It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:27 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

For my own peace of mind please...

Some months ago one of the three WD10EADS drives failed in my MSS...dead...nothing. :shock:

This was replaced but of course since then I have had the error; "The backup database has errors" and it would appear the only chance I have of resolving this is to run the backup database repair wizard which will probably wipe everything out & start afresh. :cry:

The problem is I have 900GB backed up from a machine I no longer have - I was planning to restore this data onto its replacement that I never quite got around to finish building :oops:

As my main workstation is now starting to play up and I want to reconfigure two RAID arrays each of 2 x 250GB into two non-RAID 1TB single discs I need to ensure that the data backed up off this workstation is intact.

So here lies my dilemna;

1. If I try to backup this PC from my MSS and the backup is not intact (after the drive failure and the repeated warnings that the database has errors) I am in trouble.

2. On the contrary if I run the backup database repair wizard I will probably end up wiping all backed up data and start from scratch - at least I think that's how it works.

Caught between a rock and a hard place... ](*,)

Questions;

1. Is there any way I can salvage/restore/save/access any of the 900GB of data from the machine that I no longer have? There is still a ghosted entry showing in the Console under Computer Backup.

2. If I run the backup database repair wizard will it really nuke all of my backups to date?

3. Do I have any other options?

4. Finally what would be the best way to restore this workstation from the MSS? The mythical restore CD I vaguely remember seeing in a folder somewhere? How do I create this bootable CD and test it to see if it does in fact boot this workstation with the correct drivers etc, logon to the MSS and prepare to backup?

I would appreciate any advice form those that know or have trodden this path before...not a happy place to be in but I guess it could be worse...at least this workstation is hanging together long enough to type this! :wink:

What a day/night I've had so far... :crazy:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:42 pm 
Founder
Founder

Try single file restore to see if the image is even able to be mounted. Database repair will likely lose some or even all of your backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:52 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks for the reply Alex,

Well that probably answers my question then...

Tried to restore a file from a connected PC and after @81% I get a popup saying the Backup service is not running and then another error telling me it cannot mount the backup.

Then the usual 'Backup database is corrupt' popup and/or 'Network Health is critical'.

Tried with a second connected PC and unconnected but current PC with the same result. :(

When I double-click or right-click/ 'View Backups' on the missing PC with 980GB data I don't even get a menu open. :shock:

Guess I have no choice but to run the Backup database repair wizard then?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:01 am 
Founder
Founder

I'm afraid so, Repair is likely your only choice at this point. It's possible the repair won't delete all your backups, hopefully you'll have one left over from the PC you want to restore. This exact scenario is why I created the BDBB Add-In, I have a couple old archived PCs that I have stored in BDBB backups on an external drive in case I need them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

OK Alex...it is done.

Ran the Repair Wizard and when finished all Clients reported Backup Unknown where before they had dates adjacent to their entries in the list.

Double-clicking showed there were no backups left for any PC.

Interestingly before & after the Server storage tab was showing 1.1TB of Backups.

Also after backing up only one PC the total still stands at 1.1TB...

I ended up deleting the entry for the PC that I no longer have as there seemed little point hanging onto as there was no data left.

Thanks for your input as always.

Now all I need to do is figure out the best way to create the Restore Disc including the network & storage drivers and test to see if it boots the PC and logs onto the WHS to try a dummy run if you like?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:35 am 
Founder
Founder

Sorry to hear you lost your backups. The Help files with your server have instructions for using the PC Restore disc, and we have two articles in the Wiki.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... PC_Drivers
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... al_drivers

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks Alex,

I wasn't being lazy...it's just that I remember trying the restore disc before andISTR there was something about one image being out of date or something and when I tried the CD it wouldn't boot or load the required drivers or something?

I'll take a look in the WIKI and give it another go.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks