It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:20 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Below is a posting from TZO that explains most of the details related to TZO DDNS and the MediaSmart Home Server (MSS). Hopefully this will solve many of the questions asked in this forum. If you have a question that is not answered here, please contact TZO Support directly using the information below.

TZO Pricing and HP options
======================
TZO Dynamic DNS services can be found as the default remote access option for HP MediaSmart and MediaVault servers. TZO has a partnership with HP to provide DDNS and related services to users of the HP MediaSmart. TZO DDNS was selected since the MS Live Domain Service (comes free with any Windows Home Server) doesn't provide support and TZO offers much more flexibility with SMTP and Domain/DDNS services such as the HP Custom domains offering - it allows you to get YOURNAME.COM for your server.

Pricing is as follows (all discounted from the normal TZO retail pricing)

- HP Personal Domains - free first year, then $9.99 per year, no additional fees.

- HP Custom Domains - $24.95 per year for the DDNS, If you already have a domain, you can simply point it to the TZO DDNS servers and just pay for the DDNS service ($24.95 per year)

- Domain Registration / Transfer - $14.95 per year for domain name registration or transfer. If you already have a domain, you can simply point it to the TZO DDNS servers and just pay for the DDNS service ($24.95 per
year)

- Whois Privacy - $7.95 for one year, 2 years for $15.90, 3 years for $23.85 and so on. Whois Privacy can help protect your domain name registration details from SPAM,Domain Name scams and Identity theft. When you order WHOIS Privacy, your registration details such as your name, address, phone number and other details are hidden to help protect you.

TZOSupport:
============
TZO Support hours are 9AM-8PM EST Monday through Friday. TZO Offers a helpdesk option for email support tracking, and support@tzo.com is routed through the helpdesk by emailing us. If HP customers have a problem, they can call us and speak with a live TZO support rep, typically within seconds of placing the call. This super fast support, along with rock solid reliability and a strong knowledge of the product and it's inner workings are something you will not find with most DDNS providers...that old saying "you get what you pay for". TZO Support can be reached by phone at 978-433-6865 and press "2" for support.

With the SMTP services and photo webshare notifications, this is a free addition to the DDNS services that MS Live and many others will not offer. This is a free service provided along with the HP Personal or Custom domain option.

Webshare Notification issues:
=======================
For those of you that wish not to use the TZO options, SMTP emailing could be trouble and you may not be able to send any webshare notifications. Why you ask? Many ISP's block port 25 OUTBOUND, and some not only do this but also restrict the usage of their SMTP server to email accounts within their domain name, so if you have your own custom domain and wish to setup SMTP delivery, you could be in for trouble. The TZO email notifications require ZERO setup and we send the email(s) for you. Outbound SMTP blocking and restrictions are becoming increasingly popular - all in attempts to control SPAM and Phishing attempts...but if can bite you if you don't realize this.

TZO also provides HTTP relay for relaying to the HTTPS port to secure all connections to your MSS. If you happen to have SSL blocked, the TZO HTTP relay can redirect the SSL connection to any port of your choice. Again, something that other DDNS providers may or may not offer - this is all included with your TZO service when using the HP custom or HP Personal domains

HP PERSONAL DOMAINS:
====================
The domain names are below that you can select from for free for 1 year - these are considered HP PERSONAL DOMAINS. After the first year, this HP Personal Domain can be purchased for $9.99 per year. At the time of writing, there is no "certificate" solution for the HP Personal domains below. If you select a CUSTOM domain name from TZO, you can get your own private SSL certificate

GotoMyHP.com
HPHomeLink.com
HPHomePort.com
HPHomeServer.com
MyHPFamily.com
MyHPHome.com
MyHPOffice.com
HPAtHome.net
HPShare.net
HpMediaSmart.com

Examples of how they are used: You can get a domain name like Yourname.GotoMyHP.com and this would be the domain name you can use to get remote access to your server. This domain name can also be used for other things, so if you got a Linksys camera for example, you can set it up, forward the ports in your router and then use this domain name to connect to your camera as well. For example, the camera would probably be on port 1024 since port 80 is used by the HP Server, and if you wanted to reach the camera on port 1024, you would use http://www.Yourname.GotoMyHP.com:1024

HP CUSTOM DOMAINS:
====================
TZO also offers CUSTOM DOMAINS to users with the HP MediaSmart server. A CUSTOM DOMAIN name allows you to get your own private domain name for your server such as YOURDOMAINNAME.COM or YOURFAMILY.NET, etc
The TZO Custom domain names are not free and there are no free trials for custom domains. You can choose to upgrade your free personal domain name at anytime to a CUSTOM DOMAIN. If you are using the HP Personal domain names and are getting a certificate error, you can solve this by selecting a CUSTOM DOMAIN and ordering your own SSL certificate for your private domain name.

TZO offers custom domains for $25.95 per year, and also offers domain name registration at a rate of $14.95 per year.

Examples of how custom domains are used: You can get a domain name like YourFamily.com and this would be the domain name you can use to get remote access to your server. This domain name can also be used for other things, so if you got a Linksys camera for example, you can set it up, forward the ports in your router and then use this domain name to connect to your camera as well. For example, the camera would probably be on port 1024 since port 80 is used by the HP Server, and if you wanted to reach the camera on port 1024, you would use http://www.YourFamily.com:1024

USING YOUR HP PERSONAL OR CUSTOM DOMAIN FOR OTHER THINGS:
=================================================
Once the HP Personal or HP Custom domain names are setup they can be used for anything else too....not just the HP Home server as shown in the example above. You just need to setup the router, IP's and ports for the devices you wish to have remote access to. When using your domain name to remotely connect to other devices, use the "www" subdomain name. You should also use the "www" subdomain name when PINGING the domain. If you do not use the "www" subdomain, you'll get a different IP address - this IP is one of the TZO Web Relay servers used to redirect all requests (other than www) to the secure port set on the server - typcially port 443

TOP HP MSS QUESTIONS FOR TZO SUPPORT:
==================================
1) SSL Certificate issue, How to get one, Why it comes up, how to get rid of it (See http://www.MyHomeServer.com under tutorials)

2) TZO Pricing, pricing structure for HP customers (answers above)

3) Using Remote Desktop to control the Mediasmart (use the "www" subdomain - see TZO HP MediaSmart Tutorial at http://www.tzo.com under support, tutorials)

4) Pinging the domain name of the Mediasmart I get the wrong IP (web relay - ping the www subdomain - see TZO HP MediaSmart Tutorial at http://www.tzo.com under support, tutorials)

5) Remote access is not working, ISP blocks port 80 and 443 (See http://www.MyHomeServer.com under tutorials)

6) Help, I can't seem to login to the webshare (see http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... ct=3548165)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 am 
Founder
Founder

Great info that's been asked several times around here, so making it sticky. Thanks TZO! We'll get this merged to the Wiki shortly.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:03 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

hint taken :lol:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hah, actually I'm encouraging Eric at TZO to sign up and add it to the Wiki, he's backed up on another project at the moment but promised to do so shortly. :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:24 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

lol, I was a little quick off the mark then, Eric can modify to suit (and maybe add some references). Least I could do as he's been a great help on here!

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... nformation

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:20 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Any progress with the SSL ticket situation?

Thanks  
 Post subject: SSL
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:10 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Currently there is no resolution to SSL certs for the HP owned domains. Please contact HP for specifics on this. The SSL warnings can be eliminated if you select an MS Live domain or choose to upgrade to a custom domain name as shown in the tutorial on MyHomeServer.com

See this thread for some of the MyHomeServer tutorials
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=311

Thanks  
 Post subject: A question for Eric
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:14 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the post. Based on your instructions, HP would have to buy the certs for heir shared domains, correct ?

I know that the cert issue isn't really one. The message is just annoying and I believe it would be "great marketing" of your superior service (to MS Live domain) if a deal bewteen HP and you could be worked out.

My guess is - a lot of the public domain users would stay on after the free year and pay the annual fee rather than defecting to the evil empire. But that (I guess) still remains to be seen.

Keep up the good work - your service is excellent !
Cheers,
Lars

Thanks  
 Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:02 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the kind words about our service to all that have posted to these threads. TZO strives to be the best in the business with service and support.

As far as the HP Certs goes, keep checking these forums and the TZO and HP site, as soon as there is any new on this issue, Im sure one or all of the sites will have some information on it immediately

Thanks again for choosing TZO!

Thanks  
 Post subject: Subdomains and TZO
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:03 pm 

I'd like to point a subdomain to my WHS, but not the main domain. Example:

home.mydomain.com -> WHS
www.mydomain.com -> Current site

How can I accomplish this with TZO?

Thanks

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:55 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I do not have the answer but the folks at TZO are fantastic in their support and responsiveness. I would suggest dropping them a note or placing a call...

(Please post the answer when you get it!)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:30 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

pfftt..TZO I have a major complaint my comlaint is that you guys make this too easy to obtain a address this is ridiculous this should be hard. I typed in my address to see if its available and it was how odd on top of that I put in my credit card paid for my address and damn it it was up within like 2 hours whats up with that? How can you guys make it so easy to setup is just ridiculous!!!!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:40 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

They have made it very easy to register a domain. Do we have to register through TZO.com?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:18 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I don't believe so....

You might want to start a thread containing instructions on how to do this with references (links) to the best and/or most affordable places to go to do it. I don't think that is readily available around here and I know others would be interested.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Subdomains and TZO
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

dflkid wrote:
I'd like to point a subdomain to my WHS, but not the main domain. Example:

home.mydomain.com -> WHS
http://www.mydomain.com -> Current site

How can I accomplish this with TZO?

Thanks

I have the same question I guess I will be calling TZO support.

Proud owner of a EX485 with 2 x 1.5 TB drives, 750 GB Drive, and 1 TB Drive

Mixed house of Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X, Apple TV streaming from MediaSmart Server

Thanks