It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:15 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi there,

over the weekend my EX475 died. It appears to be the power supply as pressing the power button does nothing. I checked the fuse and took out the PSU to have a look but nothing is obviously wrong. The server is just under 2 years old. I have emailed the people I bought it off to see if they can repair under warranty. I am hoping they respect EU law which states a warranty is 2 years even though they say they offer a 1 year warranty on their website. Anyway, if I can't get it repaired free I was thinking of my options, but I have a number of questions, I hope someone can clear things up.

1. Replace the PSU. I have seen there is a wiki entry for this, so I guess it should be fairly easy

2. Buy a new server. If I did this can I just plug the drives in from my EX475 and it will work? Would this work on any manufacturer or does it have to be another EX4xx?

3. Pay for it to be repaired. Will HP do this? Any ideas on how I go about this?

under 2 years seems woeful for a lifetime of a server. Do I have any comeback on HP here to get them to repair it for free?

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

CW

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 am 

I do not know anything about EU LAW.

You have already found the Power Supply info in the WIKI so your off to a good start.

If you can find another EX47x MSS then you can just move your hard drives and be back in business.

If you want to try replacing the power supply just follow the instructions you found in the WIKI.

Good Luck

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:19 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Would the drives go into an EX49x or is that more complicated?

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 am 

chunkywizard wrote:
Would the drives go into an EX49x or is that more complicated?

CW

Two options:

1. Put all drives in the new EX49x and perform a server recovery. That will keep the data intact and put down the OS with drivers and HP Software on the system partition. More of an automated process.

2. Manually move the data over. See this article on doing that. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... me-server/

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:46 am 

The EX49x are more difficult but probably not impossible. I would defer this to someone who has already done so. Having said that how much data do you have stored on your EX470 and by any chance did you have the WHS BDBB add-in installed to back up your client data?

On another note I strongely recommend you read the forums regarding the EX49x MSS to better determine if you want to go that route or not. You might also want to think about possibly building your own server. Personally I like the EX47x it servers me well but in my case I am fast out growing it and so I have opted to build my own server but I will still continue to use the EX47x MSS within the home. I have 3 here now, one is used for everything, another for testing things for evaluation and the 3rd is going to be converted to an eSATA Port Multiplier and the components are to be used for spare parts to keep my other EX470's running.

One more thing are you certain the fuse in the Power Supply is in good condition? Here is a pic of that fuse and I do not mean any offense here just want to be certain we are talking about the same fuse.

Attachments:
100_0370.JPG
100_0370.JPG [ 2.64 MiB | Viewed 25550 times ]

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

HP does offer out of warranty repair services look at http://h71028.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/309 ... 5-121.html

I am stateside so that link is probably a North American one, but I'm pretty sure that if you poke around you can find the European one. Or call HP customer service and ask about out of warranty service.

Good luck...I would be pretty freaked out if my 475 died.

Jim

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

Texas-Hansen linked to my article on the manual migration, and here's my guide on using Server Recovery to migrate to the EX49x servers.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:28 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. I didn't have the BDBB add-in installed. I will have a look at the fuse in the PSU as it has been seen to fail. The EX49x would seem to fit the bill. I currently have 2 x500GB drives in the 475 and I guess I was about 70% full. I would look at other WHS solution out there, it's just how to get the data off the drives easily without having the EX475 around any more. Would server recovery work on a different manufacturers WHS?

Anyway, lots to think about. Hopefully I won't have to consider any of this if my retailer honours the 2 year EU warranty.

Cheers

CW

p.s. If the worst comes to the worst I have a backup of all the data less than 2 weeks old on a separate 1TB drive which I could use to copy across to a new WHS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:20 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Just an update. My reseller didn't honour the 2 year warranty, they said it was an advisement and not law. So I either have to get it repaired or replace the PSU myself. I have logged an enquiry on the HP website about Out of Warranty repairs but I am still awaiting an answer. I opened up the PSU and there is no fuse in mine! It doesn't look the same as the photo posted. I took a (bad) picture via my cellphone, which I'll upload if I get a chance. Now I just have to check costs in the UK and then see if I can borrow the tools to rewire the connector (or go with HP OOW if they are reasonably priced).

My PSU is marked as per the wiki Model:U200EF3 Rev:01

Cheers

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:14 am 

My powersupply has the same markings as yours but the full model is HP-U200EF3 LF REV: 01. There may be still a fuse there but it may be a PICO fuse which looks very similar to a resister. Anyway when you upload your picture I will be happy to look at it and let you know.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:09 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Another update. Just spoke to 'UK' customer support for MSS (I think it was routed to the US based on the guys accent). They tell me there is no OOW repair service in the UK, unbelievable. I asked him what I was meant to do with my non-working MSS and he advised me to buy an equivalent PSU and fit it myself! This really does make me wonder if I should buy HP again, it's really bad customer service.

So, if I didn't buy another MSS what other WHS's would anyone recommend?

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:17 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

(1) Take a po\icture of the same part of that board and see if there is a fuse there. If there is maybe it can be replaced and that will resolve it.

(2) Replace the power supply

Some of my rough notes on the latter (unedited -- there may be duplicates here):

Power Supply Replacement links:
WIKI: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Power_Supply
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2251&start=0

---------------

Power Supply Replacements:
Hipro, model number HP-U200EF3 LF Rev: 01 --or-- from HP as p/n FSP200-50PLA
Shuttle FSP200-50PLA2 (Rewire Plug)
Sparkle FSP200-50PL-B (Rewire plug)

WIKI Article:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Power_Supply

Pin-out Assignments
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16221#p16221

---------------------

Replacement Power Supply (ERRONEOUSLY posted as plug compatible - no modifications required)
Product Number FSP200-50PLA2
Manufacturer Shuttle

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:29 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi John,

I have a photo, but I doubt it will be of much use. My PSU is really messy inside, lots of white glup and the area of the board where the fuse is meant to be is unviewable. I'll post as soon as I get the photo off my phone.

With regards to replacement PSUs I had a look but to be honest it looks expensive to just try without knowing it will definitely sort my issue. Also I am not sure I would be competent enough to guarantee it works. I did a google of the PSU options and I think I am looking at 60GBP unless I have missed a cheaper option. I would also need to buy the tools to do the work so I could be down 100GBP and it still might not work.

I think maybe a better option is to cut my losses and buy a new WHS. I would be up for selling the EX475 for spares or for someone else to try and change the PSU. If Cougar's reading this, I'll be in Brighton next month, I'll do you a special deal :wink:

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:43 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

here's the photo...

CW

Attachments:
moto_0030.jpg
moto_0030.jpg [ 492 KiB | Viewed 25473 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 pm 

chunkywizard,

The fuse is there its under the YELLOW component. You will need to extract the powersupply circuit board. Just be aware there may still be stored voltages on the powersupply contained within the capacitors but that stored voltage will drain down.

(1) Remove the 4 screws from the fan
(2) Remove the 4 screw from the Powersupply Circuit Board
(3) You will have to cut some of that white stuff away from the yellow component.
(4) Detatch the white plug from the circuit board
(5) Bend the power connection end back a little bit to provide space to extract the circuit board. Notice the fan is fairly large for a 40 mm fan.
(6) Carefully extract the cirucuit board

Once you have the board out you will see the fuse. In your picture the fuse is slightly visible its orange/red in color and its under the YELLOW component. If you flip the board over you will be able to locate the fuse leads and test them with a meter I would not only test the fuse but the connection for the power header to the fuse as well to make sure its in good condition.

If the fuse is bad then hopefully you can find a replacement and that you have the skills to desolder and solder the fuse back on. If you have difficulty obtaining that fuse you can purchase them on Ebay there is only 1 vender left currently selling this fuse in Hong Kong the link is below.

Hong Kong => http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

The vender in the US is not showing that part as being available anymore.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks