It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: PS3 - no files found
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:28 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Sorry for bringing all my problems here. All of you are just great help.

Now I'm trying to use my PS3 as a MCE. It sees the server just fine, but it says that there are no files in any of the "folders" that it sees. I have already done all of the stuff in most of the PS3 related posts here. I have tried video (only mp4 at this time though and do realize now that WHC doesn't handle those). But I have tried regular audio mp3s as well and they don't appear either. Remote sharing is set to enabled. Thanks in advance for the help. I am going to convert a vid file to another format or also try loading the mediaplayer 11 on the MSS as other tests.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Solved
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:01 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I managed to figure this issue out. It has to do with the weird way of navigating the files in the PS3. I was looking for the mp3 files, for example, under PS3 all music. Now that would make sense, but they are not visible there. I had to look in folders and - ta da - there they are. I suppose that the video file problem is that it is mp4, so i'm going to change to other format.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Solved
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:34 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

rrburton wrote:
I managed to figure this issue out. It has to do with the weird way of navigating the files in the PS3. I was looking for the mp3 files, for example, under PS3 all music. Now that would make sense, but they are not visible there. I had to look in folders and - ta da - there they are. I suppose that the video file problem is that it is mp4, so i'm going to change to other format.

The PS3 should be able to view MP4 in x.264/AVC format. It doesn't yet support MP4 using DivX/xvid codecs although I read it's coming.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

This way works for me with my Mediasmart server streaming to a PS3.

I record my camcorder into a DVD-RAM console recorder, I then put the disk into my DVD-RAM drive on my computer, the largest file I copy to the WHS, change the extension to MPG and rename the file something my wife will recognize, i.e. Christmas 2005.MPG.

The files come up with the title and stream fine, the only problem is the PS3 transport controls don't work. Only start and stop, video format works. I would like all the transport controls to work, or at least ff and rew.

I hope the upcoming PS3 update changes this, although I think it might be a WHS issue.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:35 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I think the problem with the video transport controls working is not with the PS3 but rather the WHS. I found this out after setting up media sharing on an XP home computer with the same video files I was trying to stream (with transport controls) using WMP 11. The files stream fine and all transport controls work. I think the media streaming software on WHS is not updated with the WMP codec's. I hope MS and HP update this in the future.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:33 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I read somewhere (CPU Magazine?) last week that the codecs were available and could be downloaded and installed. Since I am not into video (yet) I did not pay a lot of attention to it but you might try searching around for other information.

QUALIFIER: Since this was not something I was specifically interested in at the time I may be mixing up something here. But still worth looking around unless someone else confirms this is not possible! (If that happens please drop me a PM and I will remove this post.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks