It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:26 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi there,

thanks for the info! I'll give it one more shot over the weekend then, wish me luck.

Cheers

CW

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:47 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

OK, the fuse is blown. So where can I souce one of these from in the UK, any ideas?

Cheers

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:54 am 

If you find a supplier do not just buy one because what ever popped that fuse may pop it again. This was my case and yours may be different. Anyway for now I put my power supply aside so I could work on another server although these past couple days has me seeing servers in my sleep.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:03 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

What about this?

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/48257.pdf

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:35 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

One other thought. The fuse is directly after the power connector. Therefore it is inline with the fuse in the plug (also a 5V fuse). So is the second fuse actually needed?

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:03 pm 

Not that fuse. If you look at the fuse on your power supply its maked at the bottom 382. Thats the series of the fuse and its a time delay fuse. When I ordered my fuses on Ebay I got a T 5A series TR5 fuse which is a fast acting fuse which means it can not handle the inrush current. This will explain why my fuse blew. What you want is a T5A Series 382. When I ordered the fuse I was only concerned with the T5A which should of been good enough for the fuse specifcation and classification of the fuse, but after reviewing the Littlefuse documentation it became clear to me that they have several versions or series of that fuse which is just too damn confusing since all the fuses I deal with just the fuse number is enough to get the correct fuse and we are not cross refrencing fuses here.

I looked at the original fuse and used the additional information on it to look it up and so here is the link for that fuse:

http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_ ... se_382.pdf

Now I will have to call my local distributer and see if he can get me some this week. Thank you for posting that data sheet it really helped and taught an old dog a new trick

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:10 pm 

chunkywizard wrote:
One other thought. The fuse is directly after the power connector. Therefore it is inline with the fuse in the plug (also a 5V fuse). So is the second fuse actually needed?

CW

No thats the only fuse on the board that I can find as indicated in my previous post its a time lag or time delay fuse which is used to handle inrush current so it will hold when power is first applied then after that initial inrush is gone the power settles down. If you use a general purpose, fast acting or rectifier fuse they will not handle the inrush current and blow right away.

I work in an industrial environment and fuses or any circuit protection does 2 things. The first is they protect a particular device the other is abit more serious in that it not only protects a device but keeps the building from burning down or just prevents a fire from occuring. Just because something is lables 5A does not mean any 5A fuse that fits is the proper fuse.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:23 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
No thats the only fuse on the board that I can find as indicated in my previous post its a time lag or time delay fuse which is used to handle inrush current so it will hold when power is first applied then after that initial inrush is gone the power settles down. If you use a general purpose, fast acting or rectifier fuse they will not handle the inrush current and blow right away.

I work in an industrial environment and fuses or any circuit protection does 2 things. The first is they protect a particular device the other is abit more serious in that it not only protects a device but keeps the building from burning down or just prevents a fire from occuring. Just because something is lables 5A does not mean any 5A fuse that fits is the proper fuse.

It's the only fuse on the board, but I have a fuse (5A) in my plug. So if I just used an overrated fuse (or just some wire) in place of the fuse then the fuse in my plug would be protection enough surely?

An exact replacement is really hard to find. It's here http://uk.farnell.com/littelfuse-wickma ... dp/1716672 Ignore the picture, the manufacturers part number is correct according to the data you provided, but it will cost me £16 to order!

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:55 pm 

If you goto littlefuse website you can find a distributer in your country. If there are none then go to your local electrical distributer and have them cross refrence the fuse for you and see what they can do for you. They might be able to get the exact fuse for you once they know what they are looking for.

As for the fuse in your cable that you mentioned and find out what its rating is. My cable or the cable that came with my MSS is not fused but I would not by pass the fuse on the Power Supplies board and rely on the fuse in the cable because one day you may use an unfused cable and that would defeat the circuit protection.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:11 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

An update, and some new questions if I may. I tried repairing the power supply and it blow up! The fuse was not the only thing wrong with it. I am junking it and buying a new EX490 (I didn't want to spend out for a new PSU not knowing that it would definitely solve my problem). I will probably offer up the bits of the EX470 for anyone that wants them when I get around to posting a message.

Anyway, onto my questions. When my EX490 arrive I want to get my EX470 info on to it. It looks like I am going to use Alex's server recovery method for this. 2 questions:

1. When I do a server recovery does it wipe my C: drive then. I.e do I lose any programmes I have installed on the WHS (eg Squeezebox Server)? Are add-ins kept or deleted?

2. I plan at some point to replace the system drive as I am getting full on my 2 x500GB disks. Can this be achieved at the same time? ie if I put a blank drive in the system drive slot and then one of my full drives in the second slot? I hope that makes sense!

[Edit] after a bit more reading I have a bit more info. I am using duplication across the 2 500GB drives. Maybe it would be best to keep the 500GB drive you the system drive and add in 2 x1TB disks for data. If this was the case when I restore do I just put the old system drive in the bottom and 2 new 1TB disks in the next 2 slots (as my data is also on the system drive?)

Cheers

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:13 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

chunkywizard wrote:
1. When I do a server recovery does it wipe my C: drive then. I.e do I lose any programmes I have installed on the WHS (eg Squeezebox Server)? Are add-ins kept or deleted?

2. I plan at some point to replace the system drive as I am getting full on my 2 x500GB disks. Can this be achieved at the same time? ie if I put a blank drive in the system drive slot and then one of my full drives in the second slot? I hope that makes sense!

[Edit] after a bit more reading I have a bit more info. I am using duplication across the 2 500GB drives. Maybe it would be best to keep the 500GB drive you the system drive and add in 2 x1TB disks for data. If this was the case when I restore do I just put the old system drive in the bottom and 2 new 1TB disks in the next 2 slots (as my data is also on the system drive?)

1. Yes, you loose all installed programs (and programmes). Add-Ins will still be in the D:\Software\Add-Ins folder but they will need to be reinstalled. The old system drive must be placed in the bottom slot and the other old drive in the next slot. NO other drives initially.

2. I would go with the original drives for a short period then add one drive. Select the old Non-System drive and then REMOVE. When done pull that drive and add in the other new one. And then I would STOP, leaving the original System Drive in place.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
The 3rd is going to be converted to an eSATA Port Multiplier and the components are to be used for spare parts to keep my other EX470's running.

The fuse of my EX470 has blown in two parts, and even the base part gets unsolder by the heat, and I didn't need an iron to get it out.
I ordered the replacement fuse in Hong Kong (from the posted link) before to read the second page of the post, but as it's a "low blow" fuse type, I hope it will fix my problem (just have to wait the delivery now).

Anyway, I already ordered the EX490 (the 495 is not yet available in France) because I need to get my server working ASAP, and I am not sure to be able to repair the power supply, neither that other components were not damaged.

Having four drives in my EX470 plus two external ones, I will not have enough expansion bays in my new EX490, and I would be very interested to convert the old EX470 to an eSATA Port Multiplier, and have all my drives in similar chassis.
How will you proceed to do so ?

Cheers.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:43 pm 

The fuse in the EX470 is a T5A which has several versions which I found out recently. The series of this fuse should be 382 with it a time delay fuse.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:24 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
2. I would go with the original drives for a short period then add one drive. Select the old Non-System drive and then REMOVE. When done pull that drive and add in the other new one. And then I would STOP, leaving the original System Drive in place.

Hi John,

just so I understand this. You say:

1. start with old system drive
2. then add in old 2nd drive
3. then take out out 2nd drive and replace with new 1TB drive

why do you need stage 2?

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:36 am 

Comp1962 wrote:
The fuse in the EX470 is a T5A which has several versions which I found out recently. The series of this fuse should be 382 with it a time delay fuse.

Hi Comp 1962,

The power cord of my EX470 is plugged since more than a year on a lighting protected multi outlets with a 10A fuse.
This 10A external fuse did blow first, and when I “short-circuited” it, the internal T5A did blow. This makes me think that the EX470 inrush current at power on, is usually less than 10A. Then, if you consider the below characteristics of the HK fuse (the link you posted), it should survive at least 2mn under such a current level. Therefore, my main concern is that some other components (from the power supply, or worst, from the motherboard) are responsible for the T5A blowout. That’s why I immediately ordered the EX490 as a replacement unit, but let’s cross fingers (we should be lucky from time to time).

My question to you is, how will you proceed to convert the old EX470 to an eSATA Port Multiplier in which I can put my extra disks, connected through an eSATA cable to my new EX490, just having those four extra bays in the same EX enclosure type ?
I guess I should remove the mother board, and add some other electronics with a working power supply, No ?

By the way, as chunkywizard, I am interested to understand the procedure to restore my EX470 data to the new EX490, for which I an ordered an Intel E7500 as cpu upgrade.
- I understood that out of the box I should upgrade the CPU first.
- Then insert all disks in the same order than in the EX470, by keeping the EX490 stock 1 Tb system disk away (without even first booting with it to avoid “dirty” status described by yakusa).
- Then perform a Server Recovery to upgrade system softwares on the old EX470 system disk.
- Then remove some lower capacity drives in order to get at least one bay available.
- Then add the new 1 Tb EX490 system disk, which will be formatted (if not recognized as “dirty” disk).
- Then try to modify my dead EX470 in a eSATA four bays enclosure, hooked to the new EX490 in order to add my remaining disks.
Am I right ?
Does it matter that the new EX490 system disk will then be the old 500 Gb EX470 system disk ?

Thanks all for your help.
Cheers.

Attachment:
Electronics Salon fuse characteristics.jpg
Electronics Salon fuse characteristics.jpg [ 128.97 KiB | Viewed 10206 times ]

Thanks