It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:57 pm 

From windows xp pro sp2 or sp3, with or without the client software installed, when I put the server recovery DVD in the machine and it starts to run I immediately get an error: WHS Recovery has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

From windows vista ultimate or business sp1 with or without the client software installed, I put in the recovery DVD, I accept the license agreement, the instruction page comes up tells me to uninstall the client software, power down server, power up server, press the recovery button, press next. I press next a window pops up searching for your server for a brief second then I get an error: WHS Recovery has stopped working.

Different ways I have tried this:

two different routers
with and without access to the internet
with and without more than just two devices (server and PC)
with and without anti-virus installed or on
without windows firewall enabled
with and with out the data drive inserted, original working (sort of) installation
with 2 brand new drives inserted
with only one brand new drive inserted one formatted or one not

What I am able to do:
From any of the combination of operating systems listed above I can remote desktop into the server by name or IP
Once inside remote desktop the home server console will not start.
I can do this with either router or directly connecting between PC and Server.
From the home server event log it appears that PC backups are still working on the clients that i did not uninstall the client software in order to try server recovery,
The clients that I uninstalled the client software from I can not re-install from the disk, from the software share, from the http://server:55000, the furthest I get is 0% downloading files.
The clients that still have the software installed have a gray connection icon.
I can not run home server console from any client.

Purchased and installed the debug card to watch the process of recover on server. The last thing that happens on server is Listener Created and then the courser starts to blink on next line.

I try starting the recovery DVD but it fails to get started before errors out.
The server shows up in the dhcp client list on router, I have tried adding the random server name and IP in the host file, I can ping server by name or IP.

All I want to do is restore the server to original condition and start over fresh, any ideas on how I can do this?

Attachments:
File comment: watching progress on server with debug card
whs_recovery_server.jpg
whs_recovery_server.jpg [ 57.52 KiB | Viewed 8703 times ]
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:29 pm 

Hi brainbucket welcome to the forums,

The picture you posted definately shows your server as being in its recovery mode. When your server is in its recovery mode it should show up on your routers DHCP Listing as MININT followed by other things. This is very important to check because if its not there you will not be able to perform the recovery. Based on what you have written it appears your server LAN is functioning but I would like for you to verify the router is indeed seeing the server.

Can I ask you why you want to perform a server recovery? I would like to figure out if you really need to perform a server recovery or is there some other corrective action that either myself or others might be able to recommend that can save you some grief.

Since I see you have other drives available these would allow you to test the recovery process out to make sure it works properly for the day when you absolutely need to perform a recovery so maybe we can takle both things in this message thread and get you pointed in the right direction so you can resume using your server as it was intended to run.

I look forward to working with you on this and I am certain others will offer their help and suggestions. Failure is not an option here so lets nail this issue quickly.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:08 pm 

OK Comp1962,

The server does show in the DHCP list as MININT-XXXXXXX and I wait until it does so before clicking on next in the 'prepare your server for recovery' window, and right after that recovery crashes.

The reason for server recovery is 'wonderful windows updates'. After an unsuccessful update attempt the home server console no longer worked from the server or from any client while the clients claimed needing connector updates in order to work there was no way to update them through the software shares or through the servers web pages.
After the long process of backing out the updates in reverse order of installation one at a time and still no change in home server. So the next step was to try recovery so not to lose data and get server up and running with out beating a dead horse. Then recovery wont work so I check drives find data drive unrepairable through disk check and decide to buy new hard drives and start with fresh install, leaving original disks alone to recover at another date if any data was needed later.
Idea is if server gets up and running and put back into service as soon as possible everybody will be happy. The server is only used to back up PCs.
I believe that server restore is the last thing i want to do, but now i believe if a recovery is this difficult to achieve now, what about next time there is problems. So that is why I am set on a successful server restore so I can start over again fresh.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:39 pm 

solved by installing a fresh windows xp sp3 on a machine with out any thing else on it, (no multi boot), installed operating system, made no changes and tried server recovery first thing. i am about 10 minutes into the rebuilding server process.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:00 am 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for sharing your solution, would be nice to know what application or configuration caused the problem on the old XP install.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:07 am 

when i actually get everything back up and running smoothly i plan to do some experimenting to see if i can identify the problem, it will come in handy if ever i need to recover again in the future. i will post any findings back here.
thanks for all the valuable information available on this site.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:14 pm 

Hello,

I'm spending 3rd night in a row to find a solution to my situation and came across your posts/situation which is quite similar to mine.

Did you manage to check what configuration caused the problem?

In a short my situation looks like that: some days ago my WHS EX470 (at that time soft version 1) has updated with (I guess) some serious patch as one of its lights turned red and my connector icon prompted me to update my connector software. I clicked it to update but it did not work, as I remembered similar situation some time ago I decided to go directly to Software folder on server and install from over there. It looked fine till the very last moment of installation, I hit 'finish' and got the error saying that Connector Software has encountered a problem and needs to close and then information that installation was not successful and need to try again. Tried again with same results (with/without firewall/security; direct connection to server; etc). No results. As got discs with soft version 3 tried to to server recovery from recovery disc it did not even start as I got exactly same error - WHS recovery has encountered an error and needs to close.

That all happened on machine with XP system.

As was crazy about having it work again tried to do recovery from other machine (with 7 Pro) and it worked straight away. So I did the recovery and updated Server to version 3. It is accessible from machine with Win 7 but one with XP still is not able to do the software update and have no access to the server from the XP one which is more important to me than all others.

Any ideas how to fix it??? Would appreciate any help as can't think of anything else. Thanks in advance!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:22 am 

I will have to go over my notes, but I believe that adding the server to the host file on XP made a difference. You did completely uninstall the client software on the XP before retrying? Can you ping by name and by IP?
I eventually tossed the HP media server and built another from a retired PC and have been running smoothly since.
I will try to get back here this evening.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:40 am 

Hey,

it is for sure problem with my XP client. I can remove all HP components from its system but can't run WHS recovery at all from it - I got the mentioned above error before 1st screen. Also can't finish connector software installation (at discovery stage) as I get the same error.

Have tried to to recovery from a friends client (with Win 7 Pro on board) and it worked smoothly (no problems with system errors or discovery). I have managed to recover my server using Win7 client. Problem is that the one with XP is not only mine but it is the most important one in the home network (before all that started it was the only one managing server) and I need to have it working with WHS on daily basis as all my documents are stored on WHS and accessed from the XP client for work purposes.

Another observed issue is that when I'm trying to install updates via console (from Win7 client) it freezes all the time or works extremely slow.
WHS is upgraded to 2GB RAM (and it has been upgraded straight after purchase still when it was running on soft version 1).

Mroov

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:53 pm 

found the hard drive and booted my test OS, XP pro SP3. it was a fresh install with no changes made. windows firewall is on, security center is on, and i created an entry in the host file for the home server. have you tried using I Explorer to install the client? (http://servername:55000), i can't think of any thing else that i did different. my problem ended up being intermittent hardware issues on the server making too unreliable so i tossed it and started over on an old retired workstation. hope this helps.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:31 am 

Well,

I'm using Firefox for browsing not IE if that is what you are asking.

For Software Connector i tried to install from both CD and directly from the server before upgrading to soft v.3 and before while being on soft v.1.

After your suggestion I went to http://servername:55000/, downloaded software then it downloaded software from my server.
Installation process went smoothly, it joined the server, configured backup but then went to the screen saying that installation was succesfull and I hit finish button and ... got the same error again ](*,) (PrintScreen attached).

Clicking on debug or close has same effect - installation saying that it did not finish and have to try again which is bringing same effect.

Attachments:
whs error.JPG
whs error.JPG [ 170.39 KiB | Viewed 8320 times ]
Thanks