heck I ordered a book and it took forever for it to show up and filed a complaint with Pay Pal then I reported receiving it and removed my complaint and then Pay Pal decided to refund my money anyway and I got to keep the book. So you should have nothing to worry about but it would be nice to have someone here confirm the PSU from KDM Power works and only has the one connector so that it fits properly in the MSS enclosure. Also their price is good. Go buy a Flex ATX PSU and then modify it to work and it will cost you more between the cost of the PSU and your time and then you will void your warranty.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:04 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks - I had read that about Overtek but forgot the details. What I didn't mention before is that the power supplies Jon has coming in July are the higher Efficiency models - which in theory will run cooler yet provide more power margin. I don't currently need a PS as I elected to purchase the parts and repair the one I have as it's innards all look to be in excellent shape and had virtually no dust collected inside, no swollen caps, etc.

The price of the KDM Power supply is good but in reading the description there are too many connectors - so something's not exactly correct. I'd much rather some other adventurous soul be the first to verify that their product works as advertised. I do have a molex crimper and pins but getting the lengths right and into the connector is no fun! If I do buy one, it will be one of Jon's high efficiency models.

I've been on the receiving side of a PayPal dispute - I sold a cordless phone on ebay and took it to the post office already set with appropriate priority postage and delivery confirmation notification - well, it was two days before Christmas and the line at the Post Office was really long and a guy at the counter noticed that my package already had the postage on it and suggested that I just leave it on the counter and he'd make sure that it got processed. Well, it was never recorded and it was never delivered to the buyer - despite the fact that I immediately refunded his money when he notified me (it was like $30), PayPal put an immediate freeze on my account which took almost 6 months to get released! So it's a double edged sword.....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:35 pm 

I hear ya loud and clear. Just to clarify the KDM Supply description was updated after I made an inquiry and the description. I happen to like Overtek in that they have already been proven and have the satisfied customer base to prove it. They were the first I found to provide a direct replacement PSU for the MSS and strive to always provide better PSU's when they change models they work with.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:33 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just bought one of these, I asked for the picture and it looked good to me. $70 was good price to.
I'll shout out when I get it in.

Attachments:
powersupply.jpg
powersupply.jpg [ 29.94 KiB | Viewed 18687 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:33 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well I got my kdmpower power supply today and I will let the picture speak for itself.
Attachment:
power supplies.JPG
power supplies.JPG [ 154.25 KiB | Viewed 18648 times ]

I will be waiting for OverTek power supplies in the future. As you all know space is at a premium in these micro servers and I'm going to see if I can get this extra plastic to fit somewhere.
EDIT: To be fair, I just put this kdm power supply in a ex485 and it's a squeeze, but I got it. It powered up and seems to be working fine.

You decide, If the power supply would have looked like the pictures they sent I would have purchased a couple more, If Overtek stops making theirs I would buy the KDM and I will give them a good ebay rating because it does what they said it would, the extra plastic will fit, just, but I'm not to sure what it will do for airflow. :-k

Last edited by Gardian on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:47 am 

I have to admit I was excited to find this PSU and the pictures they sent me did not tell the whole story. That extra cable is what I have seen when their listing was with a PSU with all the extra cables. I mean in the end its still only one cable but its not exactly a direct fit like the Overtek PSU.

Hopefully Overtek will resume selling there proper direct fit PSU and while KDM is an option I think for me I would just modify a FLEX ATX PSU.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks