It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: System Drive Missing?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:13 am 

I restarted my ex485 after clearing off a virus that had somehow made its way on there. When it started back up, I got the "Network Critical" warning. It lists a number of "There are file conflicts" and another that says "Storage Status:[seagate hard drive] has failed". When I go to Server Storage, I see the Seagate drive (Bay 1) listed as missing. However, the WHS console seems just fine and it seems I can still remote-desktop in with no issues.

If the system drive were actually dead, would I be able to still run like this? I'm a little confused.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:13 am 
Founder
Founder

Some screenshots and a full description of what happened including all steps you did to repair it may help us troubleshoot.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:59 pm 

I have uTorrent installed on my MediaSmart server. I remote-desktop'd to download a torrent and went away. When I came back, I had some popups on the server (I was still remote-desktop'd) from a "Antimalware Doctor" saying that I had viruses and needed to clean them. Of course, that program itself was the virus (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-r ... are-doctor).

I used tasklist and taskkill to remotely kill the process running the virus. I then tried to update MalwareBytes so I could clean the virus, but I got an error trying to update it (MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12007, 0, WinHttpSendRequest)). I couldn't figure that out, so I removed MalwareBytes, used Autoruns to manually disable the executables that the virus had added, and restarted the server. I did not notice if the "Drive missing" message came up at this time since I was focused on this virus. I then installed the latest MalwareBytes (downloaded on my main PC) and ran it. I attached the log file showing what it removed.

MalwareBytes asked for a reboot when it finished, which I did. When the server came back up, I noticed the red status light on the server and the "Your home server health is critical" message from the console on my main PC. This was on the console:

This is what my drive shares look like:

The drive that is listed as missing is the Seagate system drive that came installed. However, I don't understand how that can be "missing" if the server starts up and appears to be running. I can remote-desktop and browse all the data on the C: drive there. Are the server files mirrored to one of the other drives somehow?

At this point, I'm just trying to decide if the virus just screwed up something on the server that causes WHS to think the drive is missing or if the drive is actually dead. Is there any other information I can provide that would help?

Attachments:
File comment: MalwareBytes Log
mb log.txt [8.3 KiB]
Downloaded 438 times
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:45 pm 
Founder
Founder

Unfortunately it's rarely a simple fix in this situation, you can do some searches on "missing system drive" and "calculating sizes" to see what others have done. I'm suspecting it's most likely that you'll want to back up all your data off the drives and do a Factory Reset, though you can try a Server Recovery first.

One last idea might be to check the registry keys as described towards the end of this article, if you're feeling up to it.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... tem-drive/

Thanks