It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:19 am 

When I watch movies from the SMB mount the movie freezes every 20 seconds. Its as if the movie is rebuffering. I have never had this problem on my NAS drives before. I get a better experience when I stream over edge network on my iPhone.

The only thing I can figure is the processor is nearly maxed out (70%) when just running the basic services and no one connected. I have the e8400 processor on order to fix that.

I have the X510 Data Vault 3TB, Airport Extreme dual band router and a Macbook Pro. The ethernet is gigabit and the Macbook is connected 802.11 N.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:44 am 

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Can you give us a bit more info on your setup? How long has the server been running? What does task manager show for memory usuage, processor and network utilization when the freeze occurs? What does task manager show when not streaming the movie? What are you streaming to/how do you have that setup? Using wired Ethernet or wireless?

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:41 pm 

I have had the server for about a week now. It runs 24/7 and has about 2.5TB of data on it. Task manager shows memory usage at ~63%, processor at 50-90%, and network utilization at 2-5%. Task manager shows about the same whether of not I am streaming to my MacBook on wifi or not.

I went into the Home Server Console and turned of media library sharing on all the folders, turned off remote access and turned off Twonky. I am able to stream a bit better now although it does "stick" for a second occasionally.

I use Orb for all remote media access so I don't really have a use for Twonky. Twonky has a horrible interface, is very slow and doesn't even work most of the time (stuck on "loading" forever).

I mounted the server in Finder on my Mac (smb://myserver) and I can see all the shares and content. I have never had an issue with the mount disconnecting as other Mac users here have reported. I didn't have any trouble setting anything up, it was very easy.

I haven't really added anything to the server for a few days so I would think balancing, indexing and other processes would be finished by now.

Previous to getting the Data Vault I was using (2) LaCie 2 Big NAS drives and a Buffalo LinkStation Live and never had trouble streaming to my computer wirelessly. I am using VLC to watch the movies as I did before.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:57 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

WHICH home server? EX47x, EX48x, EX49x, LX195, other...?

What processes are using the most CPU time? (Be sure to check the box for all users in the lower left of the Task Monitor Process tab before answering.)

Are you running Media Collection? AntiVirus (which?)?

Do you have duplication enabled? For about how much data?

It is not totally unheard of for a new server to take a number of DAYS to settle down between the media collection, the drive balancing and the initial anti-virus scans. If you loaded 2.5TB of data onto the unit before all that finished it could stretch that time quite a bit. (The EX49x units sem to garner more complaints about this behavior.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:33 pm 

I have the X510 Data Vault (see OP).

Media collection is OFF
Duplication is OFF (for all folders)
iTunes server is OFF
Video converter is OFF
Remote access is OFF
Media library access is OFF
Server reports it is balanced and indexing is finished

I have Avast server antivirus loaded and all scans run daily and finish in a timely manner. Task manager shows this process at 0%.

Before turning them off, Twonky, Firefly, and Home Server Console took most of the processor to run. After killing those processes I am able to stream better but it does still stick every now and then.

Task manager reports the processor is 5-30% now.

I have the e8400 processor on order so after the install maybe I can turn everything back on. To me the processor is just not able to handle all these services. With Twonky enabled and one user connected the processor was at 95-100% and the video never played smooth.

Thanks