It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:08 pm 
Founder
Founder

Land Master wrote:
While I believe I put some good information in this thread which was supplemented by screen shots by AKGEM (thanks again), my EX495 WAS DEFECTIVE and has been replaced.

Have you received any indication about what was defective? Hardware/software/network?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:34 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Land Master wrote:
While I believe I put some good information in this thread which was supplemented by screen shots by AKGEM (thanks again), my EX495 WAS DEFECTIVE and has been replaced.

Have you received any indication about what was defective? Hardware/software/network?

Not directly from HP but my own suspicions are hardware. Definitely not network as I made no changes in that regard and it is a direct connection anyway. Where the new experience differed from the old was I did NOT get a solid RED status light. Even thought I received the failed message the first time (prior to setting the static IP) the health light continued to blink Violet (White according to HP) and I just re-initiated the recovery. Didn't even shut it down and re-paper-clip it.

Could be the software DVD but I highly doubt it as everything progressed in the same fashion as the last time.

I was watching the PXE program and the only thing I noticed different (with my first failed attempt) was that I never saw the IP of 0.0.0.6 as depicted in the logs I posted above. I think it is possible that the old unit had a static IP set at the factory and would not accept the new (169.37.37.37) IP from PXE.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:10 am 

Hello,
I know this post is pretty old but thought I would give my experience with this. I just picked up a used ex490 and attempted the system factory restore. I kept getting the same "Failed on step 3 of 4" error. Here is what I did to resolve it.

1). Bare-Metalled a laptop with Win7 Ent x64. Did not load ANY applications
2). Disabled wireless card in network connections.
3). Disabled Windows Firewall and my AV software.
4). Plugged Eth cable into laptop nic and the other end into the EX490. Standard cable, not a crossover.
5). Fired up System Restore CD on the laptop, accepted eula, etc.
6). Powered up EX490 and used paperclip to click the factory reset button on face of server. Waited for led to flash violet.
7). Proceeded with HP System Restore. Waiting to connect....

After about three minutes of "waiting" I anticipated that it would fail again. I opened up the tftp app and could see that both IPs were listed under tftp server tab. PC IP was 169.37.37.38 and the EX490 was 169.37.37.37. HERE IS WHAT FIXED IT FOR ME....

8). Brought up a cmd window. Typed ping 169.37.37.37. The first 3 replies were "Destination Host Unreachable". However, just as I was about to close the cmd window and give up the 4th reply cam back good!!!! I pinged the server again and this time all four replies are GOOD!!! Shortly after this the "Waiting" status ended and I was now in the HP Recovery Mode and proceeding with the restore.

In my situation, it appeared I was connected to the server looking at the tftp tab but no activity actually occurred until I manually intitiated a ping. Its weird. Give it a try. Cheers :)

:sanjuan:
KenSmart490

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cavediver wrote:
Here guys. This was posted by dindale at wegotserved. Maybe it'll help.

Quote:
The EX495 required a direct Ethernet connection to the computer running the restore disc (you could do it over a network on the EX470). It also would not work until I disconnected the external eSATA/USB devices that held my additional disks - and the 3 internal disks had to be pulled. Essentially, I kicked off a server restore with just the 1.5TB system disc installed. Once the restore process began I inserted the remaining internal drives and plugged in the external units. Unbelieveably - that was it! The restore process recognized the shares and rebuilt everything with no additional steps involved. I re-created my users and settings - and I was up and running.

Thanks for this. I was struggling trying to do a factory reset. I left one pool drive in that I didn't care about losing data on and once I pulled it all my problems went away.

You. Da. Man.

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for this post. I have finally been able to restore my server (EX495) after it sat inactive and inaccessible for several years now.

Thanks