It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:25 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Good afternoon boys and girls.

I haven't run my MSS too much in the last six months, but this past weekend i had been backing up more of my blu-ray library to it in preparation of a Dune purchase (as well as a TR5M eSate enclosure with some more 2TB drives).

On Monday when I got home from work I noticed my MSS was off for some reason. When I power it on the health light blinks Blue and none of the drive lights light up. I'm unable to log in under console or remote desktop. Looking at previous threads I tried removing all but the OS drive, then I tried removing all drives to reset, but none of these have fixed the issue. I attempted a recovery but i'm unable to get the health light to start blinking violet when I hit the reset button to start the process. Any suggestions?

I suppose ill just have a wait a few weeks before I can buy some new drives and reload everything on the system drive. If that does fix the problem would there be an issue with trying to put the OLD OS drive in the T5RM enclosure to attempt to get any music/movies that are on it? Unfortunately the folders are not backed up (part of the reason I haven't been running it much) I have probably 6.5 TB of FLAC audio & Blu-Rays and was waiting for the other enclosure and drives to enable folder duplication.

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:15 pm 

I would pull out the system drive and install it in another computer or connect it to another computer via external enclosure or Docking station and run CHKDSK /r on that drive to see if it might be able to fix any issues the drive may have which could be caused by say a power failure while the drive was performing a write operation and ended up getting corrupted.

Let me know how you make out.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:22 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Okay so I bought a dock and plugged my system drive in it today. A complete chkdsk showed a few errors (which it corrected). After this I was able to do a system recovery (with only the system drive in the MSS). The MSS rebooted fine and all lights were good to go (pulsing blue). When I attempted to install the connector software on my PC it would get to where it's installing updates. It would go 2-58% and error out, I would hit retry, it would get a little farther & error again, finally it almost gets done but always errors when it's configuring backup (about 90%). At this point my lights change from all solid blue blue blue to blue blue red. At this point my option is to start over again with the recovery (which I did with the same results). My system drive is a WD 2.0 EADS Green drive which is 10 months old.

Is it possible to format the System Partition and reinstall the OS without losing the information on the Data Partition? Or at the very least is there a way to Copy the Data partition to the new drive so I don't lose anything? If I have to re-rip whatever blu-rays where stored on that drive it'll suck, but i'll do it. However to lose to lose my entire music library is unacceptable as I ripped over 1000 CD's in FLAC and sold them when I moved.

When I looked at the Data portion the way it's setup is it shows basically all of my movies & music folders but I know all of it can't be on one drive it's just how WHS spreads data around. The index of which i'm sure is on the system partition and would be lost during a restore? Could that be backed up so a new drive is a mirror?

Any suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:00 am 

hey i'm having this same issue and was wondering if you resolved yours, and how you went about it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:05 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

the connector software has nothing to do with the RUNNING of the MSS. if you are up and running you can just RDP log on from your desk top and work on the MSS. then hook up your external backup, then off load every thing. I would continue to reinstall the system and maybe run it from safemode. turn off all firewalls as well. if you get you MSS going then you should be able to work on it from you direct Network link. you could try and install the connector on another computer just in case its a software glitch. let us know.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:08 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Please review this link. It should answer your problems.
viewtopic.php?t=7417

Thanks