It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: iTunes 10 on WHS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 am 

Hi all, Will try to make this as simple as possible.

I have a HP EX490, Apple TV (Gen2), iPhone.

The Goal: Stream content (music and video) from my WHS to the Apple TV and control it via Apple's "Remote" app on a iOS Device (iphone, ipad etc)

Why: To stream content over the new gen2 Apple TV the content MUST come from iTunes using "iTunes Home Sharing" otherwise the Apple TV cannot see any content on the WHS. Therefore the WHS needs iTunes installed. Once installed I can add media to iTunes via RDC and then the Apple TV can stream the entire iTunes Library to my TV/Stereo, And I will be able to control it via "Remote" on a iOS device. Sounds simple right?

The Problem: iTunes was not designed to run on WHS, or any Windows Server edition. The latest iTunes 10 does install on WHS with a couple error messages during install. iTunes will also run on WHS, stream content and my iOS device does work as a remote. BUT the issue is iTunes wont automatically start when windows starts, You can set iTunes to autostart using schedule task, or adding it to the startup folder, But this only runs when you logon to WHS via RDC, only then will iTunes start. The other issue is if you were some how able to get iTunes to auto start without the need to login via RDC you will still need to login via RDC as every time iTunes starts it check's your audio hardware, the EX490 has none! therefore when iTunes starts you will get the error message "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration" you must click OK to allow iTunes to start. The goal is to get iTunes to start-up by itself when the server is powered on without the need for any input from the user. * i Also need to find a way to disable iTuneshelper and ipodservice services from starting as they cause errors, I have tried with no success.

The Solution: Well i don't have one, i am hoping someone does!? I have tried a program that sets iTunes to operate as a windows service, it works but it doesn't load the iTunes GUI which seems to be required for the actual iTunes streaming to work. Any input from fellow forum users will be much appreciated!! :cheers:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: iTunes 10 on WHS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

firefuze wrote:
BUT the issue is iTunes wont automatically start when windows starts

Yes, that is correct. The operative word here is workaround, and your post mentioned the one I use.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:43 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

have you tried Jtunes? wegotserved has a article up about it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:23 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I have. It seems to work about as well as manually configuring iTunes as a service via srvany.exe; i.e.: not at all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:21 am 

Thanks for the replies.

After working into the early hours of the morning with assistance from caffeine, I finally managed to get all the issues solved! :banana:

Sorry for the huuugge post, but I wanted to make it as simple and n00b proof as possible so everyone can use it, there is very little to no complete information on the internet on how to do this form start to beginning (at least not that I could find) Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

So Here Goes!....

Note: When I refer to login via RDC, I am talking about using Microsoft RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) Program
and when I mention login i refer to logging in as "Administrator" via Console, and by Console I mean, when connecting via RDC enter your server IP address as (your ip/server name) /console Example: 192.168.1.4 /console OR HPSERVER /console. (For MAC and Possibly Win XP users only)

for Windows Vista & Windows 7 users use /admin instead of /console.

Step 1: Remove iTunes

Remove any install of iTunes form the server by logging in using RDC (Remember: Administrator, servername /console or /admin), After iTunes uninstall, go to Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel and also uninstall the following:

"Apple Application Support", "Bonjour", " Apple Software Update" and "QuickTime" (don't worry if some are not there to uninstall)

Now restart the server.

Step 2: iTunes Service Errors

Dial back into the server using RDC, Download the latest version of iTunes installer (32bit) from Apple, Run the installer, when the installer gets to "running services" it will hang for a bit then a error message will pop up regarding "ipodservice failed to start", Click IGNORE and the iTunes install will complete.

After install has completed you may get several windows error messages regarding "iPodservice 32bit" and, or "iTunesHelper" simply keep clicking "Don't Send" until the messages stop appearing.

Now disable iTunesHelper and the iPodService. Do this by:

iPodService:
Start > Run > type msconfig > Services Tab > Uncheck iPodService.
iTunesHelper:
Startup Tab > Uncheck iTunesHelper (you should also uncheck "Logon Warning" also to stop the annoying popup warning every time you login using RDC)

Apply Changes, Click Restart LATER.

Step 3: Add iTunes to the DEP list

Now you need to add iTunes components to the DEP exempt list. Do this by:

While in your server desktop using RDC,

Right click "My Computer" > Properties > Advanced Tab > Under Performance section click Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab >Ensure "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" is selected > Click ADD > Add "iTunes.exe", "iTunesHelper.exe", "iPodService.exe", "iTunesPhotoProcessor.exe"

you will find iTunes.exe, iTunesHelper.exe and iTunesPhotoProcessor.exe at C:/Program Files/iTunes/ (default location)

you will find iPodService.exe at C:/Program Files/iPod/bin/ (default location)

Restart the Server.

You may think why not just select "Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only" I thought the same but I can ensure you, you will run into issues if you do this!

Step 4: Audio Configuration Error

Login in using RDC, you should hopefully not see any iTunes/iPod related error messages when logging into Windows. If you do check your DEP list to ensure all of the above are on there, OR you could try disabling Windows Error Reporting:

Right click "My Computer" > Properties > Advanced Tab > Error Reporting > Disable Error Reporting.

Launch iTunes, You will notice you get a " iTunes had detected a Audio Configuration Error" Click OK, iTunes will launch. Close iTunes

this happens because the server has no Audio Hardware, You need to install a "virtual audio cable" Download the following free program:

http://www.softpile.com/Multimedia/Audi ... index.html (this is the virtual audio cable)

Now disconnect from the Server by closing RDC connection

Now for this to work you must change a setting in the RDC program: Sound output MUST be selected to: "from the windows based computer only" (RDC for Mac) or "leave at remote computer" (Windows RDC) you need to do this for the Virtual Audio Cable to install correctly on the server. Log back in using RDC and run the Virtual Audio Cable setup file. Now start iTunes, you should not see any Audio configuration error messages.

If you do,

close iTunes, go to: Start > Control Panel > Quick Time > Audio Tab > Select "Direct Sound" > Apply settings and close > Try iTunes again.

If you still have a issue make sure you changed the sound option in RDC correctly or try a restart of the server.

This should now mean iTunes can start without any user input.

You should also add your iOS remote device now if you are going to be using one.

Step 5: iTunes auto launch on startup

Now that iTunes is free of errors, we need to make it auto start up when your server starts without needing to login into your server via RDC every time to start iTunes.

Simply add iTunes to the Start up folder, by either dragging the desktop shortcut to the start menu > all programs > and drop it into the startup folder OR place the iTunes shortcut into C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

Now to make the Administrator console login automatically on Windows start up, To do this you need to edit the registry of windows, Don't be afraid its simple and easy!

Start > Run > type regedit.exe > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT >CurrentVersion > Winlogon

Double-click the DefaultUserName entry, type Administrator, and then click OK.
Double-click the DefaultPassword entry, type your password, and then click OK.

NOTE: If the DefaultPassword value does not exist, it must be added. To add the value, follow these steps:
On the Edit menu, click New, and then point to String Value.
Type DefaultPassword, and then press ENTER.
Double-click DefaultPassword.
In the Edit String dialog, type your password and then click OK.

Now Double-click AutoAdminLogon entry
In the Edit String dialog box, type 1 and then click OK. (delete the zero (0) if there is one)
Quit Registry Editor.

As a nice touch (you don't have to do this)but if your like me, when logging in using RDC you see iTunes open, really you want it to startup minimized to the tray right? Yes! Do so by downloading and installing iTunes Control onto your server, its a free program.

You can get iTunes Control form here:

http://itunescontrol.com/download.php

Once installed, open iTunesControl > Startup & Shutdown > Select Minimize iTunes on Startup > Apply setting and close.
Also in iTunes go to: Edit > Preferences >Advanced > Select "Show iTunes icon in system tray" and also select "Minimize iTunes window to system tray"

Your Done! if you restart the server it should automatically launch iTunes without ANY user input, easy way to check is by using a iOS device remote app to see if it connects after a server restart. or by using your apple tv to confirm iTunes is running. If you are streaming to a AirPort Express make sure it is selected as the speaker output from iTunes or via Remote App.

If you are running into further trouble disable Twonky (stop sharing button) from the HP MediaCenter Console program as it may cause issues with iTunes

Enjoy! :banana:

Hayden.

Last edited by firefuze on Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank firefuze for this post
Cliff, yakuza
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm 

Hi firefuze,

first - thanks a lot for such a good manual! I am searching since a few weeks to fix the problem.
Now I am currently close to finish it but have a problem with step 4: Audio Configuration Error

I set the sound output in the remotedesktop to "leave at remote computer" and after that I install the virtual audio cable. Then I start iTunes but get the message "iTunes had detected a Audio Configuration Error" again.
Then I set the settings (as described) Start > Control Panel > Quick Time > Audio Tab > Select "Direct Sound" > Apply settings and close and try iTunes gain -> The same message pop up again.
If I set it to "direct Sound", close the window and go again to the Audio Tab, the settings would be changed!!!

What can I do now? Can you help me?

Please consider: My english is not so good - I'm from germany!
Thanks and regards
chukp

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:06 pm 

Hallo chukp,

I had the issue you mention, the audio setting kept changing back.

After setting RDC to leave sound at remote PC only, everything worked OK.

I can only suggest :
you reconfirm your RDC setting for sound,
ensure your logging in using ipaddress /console and logging in as Administrator
Make sure the Virtual Audio Cable driver is installed correctly by going to: Control Panel > Sound & Audio Devices > Hardware tab > you should see Virtual Audio Cable listed, if not reinstall the driver again and restart server

You can check against the below screen shots if they are of any help

Let me know how you get on

Hayden

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank firefuze for this post
mikepro
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:21 pm 

Sorry, depending on what version of Windows you are running, instead of using /console to login as i have mentioned (works with Mac, and Windows XP) you instead need to use /Admin
Been a Mac user i wasnt aware there was a different / switch for Windows. I will edit my above post to reflect.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:51 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

chukp wrote:
first - thanks a lot for such a good manual! I am searching since a few weeks to fix the problem.
Now I am currently close to finish it but have a problem with step 4: Audio Configuration Error

That was indeed an interesting solution. Kind of invasive, and I tend to be gun shy about making those sorts of changes just because I don't want to deal with maintaining them down the road. I tried to implement it just for the sake of confirming the solution, but I too experienced some errors early on in the configuration process. Too bad the post was deleted.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:43 am 

Hi,

I am not sure if I understand you right?

Yes I logged in via Administrator account - so I get full rights!

I checked that the audio cable was installed correctly - Yes it would be installed, I can see the entry in the hardware manager like your screenshot.
The Audio Cable Control Panel looks like yours, so I think everything is configured and installed right!

I am using Win7 at localhost. I didn't get a message while I am installing the Audio Cable so I think it is ompatible...

Further ideas? ....and many thanks from Germany
chukp

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 pm 

Now I have a solution! :banana:

The problem was, that the settings for the RDC for Win7 are probably not the same like for Win XP.
I had to install Ultra VNC to be able to install the virtual audio driver! (via Teamviewer it didn't work!)

After that I could continue with step 5...

Is it normal that we have now access to ONE iTunes library with two or more different devices??? Great!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks from germany
chukp

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:59 pm 

Hi - I've been digging through forums to try to find a solution to my challenges with iTunes on my WHS. Based on what I can discern from the various posts, the issue I have with iTunes not playing seems to be related to the 'audio configuration' error addressed in Step 4, above.

I have installed the virtual audio cable, changed my RDC settings (via Win7's client) and still get the error after reboots, etc.. When I go to change the settings in Quicktime as described, they are accepted when I hit "apply", but change back.

I notice chukp figured it out by using a 3rd party RDC, but but I'm not sure how that's helpful.

Either way, the error keeps showing up, I clear it and iTunes loads. I select a song, hit play, and nothing happens. No messages, no movement... no action whatsoever.

This is the sticking point for me that keeps me from being able to use iTunes on my WHS to serve up content. Any assistance / insight is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:12 pm 

Well, I feel like a total idiot. Just bought a WHS, and I was like "Yes," do the iTunes download shuffle and get the most out of my AppleTV thanks to that awesome user manual that was posted. Got some wine and sat down tonight to figure it out, and I can download nothing from my admin account on my WHS. I tried resetting the internet explorer settings to Medium security and nothing, and hp.com told me I cannot download applications to my WHS, which I don't believe. As a new WHS user, will someone help me get started? I'm familiar with networking and computers, so if I could just download freely I think I'd hopefully be set.

SC :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:48 am 
Founder
Founder

You are using Remote Desktop to access the server, and then trying to browse the internet? I'd strongly suggest against doing that, instead, download the installers to your PC and copy them onto the server. The server is meant to be locked down for security and as such it's a pain to browse the web and download content directly on the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:17 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I wanted to revisit this post now that the content has apparently stabilized. It contains a lot of useful information that needed independent confirmation. Consider it confirmed. It also contains some unnecessary complication.

I began with a working iTunes install (v10.1), save for the audio errors thrown up when iTunes loads. I installed the virtual cable utility linked to above and restarted my server. I connected to the server and started iTunes to confirm that virtual cable had corrected the conditions causing the audio errors and it had.

I decided to make sure that virtual cable would continue to work with subsequent installs and uninstalled iTunes from my server. I ran a registry cleaner (ccleaner) until the registry came up clean. Then I restarted the server so that further changes would be made in a clean environment.

After the server restarted I reinstalled iTunes 10.1. I did not make any modifications to the install program. The installation program threw up a dialog indicating that mobile support was not supported by this version of Windows which I dismissed. The installation program then completed without further error. I did not made any of the changes discussed in steps 2 and 3. I ran iTunes to confirm it would start without throwing any load-time errors, and it did. I restarted the server again to ensure any further testing would be performed in a clean environment.

My personal preference is to use the Windows Task Scheduler to cause programs to run. I created an entry for iTunes, specified that it should run on log on, and provided the Administrator credentials for the local administrator account. I also made the registry entries described above to cause the Administrator account to log on automatically on start up. I restarted the server one more time for a final test.

Before connecting to the server I wanted to confirm that iTunes had been successfully started on the server. The iTunes library hosted by the server is shared, so I launched a local copy of iTunes, connected to the shared library, and confirmed I could browse it. I also confirmed that my Apple TV could connect to the iTunes instance on the server and consume the library content, and it could. I then connected to the Administrator console session as decribed above and confirmed that the iTunes client had been successfully launched and that I could access it interactively.

I don't need my iTunes client to mimic the appearance of a service, so I did not install iTunes control.

So...it works! Thanks Hayden :whs:

I'll agree with Alex on downloading stuff. Windows Server appropriately keep the security level high. I download what I need from a client and copy it to a share on the server. I created a User folder on the Software share where I keep copies of utilities and drivers that I download for the WHS and any other computers that might need them.

Edit: I have the Twonky and Firefly services set to manual startup on my server and they are not started by default. They are not needed in my use of the server. I have not tested them to see if they conflict with the iTunes client on my server.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Cliff for this post
yakuza