It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:24 am 

Hi,

I recently added a third disk into the shared disk pool and something weird happened to the amount of disk space being reported by the DATA disk in My Computer. As you can see from the images below, the DATA disk is currently showing the amount of free space there's left collectively for all three disks, while it's showing the disk capacity for just the first shared disk. This is causing some funky things to appear in the properties window and in the disk management view... >100% free space... lol.

Before I added the third disk, the DATA disk showed:

- The TOTAL capacity of the disks
- The TOTAL free space
- The TOTAL used space

Currently it's showing:

- The capacity of the FIRST DISK (500gb)
- The TOTAL free space
- ... and it has some issues determining the used space

Is there a way for Windows to recalculate these disk statistics?

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:06 am 

Welcome to the forums.

Interesting issue; I have not seen this but have a couple quick thoughts.

1. If you have not already tried, reboot the MSS and see if that clears up the issues;

2. Pull out the offending hard drive and then reseat it to see if that helps clear the issues.

3. If that doesn't clear it up, select "Remove" for that drive and let the MSS take off all data on it, then remove the drive from the MSS; reboot. Shut down; put drive back in with MSS off; restart MSS; add it to the pool again when prompted.

You might also try the Disk Management Add in and see what that reports.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:28 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

1. I already tried rebooting. It doesn't help. I also just upgraded to Power Pack 3 to see it'll do anything. It also didn't help.

2 & 3. Unfortunately, I caught this issue a little too late. I added way too much data onto the drive pool and don't have enough free space to remove any of the three drives.

RE: Disk Management Addin.

I have it added - the second screenshot, on the left.. show the disk management addin. As you can see, I have 3 drives in the pool: 500GB, 750GB, and 1TB. The 500GB is the "primary" DATA drive that Windows sees. The other two drives were tacked on by drive extender.

Comparing the statistics from the WINDOWS DISK MANAGEMENT tool and the DISK MANAGMENT ADDIN, the free/used space matches up perfectly for the 750GB and 1TB drives.

It's ONLY the 500GB drive free/used space statistic that's messed up.

If you're a Windows Home Server owner, can you please answer this question for me? If you login to your WHS remotely and look at your primary DATA drive in My Computer... Right Click > properties.

1. Does it show the TOTAL CAPACITY of the POOL? or the TOTAL CAPACITY of just the drive?

My unit is currently showing the total capacity of just the drive.

2. Also, does it show the FREE/USED SPACE of the POOL of drives? or the FREE/USED SPACE of just the drive?

My unit is showing the total free space of the pool and is having difficulty showing the total used space. (See screenshot above.)

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:34 pm 

I had a fourth disk (500GB) that was not part of the disk pool. I wondered if adding the fourth disk would force windows to "recalculate" the disk statistics. Here's what I see AFTER I added the disk:

1. Notice the free disk space for this disk (aka. the free disk space for the pool) INCREASED. - COOL

2. The disk capacity STILL IS STUCK SHOWING the disk capacity for just the primary data disk. - NOT COOL

3. The used disk space still is displaying gibberish. - NOT COOL

Please help me out! Remote desktop into your WHS and take a look at the properties window for your primary data disk (D) and post your results. If everyone has the same problem, I wouldn't be so concerned. If I'm the only one with this weird problem, I'm going to consider doing a major backup and reinstalling the OS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:41 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Don't worry, I have the same issue. According to Microsoft, this is a known issue that has been already submitted to Microsoft Connect. And they don't seem to be correcting it in the near future. This is caused by the drive extender handle drives capacity. I think it's mentioned in the WHS documentation from Microsoft. Since you're only supposed to use the Console to access the Server and look at the storage tab, there is no need to fix this issue. Hope this helps you,

Klode

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msdcinfo for this post
leonanderson
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:55 pm 

Thanks