It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:56 pm 

Glaps,

There are discussions already in process on how to migrate the data from an older MSS to one of the newer ones. The EX49x MSS is designed differently then the EX47x but there are several threads you should take the time to review regarding data migration and server restoration on the EX49x MSS. Other then that I have nothing to really add to what others have already done since I opted not to upgrade to the EX49x MSS and chose the a DIY Build or as I say a Retrofit of an existing HP Proliant DL145 only for me I am going to move my data from one server to the other keeping and keeping my data on my original EX470.

I ususally post links to help guide people but for some reason I am having abit of difficulty remembering where the Migration and Recovery Threads are posted for the EX49x are but I assure you they are there. I am on the slow side this weekend after having a rather long work week last week and then I am pushing myself to much to get my movie collection copies so I am not quite myself and I apologise for that.

As for that annoying Fuse its driving me crazy. Heres why I send the data sheet to my supplier and tell them which series fuse I want. They bring in the wrong series so now I have to wait for the right series fuse to arrive at which point I will resume working on the Power Supply. Now I do not need nor do I require this particular power supply and I could simply just throw it away and be done with it and save on Advil Tablets. The reason why I want to troubleshoot this power supply is to determine the reason for its failure and figure out corrective action. Unfortunately I am working on many projects so the time frame I have dedicated to the Power Supply has been limited. However next weekend I hope to dedicate my full attention to it and see what I can find. This will not so much help me out because I can afford a replacement but it will help others and thats why I am interested in that power supply and I would love to get my hands on a couple more to see if there is something common in why the EX47x Power Supplies fail.

I am in the process of converting an EX47x Enclosure to become an eSATA Port Multiplier. I am patiently waiting for the price of the CFI-B43PM backplane board but I keep looking at the CFI-B53PM Backplane board and I may just attach that to the EX470 case and provide myself with a 5 drive enclosure but the bottom drive would have to be a fixed drive and the top 4 would use the Trays. An acceptable powersupply mounted where the stock MSS powersupply exists or a converted MSS Powersupply. I do not believe I will use the Drive LEDS as erail did but he used the Motherboard from a display unit to supply the voltage to the LEDS so his looks really cool.

So far I have drilled out the 6 rivets to the back to the EX470 case frame and tapped the holes so I can now use screws you can use 4-40, 6-32 or 8-32 screws and still get the plastic enclosure covers back on. I chose screws on the back so I could easily access the fans and to provide better access to the backplane board for assembly and dissassembly and to help me align the board with drives and to spot the holds in the cage. I was hoping to have a couple 4 port boards here by now but will have to send the vender an email requesting price and availability. When I have completed the project I will be posting pictures of what I have done, why I did it, where to get the components I used and probably offer up some additional suggestions. The thing about this conversion is if your using an EX47x then you will want the CFI-B43PM backplane and if your using say an EX49x you will want to use the CFI-B53PM Backplane and both support Port Multiplier functions. I have a CFI-B53PM Backplane because I am planning on using 6 of them in my build for my new server and wanted to see how they function and I plan on using the Sans Digital Hard Drive Racks in my custom enclosure.

Sorry for getting off topic as I get carried away sometimes. I am excited about the projects I am working on and more so about the enclosure and build assembly I am about to build. It will be a server on wheels and have more expansion room then I figure I will need.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:31 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

chunkywizard wrote:
JohnBick wrote:
2. I would go with the original drives for a short period then add one drive. Select the old Non-System drive and then REMOVE. When done pull that drive and add in the other new one. And then I would STOP, leaving the original System Drive in place.

Hi John,

just so I understand this. You say:

1. start with old system drive
2. then add in old 2nd drive
3. then take out out 2nd drive and replace with new 1TB drive

why do you need stage 2?

CW

YES for 1-2-3.

"Stage 2"??? What is this in reference to?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:20 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi John,

sorry I didn't make myself clear. I was asking why I have to do the 2nd item, ie add in old second drive. My thinking was that since I have duplication on my old EX470 then the system drive should contain all my data so the 2nd drive is redundant so I could just go to number 3, bypassing it. Anyway, it's obviously not the case, I just didn't understand why!

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:54 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

It's a matter of getting the Drive Extender logic to empty the drive to be removed before removing it. Even if all the Shared Folders were duplicated, the Client Backup Database is not and you want to get that moved so you do not loose it.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:59 pm 

Glaps wrote:
Comp1962 wrote:
The fuse in the EX470 is a T5A which has several versions which I found out recently. The series of this fuse should be 382 with it a time delay fuse.

Hi Comp 1962,

The power cord of my EX470 is plugged since more than a year on a lighting protected multi outlets with a 10A fuse.
This 10A external fuse did blow first, and when I “short-circuited” it, the internal T5A did blow. This makes me think that the EX470 inrush current at power on, is usually less than 10A. Then, if you consider the below characteristics of the HK fuse (the link you posted), it should survive at least 2mn under such a current level. Therefore, my main concern is that some other components (from the power supply, or worst, from the motherboard) are responsible for the T5A blowout. That’s why I immediately ordered the EX490 as a replacement unit, but let’s cross fingers (we should be lucky from time to time).

Hi All

After I got the HK fuse (the link posted by Comp 1962 : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT), I replaced it and the new one blew immediately.

As in the meanwhile I bought the EX 490 as a replacement unit, I first consider to convert my old EX470 to an eSATA Port Multiplier in which I can put my extra disks. However, I was very frustrated by the new Photo Viewer application of the EX 490, compared to the old Photo WebShare one. In fact, Photo WebShare was not user friendly (very poor sort capability), but Photo Viewer is even worse (no sorting and loss of multi user acess control), where I was expecting improvements like shooting date&time sorting capability (idealy with multy camera daylight saving time resynchronisation - my dream !).

So I decided to repair my old EX 470 in order to use it as a dedicated photo server, but before to buy a new PS for which I was not sure about the wiring compatibility (supernotebook.com is claiming EX 470 compatibility for FSP200-50PLA2, but I had a doubt), and didn’t want to make a complete rewiring without the required tools, I asked a colleague if he knew somebody capable to repair it. He denied, but just in case, investigated himself my dead PS. Fortunately, he immediatly noticed a short cut of the KBU8J single-phase bridge rectifier (just on the other side of the PS compared to the fuse, but still on the plug side at the opposite of the fan).
I found the Diotec component from this link : http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... BU8J.shtml, and bought two of it for a few bucks.
Then my colleague changed both the bridge and the fuse (I got 10 of it from HK), and the PS started (unloaded) at the first trial (I have now a bridge and some fuses left). Since then, I did mount it in my EX 470, which is working since the last two days without any problem, and have my two servers now on line.
As a result, I think that it’s interesting to spend few bucks for the fuses and a bridge, which are easy to change without to be a solder expert.

Thanks a lot to my colleague, who guess where the problem was coming from !
I hope that this story can help somebody.

Cheers.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Glaps for this post
Phjorttos, yakuza
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:23 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, My HP 475 died this morning and seems as though the power supply has gone. After reading attached going to have a go at replacing the unit with a compatible unit respecting the pinouts need to be modified.

Will let you know how I get on!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:02 pm 

There is a direct replacement PSU that you can purchase. Here is a link which provides information on that PSU below:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/07 ... rt-server/

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
There is a direct replacement PSU that you can purchase. Here is a link which provides information on that PSU below:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/07 ... rt-server/

Thanks for this, ordered one and prompt delivery although as posted elsewhere have a problem still with the server.

However, on cable pin 17 (from memory) was not fitted properly. Cable of its own accord was clean out of the connector to the extent I do not know if it was ever in! However, popped out the pin from the connector with a small screwdriver and paper clip and put it all together again, tested with multi-meter and all seemed OK. Will email them directly but I do not think the server (motherboard) not working is related to this as tested PSU by connecting pins 1 & 2 together and PSU working OK.. But something to look out for.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:58 pm 

Hi trilly,

What additional problems are you seeing?

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:07 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Hi trilly,

What additional problems are you seeing?

Nothing, after connecting everything together, everything is dead, no sign of life in the server at all. I would suspect the PSU but as mentioned connecting pins 1&2 the PSU powers up and seems fine when working by itself.

I posted some details in this post.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9511

Thanks for the follow-up, its appreciated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:52 am 

Quote:

Hi All

After I got the HK fuse (the link posted by Comp 1962 : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT), I replaced it and the new one blew immediately.

As in the meanwhile I bought the EX 490 as a replacement unit, I first consider to convert my old EX470 to an eSATA Port Multiplier in which I can put my extra disks. However, I was very frustrated by the new Photo Viewer application of the EX 490, compared to the old Photo WebShare one. In fact, Photo WebShare was not user friendly (very poor sort capability), but Photo Viewer is even worse (no sorting and loss of multi user acess control), where I was expecting improvements like shooting date&time sorting capability (idealy with multy camera daylight saving time resynchronisation - my dream !).

So I decided to repair my old EX 470 in order to use it as a dedicated photo server, but before to buy a new PS for which I was not sure about the wiring compatibility (supernotebook.com is claiming EX 470 compatibility for FSP200-50PLA2, but I had a doubt), and didn’t want to make a complete rewiring without the required tools, I asked a colleague if he knew somebody capable to repair it. He denied, but just in case, investigated himself my dead PS. Fortunately, he immediatly noticed a short cut of the KBU8J single-phase bridge rectifier (just on the other side of the PS compared to the fuse, but still on the plug side at the opposite of the fan).
I found the Diotec component from this link : http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... BU8J.shtml, and bought two of it for a few bucks.
Then my colleague changed both the bridge and the fuse (I got 10 of it from HK), and the PS started (unloaded) at the first trial (I have now a bridge and some fuses left). Since then, I did mount it in my EX 470, which is working since the last two days without any problem, and have my two servers now on line.
As a result, I think that it’s interesting to spend few bucks for the fuses and a bridge, which are easy to change without to be a solder expert.

Thanks a lot to my colleague, who guess where the problem was coming from !
I hope that this story can help somebody.

Cheers.

Can you post pics and instructions for others? More and more of us are suffering from this and it does not make sense to spend $100 on a new PSU when the whole unit cost me $329.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:11 pm 

Thanks Glaps for information about KBU8J!

Got myself one and few fuses. I got T5A 5A 372 series. I ordered 382 series but at home I noticed they sold me wrong ones.
Still decided to change the fuse and the bridge rectifier. And OMG, my PSU fan starts spinning.

Now it's been powering my EX475 for few hours.

Thank you very much for information.

Thanks