It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:05 pm 

I've got an HP MediaSmart EX470 (Power Pack 3 with a 2GB memory upgrade) that occasionally reboots whenever my desktop computer starts up. While it's not a major problem--it only happens 3-4 times a month--I am curious as to why the reboot would happen immediately after my desktop machine starts up.

I also have a laptop and a dedicated MediaCenter machine that also access the server, but I have never noticed the server rebooting after they are turned on (but they are also used much less frequently than my desktop machine).

I only have one add-in installed: Disk Management 1.0.9.8. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:45 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

This is a new one on me... Hopefully my comment will bump this up where someone else may have some ideas....

My initial thoughts would be something in the network. Can I ass-u-me that you have NOT made any changes to the BIOS? If you plug your CLIENT into a different router (or switch) port does this behavior continue? If using a switch I'd try the client plugged directly into a (different) router port. Could also try plugging the switch into a different router port.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:48 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

This sounds very similar to an issue I have with one of my 470's. Whenever the router is powered down then back up it will shutdown and restart itself. I have another 470 that exhibits none of the same behavior and is connected to the same router. I have never been able to isolate the cause other than the router reset being the initiator of the server reset. I have been meaning to do a server recovery on it but have been holding off until the HP MSS 3.0 software became available. Have you tried a server recovery?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:14 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Did a server recovery some time ago and I still have a problem with random shutdowns of this server. No consistent timing or day of the week. It does shut itself down every 7 and 10 days. The logs tell me little. Considering a factory reset but that is so time consuming that I have held off. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks