It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:56 pm 

I've read that people can connect to the MediaSmartServer via Microsoft's Remote Desktop app. I've tried on both my Mac and on a Vista PC with no luck. I get this error on both computers: http://snipr.com/1u5iq-nf4dqf

Any ideas? Currently I'm managing the server using Vista via Bootcamp on my mac but would much rather manage it from my mac os via Remote Desktop.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:38 pm 
Founder
Founder

Are you logging in as "Administrator" with the admin password you configured during setup of WHS? That error looks like you are trying to log in as another configured user...

How's the server working with your Mac otherwise? Any tips to share with other Mac users?

Thanks!
Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:45 pm 

I just tried 'Administrator' and that seemed to work. This'll be much better managing the WHS without having to fire up Fusion/Vista. The performance is pretty poor using Remote Desktop...I'm wondering if I can replace that 512MB stick of RAM with 1GB? Anyone tried that?

It works pretty well otherwise. I was having problems with Leopard seeing the windows computers on the LAN but after the latest OSX update that seemed to fix everything. One disappointment is Time Machine doesn't work with WHS...looks like Apple had to kill that feature.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:11 pm 
Founder
Founder

Every source I've seen has stated that 512mb of RAM is fine for these servers. Having said that, I've taken my server apart to see what's inside and it's only a few screws to get the front face off. The other part is removing the top to pull out the backplane board where the SATA connectors plug into the mainboard. This requires removing all the HDDs. You can then remove the mainboard and could install a bigger RAM stick.

I'd heard of some issues with the Mac and WHS, hopefully Apple gets those resolved soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:17 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

In most cases, only advanced users will use remote desktop to connect to the server remotely. In 99% of the cases, HP and MS would rather you use the Windows Home Server console since this limits what you can do to "harm" the server.

Advanced users will want to use RDP to get in the server to install software (not really suggested, but in most cases it works fine). Keep in mind that the windows firewall is on by default and the "scope" of the RDP exception is limited to the internal network. If you wish to use remote desktop over the web, make sure you change the scope of the RDP port 3389 to include all computers or you won't be able to connect. You then must goto your router and open port 3389 to the IP of the Home Server. We set ours static on the LAN so we wouldn't have problems with the server jumping on different internal IP's and breaking the port forwarding.

(** The integrated MS router tool does not open port 3389, it opens 4125 so you can use the WHS as a RDP proxy....but this is limited to using IE only)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:06 pm 

In my case I have a bunch of Macs around and cant install the console so I've got to use the Remote Desktop. Still works good cuz I can access the console from there. All in all it's all shaping up nice.

Thanks