It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:24 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I'm looking for one (or two) stick of either DDR2 PC2-5300 or DDR2 PC2-6440 desktop memory -- 1 x 4GB -- to upgrade the memory in my EX490, and even my EX487 if I'm lucky. I'd like to get it at a reasonable price, and I'm willing to buy used.

I've checked Newegg, eBay, craigslist, Amazon and buy.com, but they are all way out of sight in price. Sure, there are some sticks in the $40-50 range but they tend to have terrible reviews. The memory that gets good reviews is generally 80+. Sure there's plenty for less than that on eBay, but there are clearly some significant bidding wars as many have dozens of bids with several days remaining.

Interesting that I can find 1 x 4 GB sticks in DDR3 for dirt cheap, yet older, slower memory is 2-3 times as expensive.

I was figuring if I was going to pay $80 I'd get two sticks, one for the EX490 and another for the EX487, but $80 would only buy me one and doesn't even cover the shipping!

If someone has two sticks they're willing to part with, I'm willing to pay $80 via PayPal, plus a reasonable shipping cost...heck $6 for a USPS priority mail small flat rate box should do it. Please shoot me a note if you have memory you're willing to sell.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hopefully this will save you from sounding like you're begging for someone to sell you two sticks of ram for dirt cheap. Yes, older ram prices do increase because they're not in high demand and production volume is lower which adds to the cost. Ram manufacturers purchase these memory modules in bulk and get discount pricing. When the purchase of ram chips goes below a certain amount it gets placed into another pricing tier.

http://www.directron.com/psd24g8002.html

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank ibuyufo for this post
msawyer91
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:25 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

ibuyufo wrote:
Hopefully this will save you from sounding like you're begging for someone to sell you two sticks of ram for dirt cheap. Yes, older ram prices do increase because they're not in high demand and production volume is lower which adds to the cost. Ram manufacturers purchase these memory modules in bulk and get discount pricing. When the purchase of ram chips goes below a certain amount it gets placed into another pricing tier.

Danke for the info. I actually found these on Newegg over the weekend. It's not that I necessarily wanted someone to sell me a pair for dirt, but when I looked at the price of DDR3 (newer, faster memory) compared to DDR2, I was amazed at how much cheaper (2-4x) DDR3 was than DDR2! It just seemed like a bank-breaker to buy two sticks at $80-90 apiece, when I could get 8 GB (2 x 4) of DDR3 for $40 or less.

I didn't think that DDR2 was so "old" that it was already out of demand enough to warrant the outrageous prices that purveyors are charging. Although I suppose I might get a halfway decent price for the 4 GB (2 x 2) on eBay once the new ones come in. ;)

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:35 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

msawyer91 wrote:
ibuyufo wrote:

Danke for the info. I actually found these on Newegg over the weekend. It's not that I necessarily wanted someone to sell me a pair for dirt, but when I looked at the price of DDR3 (newer, faster memory) compared to DDR2, I was amazed at how much cheaper (2-4x) DDR3 was than DDR2! It just seemed like a bank-breaker to buy two sticks at $80-90 apiece, when I could get 8 GB (2 x 4) of DDR3 for $40 or less.

I didn't think that DDR2 was so "old" that it was already out of demand enough to warrant the outrageous prices that purveyors are charging. Although I suppose I might get a halfway decent price for the 4 GB (2 x 2) on eBay once the new ones come in. ;)

haha that's how it is. I should have waited in buying my DDR3 ram. bought a total of 28 gb for 3 computers. I'm sure you can imagine how much more that cost me last year.

Thanks