It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: bootmgr missing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:36 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

OK, this has been a fun week. I started my adventure by troubleshooting a Home Server connector problem (post http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6877) where my connector looked normal, but wouldn't let me click on anything.

The first thing I tried was to do a reinstall from a backup off of my WHS. Reinstall completed and the first time I tried to boot I received this message: "BOOTMGR is missing, press cntrl, alt & delete"

OK, not a lot on the internet or forums, but did find this post here at MSS.net: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2656&start=0&hilit=bootmgr+missing

I have tried switching different partitions as active and still no luck. I found a new article by Philip Churchil that talks about Win7 not boting after a WHS reinstall and suspect this is my problem (article here:http://mswhs.com/2010/01/23/windows-7-may-not-start-after-you-restore-the-os-after-using-the-whs-restore-cd/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MSWHS+%28MS+Windows+Home+Server%29&utm_content=Google+Reader) but havent had any luck following these directions either. Anybody else experiance this?

Computer:
3 HDDs (only one has active partitions at the moment)
This WAS a fresh install of Win7 64

13 TB, mixed drives
400+ DVDs and 80 BD ripped using MakeMKV

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: bootmgr missing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

OK - I got things working and want to update the community in case anybody else experiances this problem...

I tried many different steps before getting this right. However, there is some comfort in knowing my backups were safe and sound on my WHS.

Final resolution:

Through the use of the WHS "Home Computer Restore CD" I booted into the recovery manager of WHS. From there I chose the restore I was looking for and then I went into the HDD manager. I deleted all partitions on my C: drive and then reformatted. Then I did the restore and rebooted.

WHILE the machine was turning off to reboot, I removed the "Home Computer Restore CD" and replaced it with the WIndows 7 install DVD. I then booted into the install DVD and chose "repair". After a quick system scan, Windows 7 determined that I had an error in my start-up section (go figure... but I started to get excited here!) and offered to fix it for me. I clicked next and then the machine completed and rebooted... when I was prompted to boot into the DVD again I DID. Then chose "repair" again and this time I selected the Win7 installation and then chose next and then "Startup Repair". This second trip into the repair process was very much required and seemed to work like a charm.

I tried every combination of techniques discussed in my original post, to include sectioning off a 100mb partition to setting different partitions as active... The above solution has now worked twice in a row (yes, I intentionally killed my machine again to see!)

Why was this necessary? I do not know, but it appears that in my particular case something is not working with just a WHY reinstall.... if anyone has any thoughts as to why this is happening feel free to drop a line. I hope my three days and 29 different restore sessions can help someone else!

13 TB, mixed drives
400+ DVDs and 80 BD ripped using MakeMKV

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank NJPhillips for this post
Comp1962, yakuza
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:15 pm 

Good to see you resolved your issue! I have WIN7 Ultimate running on one computer and your information may come in handy down the road should I ever run into the same problem. So far knock on wood all the PC Recoveries I have done have worked perfectly except on a Dell 600 which requires me to load in the Dell Drivers for the gigabit network port and with having to get the updated PC Recovery Software to recover a couple Netbooks that Blue Screened during the recovery process. Other then that there have been no real issues and as of yet I have not attempted any recovery on the WIN 7 machine.

Thanks for your information!

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:43 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for sharing your method of fixing this, hopefully it'll help other users that may experience this too. :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:33 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have been restoring a Dell laptop (switching it between XP and Windows 7 32 bit) from WHS and came across the "BOOTMGR is missing, press cntrl, alt & delete" message after restoring W7. My solution was to use the Windows Repair Disk I had burned. You need to run the repair option twice as it finds and fixes a different problem on each pass.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:04 pm 

actually i'm having the same problem with my computer.
any new suggestion?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:41 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If you are win 7 ? Then have you tried to boot with the install CD and pick Repair?
That it what I did, I forgot to backup the System reserved partition and had to boot with the install /repair, then use editbcd to create and then format the system partition then rerun the boot from install cd and pick repair, startup repair.
Here is my thread on what happened to me and how I fixed it.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14243
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:14 am 

also having bootmgr problem

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:14 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

More info would be good. if you are win7 then check my post above, the link to my thread on dealing with this problem might help.
Or shoot us some more info and we will try to help.
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:28 am 

here's the fix
http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-missing-error-on-windows-desktop-or-laptop/

Thanks