It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have an EX-485 that failed. I just bought the machine from someone across the country last week (I'm in Montreal, he is in Edmonton) and he said it was perfect, but he'd forgotten the login password. While I hope he'll step up and refund my money, I at least owe him the respect to try and return what he delivered, even if the failure isn't my fault.

When it arrived I reinstalled the system and the machine reported that the fans weren't working (they were) and that temps were high (they were).

But posts online implied that the machine will shut down to prevent heat related failures . . . . guess what. It didn't.

I have to guess that it is the processor that fried (the drives work and the power supply is OK), so if anyone has an original and working Celeron from a 485, please contact me directly at:

bram at rpw dot ca

It won't solve the overheat issue, but I also won't have almost $400 of freshly purchased boat anchor to deal with . . . . then to look into the overheating situation.

Thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:09 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I may have one, I will check tonight

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:29 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have one, I upgraded my CPU and am selling the unit and the CPU. Thread is here.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm 

bramfrank wrote:
I have an EX-485 that failed. I just bought the machine from someone across the country last week (I'm in Montreal, he is in Edmonton) and he said it was perfect, but he'd forgotten the login password. While I hope he'll step up and refund my money, I at least owe him the respect to try and return what he delivered, even if the failure isn't my fault.

When it arrived I reinstalled the system and the machine reported that the fans weren't working (they were) and that temps were high (they were).

But posts online implied that the machine will shut down to prevent heat related failures . . . . guess what. It didn't.

I have to guess that it is the processor that fried (the drives work and the power supply is OK), so if anyone has an original and working Celeron from a 485, please contact me directly at:

bram at rpw dot ca

It won't solve the overheat issue, but I also won't have almost $400 of freshly purchased boat anchor to deal with . . . . then to look into the overheating situation.

Thanks

That's a bummer but if you used Pay Pal then contact them and report the issue. Pay Pal is generally good about resolving these types of issues and getting funds back.

I have purchased quite a few servers but for me the difference here is I purchase non-working units and get them functional again and if not possible then I have repurposed the enclosure for other tasks but this is not your case. Any server I have ever sold is sold in a condition that's in the factory state and I typically prefer to sell local so that I can support the individual but none of this matters in your case.

Now your looking for a CPU but servers shut down for other reasons like PSU issues but the PSU in the EX485 is a proprietary PSU and the best supplier for direct replacement PSU's is Overtek LTD in the UK and they sell them on eBay. Now there is a small 40mm fan in these PSU's that if they are not functioning will cause the PSU to overheat and the end result is that it shuts down to protect itself. So the shut down could be the PSU.

If the fans are running full speed the CPU or Northbridge could be heating up which is why the fans are running at full speed. The EX485 like all the other similar HP Servers rely on passive cooling to cool the server components. Over time the fans can pull in so much debris that it actually collects in the fan area causing a reduction of air flow and a reduction of the servers ability to stay cool.

Not knowing the full history of the server these are the things I would look at to see if I could resolve the issue at hand.

Here is information on the PSU: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... wer_Supply

Here is how to take the MSS Apart: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09 ... -hardware/

The first link applies to the EX470 but all the PSU's in the MSS are compatible. The 2nd Link refers to the EX49x but all the MSS enclosures are the same so this will help you. The fans are connected on Silicon Mounts and slide to the left or to the right to remove them. The top and bottom fan extraction is in opposite directions. Keep track of where the fans are connected and which is the top and bottom fan. You may also run into a holder for the fan wire which twists open. When the server is completely disassembled and the fans have been removed you should be able to remove the back plastic cover which I believe pulls up to remove. Its the areas between the fans, cage and back cover where debris collects.

Just take your time, use an antistatic mat and ground wrist strap for handling the components to protect them from any damage caused by static discharge. If your experienced you can do this without the matt and wrist strap.

If your not sure about anything just stop and ask questions and if your not comfortable doing this and know someone who is experienced with working on, repairing or building computers try to enlist their help.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks