It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:25 pm 

Thanks again Comp1962.
I am a firm believer in UPS's. I have a APC Backups 1500 on my server, cable model, switches, and WAP. I did not know Powerchute for WHS was available. I've been using GridJunction Add-in.

So I installed SMART as suggested... lots of messages on the drive that I ran CHKDSK on and got my server running again.
In the Home Network Health messeges (Critical) I have several errors:
1)
High Bas Sector Count
73 bad sectors on disk surface...reallocated to spare area.
2)
Disk Health Critical
...recommended that you replace it as soon as possible.
3)
High Reallocation event count
73 attempted reallocation events on the disk
4)
Pending sectors detected
4 sectors waiting to be reallocated.

It sounds like I need to replace the disk.
So I have another hard drive (same Seagate 1TB model as the original).
What is the best way to transfer data, reinstall WHS on new disk, etc.? Any way to copy disk?

running another chkdsk /r... I hope it lasts long enough to get everything off (I do have the external USB drive that I did a Server backup, but I do have stuff in the backups of various computers that I no longer have).

Thanks again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

:cry:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 pm 

Hi phd11414,

First your very welcome as I am always willing to help when possible. You can clone you existing system drive but its quite a process and I have actually followed this proceedure and it does work extremely well. If you want to try cloning your system drive then check out the link below:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... tem-drive/

I suggest you take great care to review the Guide. What cloning the drive does is keeps your server intact without the need to reconfigure and resetup the server as would be required when performing a Server Recovery. I have to tell you cloning the System Drive is fairly quick compared to actually performing a Server Recovery. Having said that, the proceedure is not for everyone but I can tell you it works perfectly when followed correctly and one should not rush through it but perform the cloning when they have time and can concentrate on the task at hand. You do not have to use the same make and model drive but it should be the same size or larger.

The current system drive could always be repurposed for other things. If you rip music and movies you could always just use the drive to hold the ripped content and then move the ripped content to the destination drives of your choise thus using the drive as a dumping ground for temporary file storage. I do this myself so and I do it to reduce the impact of fragmentation on drives that are important to me.

If for some reason only known to you that you chose to repurpose the drive into your server for any reason even as an unmanaged drive it will be important for you to remove the two partitions on the drive and to change the Unique Drive ID which you will need to do to make the new drive usable in the server as a System Drive so just swap the Unique Drive ID's between the drives. You will see how to do this in the Cloning Guide but I would not recommend you use the drive in the server but if down the road you decide to do this the Uniqe Drive ID will be very important or you server will pinch a fit about.

If you opt to go with the Server Recovery just make certain you download and install all the HP and Microsoft updates ignoring any messages that mention your client backup database is corrupt until you install all the updates as this error will go away after all the updates are installed and if you do what the server tells you then you will lose your client backup database.

Good Luck and if you should need additional help please feel free to ask.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:27 pm 

Comp1962:
Well you did it again. It worked great. I duplicated the original 1TB drive to another new drive of the same make and size using a StarTech drive duplicator. Interesting, the DiskID cloned and did not require intervention. Same for volume sizes in the registry... no changes needed.
S.M.A.R.T. shows a healthy disk, no issues reported under system health (other than PCs have not been backed up in awhile), and all seems well.
I installed Powerchute for WHS and BDBB (need to figure out how to use it) as you suggested also.
So, I just want to thank you once again for your advise and assistance.

I'm really happy with my HP EX470 and it has worked great for me.
One concern I have is that I really use the WHS to backup my laptops and PCs around the house. Gardian states that I really cannot restore the 64 bit Win7 laptop. If this is true, what is the best way to use WHS to protect these computers?

Should all my files (My Documents) really be on the share?
What else do people use their WHS for (I do use the media connector for all my music)?

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:51 pm 

I have restored a couple 64 bit clients running Win7 Ultimate. If you have a spare hard drive the same size or larger in your laptop you can give the recovery a try. What you may need to find is a 32 bit driver for the NIC to make the recovery work properly. When you perform a client recovery there are times when you actually need to supply drivers for the client and they must be 32 bit drivers not 64 bit since WHS v1 is a 32 bit OS you have to play in the 32 bit world for the recovery to be successful.

My guess is that the client Guardian was working was absent of 32 bit drivers for the recovery to work properly. There may have also been other factors which I can't actually comment on. So if you want to see if a client recovery is possible on a client you have then I suggest you swap out the hard drive with the same size or larger and simply give a recovery a try. If your successful then you will have peace of mind and if not then come back and let me know and lets see if we can work out a solution.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks