It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:54 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I searched here and other places with no resolution. Tried a couple of things but for others was looking for advice.

I have a recently purchased, used but upgraded, 2gb mem and AMD 3800 CPU, 470. Before I explain my issue I know I could have used the Restore function from the CD to start from a fresh base but opted not to do this as this is the second 470 in my system and a restore requires installation of the connector which would goof up the connection to the first server. The first is used for all my client backups and shares. This one will be exclusively a media server.

The issue I have is that the previous owner had the Server backups set to an external drive. The server shows in the Computers & Backup tab as HP-EX470 (Your home server). Since the external drive is not connected I can not remove the server from the tab. I have deleted the backup database in the hopes that this would free the server to be removed but it did not. The backup database is empty now. I saw references to removing "stuck" clients from the tab by using the registry but am leary of doing this with the server entry. I do not want the server listed in the Computers & Backup tab and am at a loss as to a remedy... Thoughts? :?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:13 am 

I don't really see an issue with performing a restore for your 2nd server. I think it would be the easiest solution and provide you with a fresh install. After you do your restore I would shut the 2nd server down and then remove the connector software and just reinstall the connector software on the computer you used to perform the recovery on the 2nd server then it would be configured back to the first server and all should be well and you should be back were you were before.

The only thing I can see that would be an issue would be your data on the 2nd server which you can move to another location and then put back after you restore the server. The other thing to consider is that when you purchase a used server you really want it to be fresh and clean. You do not want to inherit any issues from the previous owner and it appears you have so I would perform a FASTORY RESTORE on your 2nd server the one your posting your question about.

I know its not what you wanted to hear but I think it would be best if you do so but thats just my opinion and in the end its your server to do with as you please. Good luck with finding a solution that will work best for you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I did not reply last evening as I thought someone might have a better suggestion, but I do agree that you should fo a FACTORY RESET on the unit. DO NOT attempt to access it from the other clients until it is completely up-to-date with all updates, HP and MS. At that point you should be able to quickly and easily switch back and forth using DISCOVER.EXE ("C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe").

But do not try to switch until the new MSS is up-to-date.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks