It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: iTunes 10 on WHS
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:47 am 

Would I be right in assuming the following after getting iTunes installed on my WHS....

1) I can point my Sonos to the WHS music folder and still get the iTunes playlists from the WHS version of iTunes?
2) Do I sync my iPhone to the regular PC or to the WHS?
3) Can I sync iPhone to the WHS?

What are the benifits and advantages of installing iTunes on the WHS!
Excuse the numpty questions but I too am a newbie to WHS :)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:43 am 

Thanks for this good tutorial! Works so far... only have to set the automatic log-on and i'm done.

I could not get the Virtual Audio Cable working somehow... tried everything, but with no succes.
Then I thought: the problem is you have no soundcard? You get a soundcard!

So i sticked one of these cheap usb soundcards (search on ebay for just some 2-3 euro) in the USB connector of my Acer EasyStoreH340. It's plugnplay, so after that iTunes starts without warnings.

Gr
Pieter

UPDATE:
After making letting WHS logon automaticly and starting iTunes.... it works fine! Remote iTunes with my iPhone and stream to my Airport Airplayer-speakers. Nice!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:07 pm 

?? I am new to the WHS. I just got my server a few days ago runing v1. I have followed the instructions but cannot get the audio card error to go away when I RDA. However, since my motherboard has graphics card, I have access the server directly. When I do this Itune runs with now problems and the quicktime is set properly. However, when I do RDA I keep getting the error and also can't change the quicktime setting. When I do the RDA I make sure that I have logged off acessing the server locally.

Any ideas.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:54 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Quick query...another big thank you for the instructions on page 1 of thread. Currently at Step 4, but had to take a break...

But a question. Installed the latest version of iTunes on mt HP MSS ex495 yesterday. I was expecting a pile of warnings and such to pop up and received very very few. Maybe one.

Is the latest version of iTunes (can't recall the version, Mac version is 10.2.2) more WHS friendly than earlier versions?

Also, I understand iTunes 10 breaks Firefly (it did on my Mac anyways). Stioll the case? Twonky still work? I have a couple of Roku Soundbridges on my home network and they can feed off iTunes or Firefly, even Twonky for that matter, so I am not too uptight about it.

With the new version, will I still need the software audio cable?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:44 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I also installed the latest XP version on my EX490. worked. Only issue was that it said it could not add Mobile Support because it was not XP Service Pack 2 or higher. Understandable. I tried to modify the MobileApp.msi to run as XP, but the option doesn't exist.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Update...nope...need to deal with the audio issue....and can't get rid of the audio issue pop up....

Cleaning directories like crazy...ugh....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:42 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

dufferdan wrote:
With the new version, will I still need the software audio cable?

Yes.

There is no reason to run Firefly if you have a full iTunes client running on your server. Twonky and iTunes should be able to coexist with each other, but I don't need Twonky in my environment and have disabled it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:55 pm 

Sorry to revive an old thread but...Has anyone made progress on the issue with the quicktime settings for "play audio using" direct sound? I'm having the issue others have mentioned where the setting will always change back to "safe mode" when i choose "direct sound." I installed itunes 10.2 using the directions above, checking the proper install of the virtual audio cable as the whs administrator. Itunes installes and works, after clicking the audio error.

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:03 pm 

I'm also sorry to revive this old thread but I've followed the instructions here to the letter using my Win 7 home premium lappy (and RDP'ing into the home server using "mstsc.exe /v:<SERVERNAME> /admin" from the command promt for terminal services access to server).

I still have the audio error even though I've installed the audio drover. Like the poster above, the quicktime settings always change back to "safe mode" when I choose "Direct Sound".

I did install iTunes 10.4 though.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:48 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Pieter77 wrote:
So i sticked one of these cheap usb soundcards (search on ebay for just some 2-3 euro) in the USB connector of my Acer EasyStoreH340. It's plugnplay, so after that iTunes starts without warnings.

I can't get WHS 2011 to see my USB audio device as an output device. To say nothing of Virtual Cable. This is driving me nuts. (And yes, I've got sound to "play on remote computer" turned on.)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:42 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

[Edit: No, it'd not quite working. Silly iTunes errors when autolaunched without a display attached as it can't detect the screen resolution.]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:04 pm 

Took me a couple of attempts, until I read the part about login on to RDC with the /Admin contro properly, then works like a dream, Bob's Yer Uncle, and all that.
MSS is currently processing a folder of over 25000 songs. :sanjuan:

Now just got to borrow and Apple TV off a friend to check streaming to it.

The iPhone Remote app works with the MSS iTunes library, but it's very quiet, for some reason #-o - That'll be the lack of sound card then...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:22 pm 

if you're looking to run iTunes on WHS then I recommend having a look at iHomeServer which allows you to run iTunes as a service. It gets over a lot of the problems that have been discussed in this thread. For example, as it runs iTunes as a service you don't need to get your WHS box to auto-login - it just starts iTunes up whenever the computer boots (and monitors iTunes in case it crashes, restarting it).

It also gets around the problems of the annoying popups box that Apple seem to love so much that prevents iTunes from starting properly on servers. It monitors the iTunes process and whenever a popup box gets displayed, it automatically dismisses it so that iTunes can run - therefore it can run in a server without a sound card or monitor without having to put a virtual sound card in or mess around with iTunes too much.

The other nice thing that I found it does is that it automatically scans my media folders for new media or changes to metadata. Therefore, I don't keep having to open up iTunes to add new content - it finds all the media in my watch folders and keeps iTunes up to date with it.

I can't post links, but you can download a trial from http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer_ ... .aspx......

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:10 am 

Cliff,

When you say "have the Twonky and Firefly services set to manual startup on my server and they are not started by default", how do you do this. I have tried but want to make sure I have it right.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:54 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Heidi-001 wrote:
Cliff,

When you say "have the Twonky and Firefly services set to manual startup on my server and they are not started by default", how do you do this. I have tried but want to make sure I have it right.

Thanks

Run the Services application from the Administration menu and set the start-up type for each service to manual via the properties dialog for that service. Then stop the service by right-clicking and selecting stop from the context menu.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next